Motorcycle repairs courses

Thread: Motorcycle repairs courses

Motorcycle repairs courses

Hi! I`m looking to get a better understanding of motorcycle mechanics, and was wondering if there are any courses or books out there that you`d label as `must-take`or `must-read`for a relatively new rider. I understand Humber has a course on maintenance that`s one-day, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Would also like to do some reading at home, so book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Motorcycle repairs courses

Do the search in general discussion forum, people definitely have asked about these courses before. Several colleges offer the courses and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks!

RTI has started this course as well, I don't know what it's like (i didn't take it) but when I was visiting some friends they were looking at the piston on the bike so it looks like they go fairly in depth.
    x

Best thing for me was buying an old bike and fixing her up. All the trouble shooting etc has taught me ALOT. And there are people out there who can help you figure it out. Dotheton has been an amazing source of information.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Best thing to do is read your owners manual cover to cover. Then maybe a Haynes manual or similar. I know Centennial College offers a course at their Warden/Eglinton campus.
    The blues ain't about theory, they's about therapy.

Hi - thanks for everyone's responses! I've done a bit of research and am thinking about signing up for the Centennial Course later on - it looks like the best bang for buck as there's a lot of hands-on work as opposed to just sitting in a classroom.

come out and ride more, coffee break, chat and learn......otherwise, just post a thread, everyone's friendly out there!
    Know Yourself and Follow Your Dream, Nothing Is Impossible. You Have a Dream, You Go Get It .

+1 on a Haynes book. That thing saved me a ton of coin. I had more confidence in doing simple-moderate jobs myself. Even the most skillful repairs looked easier when you've got a step-by-step instruction.

I too want to take that centennial course just for my own experience. Read thru the course outline and they teach you quite a bit. But i think it goes as long as 4 semesters P/T for the full course. =s
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

Quote Originally Posted by Chineseteapot View Post
    Hi - thanks for everyone's responses! I've done a bit of research and am thinking about signing up for the Centennial Course later on - it looks like the best bang for buck as there's a lot of hands-on work as opposed to just sitting in a classroom.
    I can vouch for the Centennial program, definitely a great way to go: http://db2.centennialcollege.ca/ce/c...icateCode=7825

The main instructor is Scotty from Snow City Cycle. Scotty is a great guy, loads of experience and very good at including individual interests in his courses.

The best thing about these courses is they save you time in learning about each topic, since the alternative is searching for internet help or asking buddies who may be well-meaning but could have the wrong idea about certain things.

But they are not a replacement for your Haynes/Clymer manual. You will gain a lot of confidence in doing the work yourself, after working on their school bikes first. You still need to learn a lot yourself about your own bike, but the program will give you great start.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYZ View Post
    I can vouch for the Centennial program, definitely a great way to go: http://db2.centennialcollege.ca/ce/c...icateCode=7825

The main instructor is Scotty from Snow City Cycle. Scotty is a great guy, loads of experience and very good at including individual interests in his courses.

The best thing about these courses is they save you time in learning about each topic, since the alternative is searching for internet help or asking buddies who may be well-meaning but could have the wrong idea about certain things.

But they are not a replacement for your Haynes/Clymer manual. You will gain a lot of confidence in doing the work yourself, after working on their school bikes first. You still need to learn a lot yourself about your own bike, but the program will give you great start.
    Heard great things about the Centennial courses also, including the Gearing Up rider training programs they offer.