Crashing in the USA / OHIP question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crashing in the USA / OHIP question

Re: Crashing in the USA / OHIP question

I for one would never leave Canada without additional coverage.
    My company doeds provide such insurance, so I never have to worry about it.
    However. One time I did have a minor issue when in Virginia. It costed me 1,500 bucks for some routine checks.

When my friends organize a Deals Gap trip, we do not want any of out group traveling there without insurance.

A friend would not let another friend travel there to ride recklessly without propper insurance.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

i have benifits from work with blue cross that aso includes Viator group travel insurance. 60days per trip

I was under the impression that your mortorcycle insurance policy would cover your costs (depending on our policy limits), if you were to get into a motorcycle accident. Blu cross is travellers insurance , which may not cover you in case of a vehicle accident which you already have insurance. Personally I think blu cross is a waste of money. I purchased a policy through them when I took a trip to Veges. When I was down there I had to visit a walk in clinic and got some tests and anti biotics. BLu cross and OHIP only covered the first 50 dollars of the 500 dollar bill. So I would be be very carefull when purchasing a policy through blu cross. Especially when you do it over the phone. I was fortunate my work benifits covered my costs.
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 01-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Any recommended insurance companies to go with when traveling to the US? Preferably ones with just an online form and CC payment to make it nice and easy.
    CAA.
    $68 for the year for 5 million coverage.
    Can't go wrong.
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

so our AB benefits don't cover us? what do they cover?
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    so our AB benefits don't cover us? what do they cover?

http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/d...ts_Cvrg_ON.pdf

no mention of any coverage out of country
    x

With my current employer, I have some form of automatic travel insurance that automatically kicks in if the trip is less than two weeks long. If you have a Manulife drug card you may have the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Not all health insurance is equal. Generally, riding a motorcycle on the road is considered a "normal" activity and normal travel insurance (e.g. Blue Cross) will cover you. As soon as there is a competition in any way, shape, or form, or off-highway events, then you had better start asking questions about the exclusions in the policies.
    Not only is "racing" excluded from normal policies, it's basically impossible to get it covered under ANY form of out-of-country health insurance. So think long and hard about doing track days in the US.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    OHIP covers the cost of a band aid and the opportunity to use a washroom in other countries...

we got $300 back from OHIP out of a $5K hospital bill
    If you don't mind, what do you get for $5K?

My highside at the Gap last yr. was a $9700 hospital bill....Thank god for travel ins. best $36 ever ...oh and thanks to Jared Barnes for talking the tenn. state trooper out of a ticket or I probably wouldn't have been covered....ins. wanted a copy of the police report....no tickets, no report still took almost a yr to get everyone paid...hospital,doctors, radiology,ambulace....etc...
    Trust me....travel ins... is not an option its a 100% MUST

Quote Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
    My highside at the Gap last yr. was a $9700 hospital bill....Thank god for travel ins. best $36 ever ...oh and thanks to Jared Barnes for talking the tenn. state trooper out of a ticket or I probably wouldn't have been covered....ins. wanted a copy of the police report....no tickets, no report still took almost a yr to get everyone paid...hospital,doctors, radiology,ambulace....etc...

That's an important twist, the insurance company looking to see if you are at fault for your injuries. Insurance is great, collecting can be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
    Mixed emotions on the claim challenge.

1) The insurance company sold you a policy in case you might have an accident but having an accident is cause for disallowing a claim.

2) They see a run on the Dragon as a speed contest which is not covered. That could get into splitting hairs. Is one MPH over a speed contest?

I don't like the fuzzy direction this could go.

So Im heading to Georgia, USA for a training camp with school in February, 10 days. Insurance is mandatory (no brainer) Where can I go or call for insurance.

Go read the first page again

http://www.useblue.com/index.en.html

blue cross is another choice.

There's no reason to drop $50 on insurance if you intend on doing a motorcycle trip or anything else longer than a day or so. I think the risk ratio of not getting it when you go to the buffalo outlet malls is acceptable, but if you're doing a motorcycle trip to deals gap then it's definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mindactivated View Post

There's no reason to drop $50 on insurance if you intend on doing a motorcycle trip or anything else longer than a day or so. I think the risk ratio of not getting it when you go to the buffalo outlet malls is acceptable, but if you're doing a motorcycle trip to deals gap then it's definitely worth it.
    A few years ago an older lady went cross border shopping to Buffalo and had a stroke or heart attack there. The hospital did everything they could do to save her but she died anyway. The family fought the charges but the hospital got about $150,000 from her estate.

Your gamble.

Also re-read my post and think about the hospital discharging you with a broken back. Save $50 and spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair, all over the price of a case of decent beer?

People have lost their homes over stuff like this. In some cases parents have lost theirs homes to bail out a kid who tried to save a few bucks.

One of my gripes about OHIP is that we never see the amount of the bill and therefore never put a value to the treatment. IT ISN"T FREE, it's hidden. In the USA it isn't hidden. Like I said, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mindactivated View Post

No disrespect, but are you nuts? Insurance through CAA is something like $17 a week. You would go shopping in Buffalo to save a few hundred dollars but risk being down a few hundred thousand if you get seriously injured.

I used to use CAA as they are convenient (call, give credit card number, write down policy number and you're done). Never had a claim with them and am now covered so I don't need separate coverage anymore. I know someone that had a medical claim through CIBC insurance that went very well. If I had to buy insurance, I would give CIBC first shot as I have seen that they pay.

I have coverage thru TD Monnex (same as my bikes / cars / house ).

http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/travel/solutions

It provides me with coverage for unlimited number of 60 days trips out of country. I bought a 5 million dollar policy thru them and costs me roughly $130 / year. The 60 day trips is a bonus for me because I have been on a 5 week holiday before. Most allow only 15, 16 or 17 day policies and you have to 'buy' the additional days. I believe I have a 250 deductible, so only my first 250 I have to pay out of pocket, they will cover the rest.
    Last edited by chiller; 01-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."