Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton

Thread: Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton

Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton

I will not name the company because they've used 3 strikes with me already and I wouldn't not even bother with them if they offered to re-coat. I cannot trust my parts with this guy. I will say the company at one time did advertise on this webpage and are located North of Brampton.

I had my brand new 2-stroke exhaust coated at this location approx 3 years ago. 2 other items with this vendor and the three full strikes were earned and I've never been back. I thought I was done with them... however it seems bad workmanship can show up later.

The exhaust is rusting through the ceramic coating!

My bike hasn't been drive a great deal, maybe in the 3 years 3000km? I believe the 1st year the parts were ready I didn't even get them on the bike. I was caught in the rain 1 time during this period and that was a short distance from home. The bike and I have never had an accident, neither has the exhaust been scraped on the ground or scratched during installation. The bike has fairings so the exhaust at least directly cannot blast road bits at the exhaust parts.

I simply believe the coating was to thin or the company failed to prep completely and properly.

Hard to find, disposable income wasted - Do not believe this guy when he says he's the best. Aftermarket exhaust is expensive enough and I would have thought this gentleman would have appreciated what he was working on.

No way I can afford to have this coating removed and redone - hello BBQ paint.

Last edited by YamahaFazor; 01-01-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Re: Ceramic Exhaust Powder Coating - Rusting - Thumbs Down - North of Brampton

Hmm. I think you should contact TIER 1 coating...Jeff is a really good guy.

http://www.facebook.com/TIER1CustomCoatings

Too bad you won't mention who did the work....as i would love to make sure I never go there
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

I searched the forum and found other members with the same problem...

Screwball... I mean Fireball coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaFazor View Post
    I searched the forum and found other members with the same problem...

Screwball... I mean Fireball coatings.
    ah! Yes....i heard about issues with them too.

Noted. Stay away from them.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

glad you came clean...just to protect the rest of us in the future, cheers man.

I was planning to use them, now I'm thinking twice. That said, there is a distinct difference in the purpose and finish of powder coat and ceramic coat. Ceramic is not a rust proof process. Did you give him a chance to make it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo gpz View Post
    I was planning to use them, now I'm thinking twice. That said, there is a distinct difference in the purpose and finish of powder coat and ceramic coat. Ceramic is not a rust proof process. Did you give him a chance to make it right?
    Ceramic & powder will both protect the substrate from corrosion if they are applied over a properly prepped substrate & the coating is not breached.

You are correct that there is a distinct difference between the purpose of powder & ceramic.

Powder coating is a highly durable decorative finish for metallic parts, but it is generally not intended for exhaust applications.

The type of ceramic coating on that exhaust is a thermal barrier ceramic coating that is intended for high temperature applications such as exhaust systems & turbos. It is formulated to withstand egt's without coating failure & also keeps exhaust heat in the system by acting as a barrier & reducing heat dissipation through the pipe walls.

I shall quote the proprietors webpage ".....and excellent corrosion resistance"

The pictures speak for themselves.

I'm burnt out, frustrated and have empty pockets.

I should have left the exhaust as it was. At least it would be my own fault if they rusted and I would still have the cool look of the custom made pipes with welds etc. The vendor should have recognized the value of them and done the work in accordance with what was necessary or simply advised they were incapable of doing the job.

It's a shame how many people these days don't take pride in their work and do ****** jobs.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36

Yes Jeff, just recently powder coated 5 wheels for me. Good guy, delivered on time, finish looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    Hmm. I think you should contact TIER 1 coating...Jeff is a really good guy.

http://www.facebook.com/TIER1CustomCoatings
    "It was a mechanical problem with my right hand applying the brake when it shouldn't have."

Had a set of jollymoto pipes on my 2 stroke a while back. The clear finnish on them burnt off in a matter of months so I prepped them and just painted them with high temp engine paint. The finnish lasted till I sold the bike 45k later and the guy that bought it never had an issue either. I dont think your really need ceramic coating on 2 stroke exhausts.
    I plan on leaving this world the same way i came in...... Bloody and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    Had a set of jollymoto pipes on my 2 stroke a while back. The clear finnish on them burnt off in a matter of months so I prepped them and just painted them with high temp engine paint. The finnish lasted till I sold the bike 45k later and the guy that bought it never had an issue either. I dont think your really need ceramic coating on 2 stroke exhausts.
    Ceramic coating is not purely for aesthetics, when done properly it is supposed to reduce heat transfer from the hot exhaust. This keeps the area surrounding the exhaust cooler, and keeps the exhaust moving faster (ultra-simplification, don't dogpile on me)
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

I purchased the ceramic coating in hopes of preventing rust and eliminating maintenance. The rest was bonus....

Well bonus if the ceramic stuck to the exhaust!
    The exhaust currently lists at $560.....

I've received a few sympathetic messages thank you.
    Last edited by YamahaFazor; 02-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.