Buying a motorcycle in the winter

Thread: Buying a motorcycle in the winter

Buying a motorcycle in the winter

Hey guys,
    Once again more questions which I can't really seem to find an answer to! I received some great tips from GTAM when I was buying my first bike but now it's on to the second (hopefully!) and one of the issues I run up on from some people posting their bikes is that they won't even start the bikes to see how it runs because it's been winterized. Is this normal? I understand the 'no ride' policy, esp now in the winter. But is it reasonable to purchase a motorcycle without even having a chance at starting it? Let alone letting it run to hear how the engine runs.
    I'm not too comfortable with that type of deal, but not sure what's normal for this time of year shopping.
    Thanks!

Re: Buying a motorcycle in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by mimico_polak View Post
    Hey guys,
    Once again more questions which I can't really seem to find an answer to! I received some great tips from GTAM when I was buying my first bike but now it's on to the second (hopefully!) and one of the issues I run up on from some people posting their bikes is that they won't even start the bikes to see how it runs because it's been winterized. Is this normal? I understand the 'no ride' policy, esp now in the winter. But is it reasonable to purchase a motorcycle without even having a chance at starting it? Let alone letting it run to hear how the engine runs.
    I'm not too comfortable with that type of deal, but not sure what's normal for this time of year shopping.
    Thanks!
    Just because it was winterized doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to start it and let it run for a couple mins to show it starts.
    I would never buy a bike that the seller wouldn't let me start it and hear it running let alone a test drive to make sure everything is straight.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

A buyer has some reasonable expectations to solidify their purchasing decision. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that the seller will demonstrate that the bike runs and that the electronic elements function.

The fact that the bike has been 'winterized' means nothing if the bike is for sale.

Winterized usually means that the fuel stabilizer was added to fuel and the battery was attached to the battery tender (or removed and attached to the tender). If it's a carburated bike, then some sellers drain the fuel from carbs. There is nothing that prevents seller from starting the bike to demo it running. If they are selling the bike, then they should expect that the buyer will ask them to start the bike.

Yes you guys are right, I told the guy thanks but no thanks. I'm not going to buy a bike now, only to find out it doesn't start.

If the weather keeps up as it is with no snow on the ground I would even ask for a test ride but I know a lot of people won't allow that but that's not as critical as actually getting it running to see how it starts (any sputtering/issues from cold start/ticking/fluids etc).

Usually, even in the summer, the owner/seller of the bike will not let you ride the bike unless you have the money ready to pay for it, so if you damage the bike during the ride, the bike is yours and the money is paid.