criminal lawyer fees

Thread: criminal lawyer fees

criminal lawyer fees

anyone have any kind of idea how much a lawyer costs ?

ballpark figure

Re: criminal lawyer fees

Modestly.... $150-$200 an hour at minimum? or you might get a flat fee. Really depends on the lawyer/quality/experience. It could be more if you want a Cokran clone. I say call the Law Society of Upper Canada. They have a free lawyer referral service so you'll have a free initial consultation (time/solicitor pending).

I can probably do a referral. But I don't know about the fees. I know they are good tho.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

I've paid $10000 - $30000 for pretrial work and trial's. I've also paid $5000 for one appearance in court. I've paid $40000 for an appeal. I was quoted up to $120000 for an appeal. The prices range on the lawyers experience and how much work they tell you they are going to do. Try and find a good lawyer that understand's your case, and handles your case based on logic rather than just emotions. A lot of lawyers will try to hype you up before you sign the retainer agreement promising you the world, but your best bet is to find a straight shooter who tells you like it is and looks out for your best interest.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

It wasn't a criminal issue but my lawyer told me if he had to dress for court the minimum was $10K so Redballs' numbers could be pretty realistic. The $10K isn't just for putting on a suit. It includes a lot of prep work so he doesn't show up useless.
    IIRC correctly one of our members got hit with a bogus dangerous driving charge (Criminal offence) and it cost him big $$ before getting it thrown out. I'm not sure if he mentioned the total.
    If a person is innocent they have to fight the fight. If they did the deed they have to weigh the options of risk of trial vs a plea along with the financial costs of the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post

ballpark figure
    Generally, they start at around $250/h to $500/h.

If your case isn't too complex, you could ask to speak with an associate (recently licenced) or their articling student (soon to be licenced), which would cost you less. And, if money's really tight, you could go to the legal clinics at either of the law schools in TO (Osgoode and UofT), although they likely won't take on any serious criminal charges.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post

ballpark figure
    All depends whats the issue , what kind of lawyer are we talking , etc, maybe if you can more specific ...

You get what you pay for. This is for family court but my first lawyer was $150 an hour (he was a knob), second lawyer is $300 per hour, worth every penny.
    You can't fix stupid

Befriend a Criminal Lawyer... it pays off huge!
    "I live in my own reality, You are just a guest"

2010 GSX-R 600 (RIP - ate by a jetta)
    2011 GSX-R 600 (my 2010's evil reincarnation)

***Disclaimer: I am usually bored at work or drunk when on this forum***

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Befriend a Criminal Lawyer... it pays off huge!
    for idiots maybe, the rest of the population would do way better befriending a real estate or family lawyer.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.