This is BS!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is BS!!

Angry This is BS!!

This year i got my first bike in canada a ninja 250 in june. I got the insurance via TD/Primum for $3000. when i got the insurance the agent said that the 3000$ would cover me till june 2012 and that i would need to get a new slip in march as the slip that would give me would expire. Now few days back i was looking at a ninja 650r add on kijiji and just out of curiosity i called TD for a quote on it. After i got the quote i also asked how much would be my quote for the 250 next year. The lady said that my will be $4800 starting march 07 2012 . When i said thats not possible since i was supposed to be covered till june she said that the insurance renews in march and the payments only cover the riding season and the months left till next riding season is "Free". I talked to the supervisor and he said the exact same thing. So bascially i duped into paying 3 f---ing grand for 4months of riding??? And not only that my insurance will increase by 1800 instead decreasing which i previously thought when buying my motorcycle?

Is there anyway i can get my 4 months of riding covered which i was promised from march to june?
    Is it normal for bike insurance to be this expensive for a 250??? I would have to either sell my bike or ride without insurance if i dont get cheaper insurance and i dont want to have to sell my bike, its been my dream since i was 11...
    Any other companies i should try?Will try Cornerstone and Desjardins.

Also apparently if i cancel my insurance with TD and go with another company will it give me a bad record with the insurance companies thus increasing my premium. Is that true?

Re: This is BS!!

3 grand for a 250 ? holy crap.

I would have ridden with no insurance, and taken the fine if i got caught...lol

currently, i pay 500 a year for a 650

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    3 grand for a 250 ? holy crap.

I would have ridden with no insurance, and taken the fine if i got caught...lol

currently, i pay 500 a year for a 650
    WTH?

What company are u with? And ur riding experience?

I am 22 with m2. Got my m2 this year.

did you take a course ? I have an M2 as well.

i also have many speeding tickets.

did you take a course ? I have an M2 as well.

yes i did with learning curves. I have a clear record. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. how old are u?

Did you get any quotes from Jevco?

Quote Originally Posted by 95teggy View Post
    Did you get any quotes from Jevco?
    Not yet will call tomorrow first thing

my 750 is a little over 500 with a few tickets too
    x

Quote Originally Posted by RoR View Post
    Not yet will call tomorrow first thing
    Should have been the first thing you did.
    Im Male, 20yo, 1 AF accident, 1 ticket with a quote of $1800 for liability and fire and theft. (cbr 125)
    I got a quote earlier on for a ninja 250 for about $50 more.

TD does indeed run their year from March to October (you only pay for 7 months but have coverage for the year) and they've always done it that way. I don't know how you would have been quoted until June.

That said, $3000? And now $4800? Did you ask why the rate was increasing or is it because you were only insuring for a portion of last year? You said you got your M2 this year, how long have you had your G? I'm paying $980 for my SuperDuke with full coverage (but then I'm 40, been riding since '88 with no current black marks on my abstract and on a group rate).

TD is a ripoff. Shop around,.

A rough quote with Jevco would be around $1400 - $1500 for basic coverages and an additional $400 or so for Collision and Comprehensive. If you go up to the 650r though, your best bet will be State Farm as Jevco surcharges all super sport bikes by 400%.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

just for comparison, male, late 20's, clean record, $1100/yr w/ SF, house + 2 cars, liability and comp for an 08 CBR 1000RR, drove a ninja 500 for a while as my first bike a couple years ago which was about $700/yr same coverage,

shop around.
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

i would call state farm and see what they could do for you...
    2007 CBR 600rr, currently going thru changes!

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    TD does indeed run their year from March to October (you only pay for 7 months but have coverage for the year) and they've always done it that way. I don't know how you would have been quoted until June.

That said, $3000? And now $4800? Did you ask why the rate was increasing or is it because you were only insuring for a portion of last year? You said you got your M2 this year, how long have you had your G? I'm paying $980 for my SuperDuke with full coverage (but then I'm 40, been riding since '88 with no current black marks on my abstract and on a group rate).
    The agent who i talked to when i got my insurance said that i will be covered till june 2012. But the slip that i will be mailed will expire in march so i will have to call TD in march and ask them to send another slip for march-june which will be covered in the 3000 i payed from june to september.

The reason my rate is increasing was because instead of 4 months like this year next year ill be inusring for 7 months.

I have a g2 that i just got in oct.

Does that bike even speed lol
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

I'm new to Canada I moved here about a year and a half I'm 37 with a new licence I got my G in October 2010 and M2 in June 2011 from Sheridan. TD is the only ones that will insure me. I was told that insurance expires in January and renewal is 31 January. Payments start in March until September. $3400.00 for my 2002 GSX-R 750 which works out to almost $500+ a month when deductions are being taken. They say that they only recognize USA and Canada experience and I will have to wait until I've had my licence for 5 years before my premium goes down. I thought I was getting ripped off but a 250 for $4800 crazy. Is it brand new because it seems like they are just changing us the price of the bike every year.
    Last edited by yardie; 12-28-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    2007 SV650S
    2002 GSX-R 750 (SOLD)
    2005 ZX636 (SOLD)
    2003 R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post

It's likely not really an $1800 increase. What is likely missing from the OP's post is that the $3000 he paid was likely for the remaining part of a year (June - October), not an entire year (March - October). So if he got his insurance part way through the year, they would have charged him $3000 to cover the remainder of the year until March 2012. Now since it's time for a renewal, he's likely getting dinged the full rate. Of course, I could be wrong, but given that he started riding in June, it sounds like that's what might have happened.

dont start with a bike with plastic on it, i would never pay that much for insurance, your getting robbed because of age, gender, history and profiling of peer pressure.

$3400 here on a 2009 ninja 250r. 21 years old, G2M2. Anal Rape......