Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Banned

Re: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Could get interesting. The downtown Timmies isn't the only congregating point, and certainly not the biggest. The Timmies at 403 and Dundas also falls within Oakville's town limits.

thanks BrianP very informative stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    So you have gone from 140 HP to 158 HP for the street?
    The 140 hp they talk about is generous and at the crank.
    More like up to 140 rwhp from the 122 it was.

Yes, I'm ignoring the "slyness" of the question.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    3-4 with just a slipreally 18 hp with just a pipe? tell me what is your secret? ive being doing this for 21 years and ive never seen more then a 9hp increase with a full exhaust.
    on.
    If you have a big bike.
    18 Hp is very easy to achieve, if you do 3 things..
    Increase air intake by upgrading your airfilters.
    Changing to an increased exhaust flow aftermarket exhaust.
    Changing the tune by downloading a tune from your laptop and installing it into the ECU of your bike,if it is fuel injected. ( this will increase fuel flow to prevent the engine from going lean.)
    There are bikes out there that have increased HP by as much as 70 HP using these 3 things.
    Getting a Dyno done is recommended as well.
    i would really like to live in the fantasy world you live in.
    my 2006 cbr1000rr comes stock with 145 to 147 give or take. has
    full exhaust
    air filters
    head ported/polish
    HRC cams and degreed
    valve job
    full HRC electronics ecu etc,alternator
    HRC volosaty stacks
    520 gearing and carbon fiber rear rotor, even the centers of the bolts are drilled out.
    HRC ram air intake
    and i only manage 167hp
    so onless you have scott miller,mike crompton,harrold surian,tony russell tuning your bike really i would like to know how you can make 18hp with just a pipe ,filters,and laptop.and none of those guys would tell you,you can make 18hp with just a pipe.
    and to make 70hp you would need a turbo or about 60to 100grand to the motor to make those numbers.
    regardless it would not be a bike you could drive on the street..only the hyway
    Last edited by freedomfighter; 12-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.

triumph with 200hp bahahahahahahaha.
    canadian superbikes have less then that.
    world superbike costing about 250000 to haft mill have about 230hp
    and moto gp costing about a mill have about 200 to 230 hp.
    but your stock pos triumph 3 cyl can make 200hp
    like i said bahahahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    triumph with 200hp bahahahahahahaha.
    canadian superbikes have less then that.
    world superbike costing about 250000 to haft mill have about 230hp
    and moto gp costing about a mill have about 200 to 230 hp.
    but your stock pos triumph 3 cyl can make 200hp
    like i said bahahahahahahah
    Quoted for archiving.

You might want to have checked out what a Triumph Rocket III was before posting. It's a little easier to make 200hp on a 2.3L engine with mods than on a 1L.

Also, just because your CBR is already well tuned and doesn't make good HP from mods doesn't mean that all are.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    Quoted for archiving.

You might want to have checked out what a Triumph Rocket III was before posting. It's a little easier to make 200hp on a 2.3L engine with mods than on a 1L.

Also, just because your CBR is already well tuned and doesn't make good HP from mods doesn't mean that all are.
    my bad. i thought he was talking about triumph bikes not the cars.my talon makes 331hp and 319fpt to all 4 wheels
    my cbr makes the power that it should .the dyno guys were impressed that it made those numbers.with out compression mods
    at the end of the day i have seen dyno charts of jorden zokes 2004 cbr 1000rr at 184 hp.scott and honda have way more money and tricks then i do.
    and a 10.2 @146.66mph in the 1/4 ain't bad.

Brian P, Caledon is aware of the issue of Fast vs Slow, the police were trained to set the responds to slow, yet the bylaw is incorrectly written as fast. It is expected to be amended at some point. Many other cities appear to be adopting this standard, hopefully without error. As someone posted recently, the scary one is the noise snare in Calgary, which captures all noise coming from all sources, and simply mails you a ticket. The limit has not been set at this point to the best of my knowledge but testing is ongoing, Brian P any more info on that system?
    You can't fix stupid

my bad. i thought he was talking about triumph bikes not the cars.my talon makes 331hp and 319fpt to all 4 wheels
    my cbr makes the power that it should .the dyno guys were impressed that it made those numbers.with out compression mods
    at the end of the day i have seen dyno charts of jorden zokes 2004 cbr 1000rr at 184 hp.scott and honda have way more money and tricks then i do.
    The rocket is a 2.3l bike

No idea. All I can say about the "noise snare" is that the first time it sends someone a ticket for a stock-exhaust vehicle, it's going to court. I'm not an acoustic engineer but I reckon that someone who is, could probably shoot it so full of holes there's nothing left. Effect of other traffic (both on the noise measurement and behavior of the vehicle ... maybe I had to go full throttle because of what some other vehicle in the vicinity was doing to me), effect of reflections from nearby objects, effect of distance to the source, are all things I'd be asking that acoustic engineer to question, and the acoustic engineer would probably have more questions about it that I wouldn't think of. Sound measurements done in this manner have poor repeatability. I don't think we have to worry too much about the "noise snare" becoming widely adopted, purely on account of its price tag (unless that changes by a couple orders of magnitude - and survives what a good acoustic engineer will dish out in court).

