IP blocked?

Thread: IP blocked?

IP blocked?

I can't pull up GTAM at work anymore, but it appears that this is a problem at the far end and not it being blocked here. A traceroute gets as far as Liquid Web's network then it dies off. Anything going on?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Re: IP blocked?

PM or email the IP and I'll have them check it out.

Cheers
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Most likely a proxy being blocked. One thing that had me "banned" was using Opera Turbo (since then, the feature has been permanently shut off).
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Bam, works again.

It could have been a proxy thing, but wouldn't ICMP still get through in that case? Pings still should have worked.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

If you were IP blocked then even ICMPs wouldn't get through. It's one of the ways to deal with less elegant (ie. fixed IP) DOS attacks.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

If your work is a large org, there could have been more then one person at work using the site. Person was a ******, blocked account and IP (you will both only have one public IP address showing for outbound traffic)
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    If you were IP blocked then even ICMPs wouldn't get through. It's one of the ways to deal with less elegant (ie. fixed IP) DOS attacks.
    Right, that's what I'm saying - I don't think it was a proxy issue, because I could not ping GTAM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    If your work is a large org, there could have been more then one person at work using the site. Person was a ******, blocked account and IP (you will both only have one public IP address showing for outbound traffic)
    It's a huge org, there is a pool of public IPs but it seemed like the whole range was blocked ... which would be odd for just GTAM but not if it was done by GTAM's webhosting themselves for whatever reason.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. I just reset my modem and changed my router's MAC address and Rogers (at the time) gave me a new IP address. Everything worked fine after.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Right, that's what I'm saying - I don't think it was a proxy issue, because I could not ping GTAM.
    Did you verify that the IPs being routed to, for GTA, were the same at work and home? I don't know how Paul has the server set up but it's conceivable that there was an IP change, to the site, and your work network is running an independent DNS. The updates might not be all that "timely."
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Did you verify that the IPs being routed to, for GTA, were the same at work and home? I don't know how Paul has the server set up but it's conceivable that there was an IP change, to the site, and your work network is running an independent DNS. The updates might not be all that "timely."
    Ah - I hadn't thought of that. Seems the most likely explanation to me. If true though, good gravy does it take a long time for DNS updates to propagate to their server.