Drift Innovation HD Camera (contender to the GoPro?)

Thread: Drift Innovation HD Camera (contender to the GoPro?)

Drift Innovation HD Camera (contender to the GoPro?)

http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-action-camera/

So I thought I'd break away from the GoPro and give chance to an underdog company. I ran into this lil guy last year and have been waiting all year to catch it during Boxing Week.
    Amazing package here==> http://pointofviewcameras.ca/drift-hd-megapack.html

It arrived at my door yesterday and I've been toying with it since then. Still waiting to give it a road test although I might try it out while snowboarding. I'm liking it so far but haven't uploaded anything yet. I'll post a review after that.

Neat Features:
    Sleak and stealthy
    Wireless remote to Rec/Stop/pic while on the go
    Water Resistant
    Rotating lens
    LCD screen to review footage, aim the camera and navigate the menus
    HDMI out
    MIC input for MotoVloggers(major deciding factor for me)(*Comes in the package^^)
    Upgraded Night mode

If you like what you see so far, give it a shot. I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am.

Anyone else have experience with this thing?

Cheers & Stay Warm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Re: Drift Innovation HD Camera (contender to the GoPro?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    http://driftinnovation.com/drift-hd-action-camera/

So I thought I'd break away from the GoPro and give chance to an underdog company. I ran into this lil guy last year and have been waiting all year to catch it during Boxing Week.
    Amazing package here==> http://pointofviewcameras.ca/drift-hd-megapack.html

It arrived at my door yesterday and I've been toying with it since then. Still waiting to give it a road test although I might try it out while snowboarding. I'm liking it so far but haven't uploaded anything yet. I'll post a review after that.

Neat Features:
    Sleak and stealthy
    Wireless remote to Rec/Stop/pic while on the go
    Water Resistant
    Rotating lens
    LCD screen to review footage, aim the camera and navigate the menus
    HDMI out
    MIC input for MotoVloggers(major deciding factor for me)(*Comes in the package^^)
    Upgraded Night mode

If you like what you see so far, give it a shot. I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am.

Anyone else have experience with this thing?

Cheers & Stay Warm
    Congrats. Upload some videos soon.
    I am a gopro user but i can't seem to convince myself to buy the drift over gopro 2. I'll most likely buy the drift for it's stealthy and sleekness.

I did some back-country cat skiing last year with a snowboarder who had a drift camera on his helmet. His raw footage turned out really well, a very good representation of what we were skiing. The remote was great, just hit the button & drop in, no waiting around while he set up to go. He could also shut it off easily while still riding the less interesting bits. He usually ran out of battery about half way through the day, so he had to budget as to which runs he wanted to record. It may be worth checking to see if the camera can operate while powered through an accessory power outlet, or if it can only be used for charging.
    When in doubt ... accelerate!

So can you only mount it on the right side? Or does the lens rotate 360 degrees?
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    So can you only mount it on the right side? Or does the lens rotate 360 degrees?
    The lens rotates so you can mount it where ever you want and just adjust the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    He usually ran out of battery about half way through the day, so he had to budget as to which runs he wanted to record. It may be worth checking to see if the camera can operate while powered through an accessory power outlet, or if it can only be used for charging.
    There's a Drift Power adapter that'll let you run up to 20hrs of footage. Also, yes the cam is operable while plugged in through outlet(car/external) or wall.

Here's a run through of all the neat features and accessories done by the beautiful MotoVlogger 808Yewutube >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwgtQbz9gzQ
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    [Arrow Slip-on]

Quote Originally Posted by gixxe_r View Post
    Congrats. Upload some videos soon.
    I am a gopro user but i can't seem to convince myself to buy the drift over gopro 2. I'll most likely buy the drift for it's stealthy and sleekness.
    I'm sure the GoPro has quite a few Pros to it. In the end I guess it's what you plan to do with it. I hear GoPro is great for professional videoeditting and Drift would be more for the motovloggers for its functionality.
    [Arrow Slip-on]

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayao12 View Post
    I'm sure the GoPro has quite a few Pros to it. In the end I guess it's what you plan to do with it. I hear GoPro is great for professional videoeditting and Drift would be more for the motovloggers for its functionality.
    Care to explain what features the GoPro has that the Drift does not that would make one more suited for video editing than the other?

I've got the Drift. As far as I can tell the only difference is that the GoPro comes with a waterproof case (the Drift is only water resistant, I heard they were coming out with a case soon though and the Drift has a display on it while the GoPro does not. Otherwise they just look a little different for the most part.
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Let's see the footage! This looks interesting, i've been holding off on the GoPro (even though have access to DISTRIBUTOR costing on it) because of its hideous form factor. I just can't get over the idiotic look of having that box my head....

From the link the battery looks to be removable, so it can be easily swapped in/out for extra filming time. Plus, having a remote, I can't think of many rides that are worth recording for 4 hours straight... we are in ontario, not west virginia.

Let's see some sample footage.

PS: waterproof case exists... a bit ugly though:
    http://pointofviewcameras.ca/drift-h...roof-case.html
    Last edited by gqelements; 01-06-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Waterproof case found