So who here's a shiftworker?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So who here's a shiftworker?

So who here's a shiftworker?

Transferred into a new dept. and after a month of training on dayshift, tonight I finally fly on my own. 12 hour shifts, 7 to 7. I get every second weekend off.

I'll be all by myself in the plant, doing tests and paperwork and monitoring processes. Haven't done shift work in over 12 years, and it was only 8 hour shifts then. I bought new darkening blinds and earplugs so I can try and sleep when I get home. Problem is there's construction 500m away and they're driving foundation piles into the ground at the moment. Hope I'm able to sleep through that.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Re: So who here's a shiftworker?

see the late night thread
    x

Make sure it's dark and wear the earplugs. I also find taking melatonin when I go to bed after a nightshift helps me stay asleep longer (otherwise I'm up after 4hrs).
    2006 GSXR 1000
    2007 GSXR 600 (track - sold)

PM me if you have a good track bike for sale

I never had issue with light, but sound was a big problem. I started sleeping with a fan on, in the summer pointed towards me, and in the winter pointed away. I actually have a white noise app that use instead of the fan now.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

A great sleep always starts with some form of personal massage

Last edited by SunnY S; 01-01-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Transferred into a new dept. and after a month of training on dayshift, tonight I finally fly on my own. 12 hour shifts, 7 to 7. I get every second weekend off.

I'll be all by myself in the plant, doing tests and paperwork and monitoring processes. Haven't done shift work in over 12 years, and it was only 8 hour shifts then. I bought new darkening blinds and earplugs so I can try and sleep when I get home. Problem is there's construction 500m away and they're driving foundation piles into the ground at the moment. Hope I'm able to sleep through that.
    Sounds like my work schedule (which I've been working for over 8 years). If you get decent earplugs that should help you sleep through the worst of it. Not sure what you can do about ground vibration though.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa

Get some custom ear plugs made at the next bike show Since I got mine I've used them more for sleeping durring the day then for riding.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I work a rotating schedule of Day Shifts, Afternoon Shifts, and Night Shifts. It's tough going from a Day Shift to a Night shift but I find waking up at 5am much worse than having to work through the night.

Being sure to tell family and friends to leave you alone is always a good idea....nothing worse than someone calling you in the middle of the day to chat. (or knocking on your door)

I'm a fan of the white noise and the dark curtains. Too bad my neighbours are the noisiest bunch around.

Keep a glass of water near your bedside so if you wake up parched you don't need to go far....just take a drink and pass back out.

My GF works Nights too and she's all about the Melatonin.
    Last edited by slowbird; 12-29-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Couple of observations so far..

I need a freakin' toothbrush and paste. By 0100 I have swamp mouth, especially after 5 cups of Earl Grey tea. Also, my eyes feel gritty and burning, will have to get some visine or something.

I'm looking into the melatonin thing, supposedly I'm supposed to consult my doctor first so I'll do that on a day off.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

7pm to 7am here as well. But I sleep like I'm dead.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

I work 3 shifts as well.Been doing it in different modes for 38 years.What is this white noise thing?
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by imnothng View Post
    I never had issue with light, but sound was a big problem. I started sleeping with a fan on, in the summer pointed towards me, and in the winter pointed away. I actually have a white noise app that use instead of the fan now.
    I just have an air purifier going. It accomplishes 2 things

Quote Originally Posted by S500K View Post
    A great sleep always starts with some form of personal massage
    I won't even ask...

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    I work 3 shifts as well.Been doing it in different modes for 38 years.What is this white noise thing?
    A constant noise, without fluctuation or change in tone. Noises which change in pitch and tone are more annoying than those which are constant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
    7pm to 7am here as well. But I sleep like I'm dead.
    When I work a 12 hour overnight I have problems staying up never had a problem sleeping.

To the op just work harder at work and you'll have no problem sleeping

07:30 - 07:30, 2 weeks days 2 weeks night every other weekend a 3 day weekend.

I generally don't have to much trouble sleeping. White noise is a god send to block the day to day noises from neighbors and pets. I use a fan. Close the shutters on the windows and bury myself under the duvet & pillows. I usualy run on 5-7hrs sleep anyway, if I sleep to much I get over tired, esp if i am awoken during the deep part of sleep. Phones are set to silent or in another room. If I'm wired when I get home a beer or two after an honest days work and I pass out like a light weight.

I've been doing shift work for over 13yrs now and I find transitions from days to night (and vise versa ) not to bad, though sometimes they can be rough.

Personally the part I like best is weekdays off. Roads and stores not nearly as busy as weekends and if I am working on something i only need wait 3 days at the most to have another "weekend".
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

I've not done it in several years, but the good things about the night shift was:

No bosses around
    Golf in the morning if I felt like it!
    Riding during the day, when everyone else is working!
    I was able to sleep the day away with the TV on, as background noise.

mgbmike

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

My shiftwork's inconsistent, but I usually start some time in the evening & finish early morning. I got really thick curtains in my room so even when the sun's out, you'd never know if you were inside my room.

But I'm near-impossible to wake up, hate going to sleep, and get as little sleep as I need,...so ymmv lol.

Btw, try the super thick curtains before you try melatonin. & apparently, one of the biggest factors for people not being able to fall asleep is that they save all their ruminating for the end of their day (when they try to sleep)

Tried the white noise thing and it worked this morning. Slept from 6:30 - 12:30

Down loaded a free app to my phone, it has about 10 white noises to chose from and you can set it for how long you want it on for and has an alarm too.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
    I work a rotating schedule of Day Shifts, Afternoon Shifts, and Night Shifts. It's tough going from a Day Shift to a Night shift but I find waking up at 5am much worse than having to work through the night.

Being sure to tell family and friends to leave you alone is always a good idea....nothing worse than someone calling you in the middle of the day to chat. (or knocking on your door)

I'm a fan of the white noise and the dark curtains. Too bad my neighbours are the noisiest bunch around.

My GF works Nights too and she's all about the Melatonin.
    +1 Going from Midnights to days is the worst especially when I only have 3 days to switch over.

I heard melatonin works - alot of people I work with take it, though I havent tried it. I heard you're only supposed to take it for 3 months then stop? Other people suggest ny-quil or gravol to help sleep.

Neighbours are the worst for noise which is why I need to move to the country.