I don't have an iPhone, but I have an android that can also get about 3 dBmeter apps.
    I have tested each one of the apps against an expensive sound meter and they come out almost exactly to what the expensive meter reads.
    I believe that the app will serve most people reliably.
    There is even one that you can callibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    No need. If you have an Iphone, "there's an app for that" - to make it into a dB meter. It is not an "officially recognized calibrated instrument" that will stand up in court, but experience seems to be showing that it's accurate enough for you to establish whether your bike has a potential compliance issue or not.

Have the engine warmed up and park in an open area away from adjacent traffic, concrete walls, etc. (The standard specifies all this but just be "away" from all that stuff and it will be OK.) Measure height of exhaust outlet from ground. Hold dB meter at the same height as the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle outward from the centerline of the bike and 50 cm from the center of the exhaust outlet. If there are two exhaust outlets then repeat this test on both sides in the same manner.

Set dB meter on "A" scale, "slow" response (more on this in a minute).

Engine at warm idle -> test criteria is less than 92 dB as measured above
    For 3 or 4 cylinder engine, hold at steady throttle in neutral 5000 rpm -> test criteria is less than 100 dB
    For other number of cylinders, steady throttle in neutral 2000 rpm -> test criteria is less than 96 dB
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Again, probably should have looked it up. It's a 2.3L motorcycle.

Though I see where you are going here that sportbikes are usually the ones looking for power and they are already well tuned from the factory, the people who are talking about big gains are talking about standards/cruisers/tourers.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Isn't this a post about noise........... I still maintain the vast majority of modified exhausts produce far more noise than they do more HP. I remember reading a few articles saying that some aftermarket pipes actually reduce HP because they're are poorly designed.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Good, and just as I predicted a while back when the Caledon bylaw was in the works. Look for the Caledon bylaw to be adopted by towns and cities across Ontario, and once a critical mass is reached, for it to become part of the HTA.
    Yeah, I'm glad I don't live near a Timmies!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Have the engine warmed up and park in an open area away from adjacent traffic, concrete walls, etc. (The standard specifies all this but just be "away" from all that stuff and it will be OK.) Measure height of exhaust outlet from ground. Hold dB meter at the same height as the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle outward from the centerline of the bike and 50 cm from the center of the exhaust outlet. If there are two exhaust outlets then repeat this test on both sides in the same manner.

Set dB meter on "A" scale, "slow" response (more on this in a minute).

Engine at warm idle -> test criteria is less than 92 dB as measured above
    For 3 or 4 cylinder engine, hold at steady throttle in neutral 5000 rpm -> test criteria is less than 100 dB
    For other number of cylinders, steady throttle in neutral 2000 rpm -> test criteria is less than 96 dB

here's a videos

*Unmodified U.S. EPS-labeled exhausts, add 2dBA to limits ????

Last edited by Splash; 12-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    Isn't this a post about noise........... I still maintain the vast majority of modified exhausts produce far more noise than they do more HP. I remember reading a few articles saying that some aftermarket pipes actually reduce HP because they're are poorly designed.
    I think I read the same article; they tested virtually every pipe available. Aside from the usual good ones (akro, yosh, arrow, etc) most were just noisy crap. Devil was horrible too

won't there be an increase in accidents when the by-law comes into effect since loud pipes save lives?
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    won't there be an increase in accidents when the by-law comes into effect since loud pipes save lives?
    Check the ends of the handlebars on your bike. You might just find a horn button.

If all else fails, you could try wiring your horn to an always on position. However, this is just a stop-gap solution to tide you over while you can develop your riding skills to the place where they should already be. A properly-skilled rider does not need the crutch of an installed always-on train horn or open pipe to ride safely.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Check the ends of the handlebars on your bike. You might just find a horn button.

If all else fails, you could try wiring your horn to an always on position. However, this is just a stop-gap solution to tide you over while you can develop your riding skills to the place where they should already be. A properly-skilled rider does not need the crutch of an installed always-on train horn or open pipe to ride safely.

Please enable your sarcasm recognition filter.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Please enable your sarcasm recognition filter.
    I did recognize it as sarcasm (after all, who could possibly believe that loud pipes save lives) and responded to the post in kind. Surely you were able to recognize that?