problem registering my antique motorcycle

Thread: problem registering my antique motorcycle

problem registering my antique motorcycle

I recently tried to transfer the ownership of my 1977 cb550k with a unfit status. But was asked for an apraisal. The bike can't be moved other then on a trailer which I don't have. How is it I'm required to have an apraisal done on a bike that I'm trying to register as unfit? Shouldn't this only be necessary for insurance purposes? Any help would be great

Re: problem registering my antique motorcycle

that bike doesnt have a 17 digit vin number, so it requires a different form, unless the person at the mot got it wrong, this might be a new deal when your trying to transfer, even an unfit stated motorcycle. the mot shouldnt care about the apraisal, at this point, all they want is your tax dollars on the bike.
    Last edited by Stewart; 01-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.

I bought an older vehicle a few years back (it was unfit as well), had to get it appraised when I bought it before I could finish transferring the ownership.. I can't remember the exact reason why they made me do it, though.. but the MOT wanted to know what the vehicle was worth at the time

I registered two bikes a 1975 and a 1984 this year with no appraisals and no problems. In fact the lady said the appraisal for registration is only for bike that are 10 years old or newer

[QUOTE=jholt1;1710790]I recently tried to transfer the ownership of my 1977 cb550k with a unfit status. But was asked for an apraisal. The bike can't be moved other then on a trailer which I don't have. How is it I'm required to have an apraisal done on a bike that I'm trying to register as unfit? Shouldn't this only be necessary for insurance purposes? Any help would be great[/QUOTE

Are you sure they said you need an appraisal and not a safetyÉ You can get an appraiser to come to your house BTW. I had a similar problem last year but was asked for a safety and not an appraisal because the bike was unfit. To get a safety done this time of year you`d have to call Rosey Toes and Ted will come to your house too. I think you need an appraisal for cars that are over 15 years old and not bikes. I`d go to a different MTO and try again. Something isn`t right about what they told you.

[QUOTE=Prospect;1710818]
    Quote Originally Posted by jholt1 View Post
    I recently tried to transfer the ownership of my 1977 cb550k with a unfit status. But was asked for an apraisal. The bike can't be moved other then on a trailer which I don't have. How is it I'm required to have an apraisal done on a bike that I'm trying to register as unfit? Shouldn't this only be necessary for insurance purposes? Any help would be great[/QUOTE

Are you sure they said you need an appraisal and not a safetyÉ You can get an appraiser to come to your house BTW. I had a similar problem last year but was asked for a safety and not an appraisal because the bike was unfit. To get a safety done this time of year you`d have to call Rosey Toes and Ted will come to your house too. I think you need an appraisal for cars that are over 15 years old and not bikes. I`d go to a different MTO and try again. Something isn`t right about what they told you.
    No i needed a safety but i did not need appraisal

Here's the scoop. Yes, according to Service Ontario/MTO offices, appraisals are required for registering vehicles over 20 years old. But get this, not all offices enforce this rule and the MTO can't seem to get their stories straight. Best answer I've come up with is that some offices require an appraisal and some don't. Best thing to do is to keep trying until you find an office that doesn't ask for the appraisal. Hint: Queensway and Kipling.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Here's the scoop. Yes, according to Service Ontario/MTO offices, appraisals are required for registering vehicles over 20 years old. But get this, not all offices enforce this rule and the MTO can't seem to get their stories straight. Best answer I've come up with is that some offices require an appraisal and some don't. Best thing to do is to keep trying until you find an office that doesn't ask for the appraisal. Hint: Queensway and Kipling.
    I went to Sheppard and Yonge and didnt need one.

I think part of your problem which is prob getting them to look at the bike info more closely is the 'unfit' status. That usually makes things a pain in the butt.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I'll try some different mto offices, thanks for the help. Does anyone know anywhere that does do apraisals just for argument sake? Around the hamilton burlington area?

Ask Dalton Timmis, they deal with that.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40