Illinois Bikers Get Ready to Run Red Lights

Thread: Illinois Bikers Get Ready to Run Red Lights

Illinois Bikers Get Ready to Run Red Lights

Re: Illinois Bikers Get Ready to Run Red Lights

Misleading thread title.

Allowed to treat a red light as a stop sign if it is inoperative (e.g. sensor does not respond after a period of time).

I've been doing this for years....but I don't wait 120 seconds!! I'll wait a minute and then proceed if clear.
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard
    '86 Yamaha BW200

So the law doesn't state that they have to wait for 120 it is just spoken that was what they decided? That'll be interesting

Several US states have had similar legislation for a long time that allows motorcycles to proceed cautiously through a red light once they've waited some period of time. The description of the amount of time varies. The Illinois legislation is very fuzzy about how long one must wait.
    2010 BMW S1000RR

what do you guys do if the light don't change, here in GTA,

I'm down in Niagara, on my way home from work there's a light I run almost every other day. It's on a service rd with an advanced coming the other way, I wait till the last car goes through from the other direction then go. One day for the heck of it I sat through three lights trying everything I've read about triggering the sensors and nothing worked.
    I am disappointment in you're grammar

Legally?

If it is permissible to make a right turn from the lane that you are waiting in (e.g. 1 lane in each direction - no designated left-turn lane) then make a right followed by a U-turn or turn around in a driveway. U-turns are legal in Ontario unless either prohibited by a sign or if there is obstructed visibility.

If there is a lane to the right of you then to legally make that right turn, you have to back up and then go into the right lane, then do the above.

Reality on questionable grounds ... get off the bike and go press the pedestrian crosswalk button. I've heard that this is technically illegal on the grounds of parking/stopping/etc in a traffic lane, but as long as that light is red, you are not going anywhere anyhow, and if there is no one around, where is the cop that is going to give you a ticket for that ... particularly if he understands what is going on, and even if you were to get such a ticket, an explanation to the prosecutor in court is likely to get it tossed. Done it many times, never had a problem.

Just waiting and waiting, then going across on the red, is begging for trouble from that cop who just happens to come into view on the cross street at the moment that you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    I'm down in Niagara, on my way home from work there's a light I run almost every other day. It's on a service rd with an advanced coming the other way, I wait till the last car goes through from the other direction then go. One day for the heck of it I sat through three lights trying everything I've read about triggering the sensors and nothing worked.
    Send the municipality a letter explaining the problem. There's a reasonable chance that they'll fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Send the municipality a letter explaining the problem. There's a reasonable chance that they'll fix it.
    I did, they told me they had fixed it but no. I would do turn right and do a u-turn but it's a busy street and you have to be 50' from an intersection to do one (got a ticket for doing one too close one time)

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    I am disappointment in you're grammar

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    I did, they told me they had fixed it but no. I would do turn right and do a u-turn but it's a busy street and you have to be 50' from an intersection to do one (got a ticket for doing one too close one time)

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    Then tell them that they didn't fix it well enough. It involves tweaking sensor sensitivity.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

u turns are hard to do in mississauga, becuase of the concrete islands that run forever. on a bike without a fairing, you still bottom out your pipes or centre stand. alot of grief just to turn left. i run reds, when the light doesnt know i'm there. i wait as short as possible but do it safely.

It is possible to make intersections trigger by bicycles.
    Lower Base and Regional road 25 is an example.
    They actually have a bicycle painted on the road to show where bikers should go to trigger it.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Just run the red when the coast is clear. Cops know all about this problem. So do the justice of peace.

I have ran thru a few red lights, its much better then walking thru them. I find it more safe when i run.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Several US states have had similar legislation for a long time that allows motorcycles to proceed cautiously through a red light once they've waited some period of time. The description of the amount of time varies. The Illinois legislation is very fuzzy about how long one must wait.

I am unaware of other states that have this provision. Do you have a list of these posted somewhere ?

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    I am unaware of other states that have this provision. Do you have a list of these posted somewhere ?
    No, but there is an extensive discussion about it on ADVrider. (Sorry to mods if this is inappropriate reference).
    2010 BMW S1000RR

if the mod squad doesnt like it...they will delete it anyway.