Anybody bored?? (Gear Indicator)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody bored?? (Gear Indicator)

Anybody bored?? (Gear Indicator)

Resident Loudmouth

Re: Anybody bored?? (Gear Indicator)

i like the chicks in the speedo

great... another project on my list

My suzuki comes like that....it's real nice

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Speedy View Post
    great... another project on my list
    Let me know how that goes.
    I think I need Electrical 101 to do that project
    Resident Loudmouth

anyone want to make me one?

Quote Originally Posted by Mael View Post
    anyone want to make me one?
    I've been thinking about building something like this for a while.
    My version uses a shift register and a series of 7 individual LEDs. (as opposed the programmable controller, counter & 7 segment display)
    Both systems require about the same level electronics construction ability, but I don't have a programmer or experience using the controller.

I can program just about anything except AVR, so I'm no help with making this specific one, but it should be adapted pretty easily to an Arduino that doesn't need a programmer. Unfortunately even an Arduino Nano would be a little bigger than the custom PCB, though you wouldn't need the counter.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    I can program just about anything except AVR, so I'm no help with making this specific one, but it should be adapted pretty easily to an Arduino that doesn't need a programmer. Unfortunately even an Arduino Nano would be a little bigger than the custom PCB, though you wouldn't need the counter.
    I had a look at this board, this might be a better option for my individual LED version. The board isn't really that big and could be easily hidden under the seat.

So I made up one the other day using a PIC rather than an AVR and a counter. Unfortunately the only hall effect sensors I have are too small for hand wiring. It'll need to wait until my next Digikey order before I hook it up to the hall effect sensors for testing.

Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

So I made up one the other day using a PIC rather than an AVR and a counter. Unfortunately the only hall effect sensors I have are too small for hand wiring. It'll need to wait until my next Digikey order before I hook it up to the hall effect sensors for testing.
    Are you going to outline the steps you've made? A DIY perhaps??

edit: also where u got the items to make
    Resident Loudmouth

I didn't think all that many people were interested. I was going to make up 4 or 5 and just hand them out for $10 or something. If you really want something DIY I could design up something around an MSP430 which has a cheap programmer and just makeup the PCB's and you can order the parts and solder it up yourself, but it's going to be all through hole and the board will be bigger.

I get most of my stuff from Digikey now. digikey.com
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

I'd be interested.
    I would still rather use individual LEDs vs the 7 segment display. But, I'm thinking that would be a minor change to a decode table.

I need to learn more about these micro controllers.

I didn't think all that many people were interested. I was going to make up 4 or 5 and just hand them out for $10 or something. If you really want something DIY I could design up something around an MSP430 which has a cheap programmer and just makeup the PCB's and you can order the parts and solder it up yourself, but it's going to be all through hole and the board will be bigger.

Keep doing what u do Mark, I;m all ears
    Resident Loudmouth

If you were selling these, I'd be interested.

I picked up an Arduino UNO the other day. A few LEDs, resitors, push buttons and some programming and I have the basic system working.
    I need to get my hands on a couple of Hall sensors. Get the whole package working and move it to an Arduino Pro Mini.

Now I'm thinking Speedo Healer on the same device.

Yes, an Arduino can do all of this pretty easily. The only issue with it is the power input is not automotive rated, so it's not protected from startup surges or spikes. I've had things running without any protection on vehicles for a while, it's worth a shot, but motorcycle electrical systems seem to be really noisy from what I've seen on the bikes I've looked at. If you want some hall effect sensors from my order you can have them. My Brother/Sister-in-law live up in Brooklin.

I designed a proper 2 sided PCB for the gear indicator and sent it out to be made. Unfortunately the service takes a long time, so it'll be at least a month before I get the boards back to populate them. Added some little nice to haves like the ability to add a photo sensor to raise or lower the brightness based on how bright it is out. I'll make up 4 of them and show people if they want it and figure out the cost of the parts.

I made up a speedo healer last year, but I was using a 3.3V controller and it's a little flaky using the onboard speed sensor with a 3.3V pullup. I remade it with a 5V pic just recently and I'll test it out once the bike is running again in a week or two.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

So this works. At least it works on my desk here as I pass a magnet back and forth on it. Unfortunately I made up the final PCB a little too quickly and found a few minor shortcomings, but it should be fine.

My bike has an indicator built in, so this isn't for me. If someone else wants to be a test subject they'de have to come over for a test fitting. There's no pretty mount options for the led or anything, but at least I can conformal coat it to make it relatively safe from the elements until you make your own enclosure.

Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Looks good.
    Resident Loudmouth