got myself a nice toy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got myself a nice toy!

got myself a nice toy!

aright so i got a 2010 suzuki gsxr 600 (with only 4k on it). And now i am wondering should i insure it now or wait till April? I live in an apt though!
    I can't wait till summer, its killing me!!!
    lets ride first, there is plenty of time to worry about other ******.
    www.youtube.com/rashidme

Re: got myself a nice toy!

Toss a coin.

Insure for theft as soon as you have possession of bike. You can obviously skip the collision coverage which will save you a couple of buck (literally) until spring.

Quote Originally Posted by steve220s View Post
    Insure for theft as soon as you have possession of bike. You can obviously skip the collision coverage which will save you a couple of buck (literally) until spring.
    no one insurers it for just 'theft' anymore. If you find someone, let me know, I have a couple of toys that'd I'd love to insure for theft.

I think you mean, get comprehensive insurance, which does Theft + Fire + Liability

Can it be stolen or damaged? Insure it now unless you don't care if it gets stolen before April. Is this a serious thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    Can it be stolen or damaged? Insure it now unless you don't care if it gets stolen before April. Is this a serious thread?
    Wanna help!? ......................... j/k!

I'd insure it now as you wont be using a lot of your premiums now anyways. So insuring it now vs when riding season starts only saves you $100 or so, depending on the insurer.

get insurance now. its a yearly premium anyways.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    no one insurers it for just 'theft' anymore. If you find someone, let me know, I have a couple of toys that'd I'd love to insure for theft.

I think you mean, get comprehensive insurance, which does Theft + Fire + Liability
    State Farm will make an exception in cases like these.

Well, my agent did anyway. Any time I bought a bike in winter I've had fire theft insurance for a few months at around $25/mo
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post

Well, my agent did anyway. Any time I bought a bike in winter I've had fire theft insurance for a few months at around $25/mo
    I did the same when I bought my Ninja 250 a few years ago. I didn't have my license yet so I was insuring it for just fire/theft.

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

I've had comprehensive only which is separate from liability. Never got it on my bike but I've been able to get it on cars for only like $6/mo. I've worked with a few companies that do it differently where you get liability and comprehensive and then you suspend the liability. These companies usually work out to costing around $20/mo though.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

you'll be paying for the whole year anyways so it doesn't really matter....

insure it now.....so you have atleast 4 months claim free...
    I ride hard & fast on street and track.....get the right advice @ Riders Choice .......I dive deep with The Dive Academy in Oakville.....come dive with us

When I bought my current ride, State Farm let me put comp only on it (you don't get a pink slip), for a trivial amount. Definitely protect it against theft/fire.

Insurance (at least with SF) is pro-rated. SF uses 6 month terms, and just uses an "averaging" type billing. i.e. you pay more in the winter than the actual insurance cost, to offset the higher summer costs, that way over a year, you pay a single monthly amount. If you wait till may to add liability (to get your pink slip), your going to get a hefty bill for the first 6 months, roughly 85% of your yearly cost. Hence the pro-rating. I would just put it on comp only for now, even though the liability cost is low in the winter, no sense paying for a small amount liability when you don't have to.

There is no benefit to giving them more money now than you have to. Use the capital between now and may to increase your on hand cash, should you require it temporarily between now and then
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Read all the "my bike got stolen from my condo" threads then make your choice...shouldnt be to hard.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

Give Primmum (TD insurance) a call, you only pay the premium during riding months. the rest of the year cost you nothing.
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

don't listen to anyone..... i can pick it up tonight for ya and hold on to it till your ready to insure it.. i drive a white cube van see you around 7ish......cheers

In a condo building for sure insure it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmnaked View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AllanR View Post
    I did the same when I bought my Ninja 250 a few years ago. I didn't have my license yet so I was insuring it for just fire/theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by unL33T View Post
    I've had comprehensive only which is separate from liability. Never got it on my bike but I've been able to get it on cars for only like $6/mo. I've worked with a few companies that do it differently where you get liability and comprehensive and then you suspend the liability. These companies usually work out to costing around $20/mo though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich6969 View Post
    don't listen to anyone..... i can pick it up tonight for ya and hold on to it till your ready to insure it.. i drive a white cube van see you around 7ish......cheers
    sorry...your a bit too late...

sorry...your a bit too late...

tabernac