Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Re: Oakville bike noise bylaw warning

harley stock bike

Interesting; this is going to be a fun riding season.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

There's already threads on this. Thanks for posting more results though. Caledon's noise bylaw also has wording problems, but the training and application basically comply with 1287.

Where did you do your measurements (relative to the bike). How much room is around your dyno? I am assuming the fans on the dyno were off? What type of meter did you use? Why were the bikes noise tested on the dyno in the first place, I am assuming they were in neutral and it was just a convenient stand for them? I am assuming your measurements are A weighted sound levels (not linear)?

I tested Brian P's bikes (FZR400x2, 1000, 125) last year and he passed (although some were close). The first owner that gets a ticket for a stock bike will have the chance to make the town look stupid.

Edit: Just reviewed your post 127 dB at 5000 rpm? If that measurement is valid (and it is actually dBA not dB as stated), that bike is the reason for this bylaw.
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 01-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    There's already threads on this. Thanks for posting more results though. Caledon's noise bylaw also has wording problems, but the training and application basically comply with 1287.

Where did you do your measurements (relative to the bike). How much room is around your dyno? I am assuming the fans on the dyno were off? What type of meter did you use? Why were the bikes noise tested on the dyno in the first place, I am assuming they were in neutral and it was just a convenient stand for them? I am assuming your measurements are A weighted sound levels (not linear)?

I tested Brian P's bikes (FZR400x2, 1000, 125) last year and he passed (although some were close). The first owner that gets a ticket for a stock bike will have the chance to make the town look stupid.

Edit: Just reviewed your post 127 dB at 5000 rpm? If that measurement is valid (and it is actually dBA not dB as stated), that bike is the reason for this bylaw.
    we did tests at a 45 degree angles, lots of room around dyno and also tested in different areas. We perform many different types of testing on both of our dynos, these 2 tests were done to keep our customers informed of their riding situation with regard to this new law. But as it turns out even a stock bike does not conform, go figure

Quote Originally Posted by Dynotunes View Post
    we did tests at a 45 degree angles, lots of room around dyno and also tested in different areas.
    I don't think you can get an accurate result indoors, even if testing in an empty skydome.

Cops aren't going to stop you if you're not riding like an idiot and/or don't have obviously loud pipes. If your stock pipes are hitting 100+ dbs and you're not winding out gears you won't have any problems. Just don't do 10,000rpm on lakeshore on a Sunday afternoon.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    I don't think you can get an accurate result indoors, even if testing in an empty skydome.
    This post was not intended to be a debate about procedures, we don't make the rules but simply were trying to pass out some informative info for the riding family.

For this test, skydome(main area) is big enough that it wouldn't affect the results.

As a rough guide, if every wall and the ceiling are located at more than 7 object lengths away, your results are potentially reasonable (there are still potential problems at high sounds levels like these causing a build up though). Basically for a bike, an area of 100'x100'x50' high with some absorption might reasonably replicate the required outdoor test environment (testing a specific location would be required to comfirm).

EDIT: Dyno, not crapping on your results here, I appreciate all the data I can find, just trying to see what was done so I can compare them to what I have done in the past. CVMA guys tested a bunch of bikes in the past too. Most of those passed, I am just trying to figure out why yours are failing by so much. I have not tested cruisers (or seen cruisers tested) and that may account for some of this, but some of your numbers just seem really high (especially the 127, that's why I wondered if you were measuring linear instead of A-weighted or had a buildup in the room).
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 01-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I am assuming your measurements are A weighted sound levels (not linear)?
    I'm not sure if you could say that dB is "linear", but I get what you're asking. dB and dBA are both logarithmic, but evolution has tuned the human ears to be more sensitive to certain frequencies and less sensitive to others.

For the most part, I don't think someone testing will have to follow J1287 to the letter, but the basic information in there (location, distance, orientation, wind, etc)

So with a Yoshi exhaust on my Gladius, where can I get my bike tested? Or where can I buy a sound meter to run the tests myself?

Edit: Found one... http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=HHSL&Nav=p02
    Last edited by EngineerJoe; 01-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    I'm not sure if you could say that dB is "linear", but I get what you're asking. dB and dBA are both logarithmic, but evolution has tuned the human ears to be more sensitive to certain frequencies and less sensitive to others.

For the most part, I don't think someone testing will have to follow J1287 to the letter, but the basic information in there (location, distance, orientation, wind, etc)

So with a Yoshi exhaust on my Gladius, where can I get my bike tested? Or where can I buy a sound meter to run the tests myself?
    dynotunes.ca, 289 337 4035 can do it, sorry this should have been a pm
    Last edited by Dynotunes; 01-25-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: should have been a pm

Or where can I buy a sound meter to run the tests myself?
    dB meter apps seem pretty accurate. I use the free dB Volume on my iPhone.

Sorry, should have said flat, not linear, my mistake. For the money, the iphone apps are not bad (within a few dB). Radioshack used to have meters that were cheap (<$100) but it was like buying from Harbor Freight, you had to check the specific one you bought worked well (checking against a good meter). Good SLM's cost $1000 and up, but you aren't looking for guaranteed compliance here, just a ballpark.

If people want to get together at some point in the spring, I can bring a meter and test a bunch of bikes, it's not worth it to bother setting up for a single bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynotunes View Post
    For those who do not realize it the town of Oakville has passed a noise bylaw aimed directly at motorcycles.
    The following is thier limits
    A bike at idle shall not emit greater than the following levels of noise
    1-idle rpm 92 db
    2-2000 rpm 96 db
    3- 5000 rpm 100 db

for those interested we just this morning tested 2 Harleys on our dyno with the following results

first bike 2007 harley street glide with Rinehart exhaust

1 idle rpm = 97 db
    2 2000 rpm 102 db
    3 5000 rpm in excess of 127

second bike was a stock 2011 Harley cvo 110

1 idle rpm 94 db
    2 2000 rpm 98-100
    3 3000 rpm 100+

So in actuality one could get a ticket for a totally stock bike.
    Obviously this is going to be cause for concern, for what it is worth we tested a police bike and it measured above legal limits also.
    There is no way this is correct based on previous testing by others.

Are you sure the meter was set on "slow" response? If it's set on "fast" response - which is what Caledon's bylaw incorrectly states to do - then you are going to get numbers like what you've indicated above ...

Thanks for all the responses guys.

dB meter apps seem pretty accurate. I use the free dB Volume on my iPhone.
    I have a dB app on both my iPhone and my Android phone. I think it does dB instead of dBA.

I'll see if we have one at my work.

I would like to agree with Brian that the numbers seem high. 127 dBA is painfully loud. I guess if it's measured at only 50 cm from the exhaust tip...

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have a dB app on both my iPhone and my Android phone. I think it does dB instead of dBA.

I'll see if we have one at my work.

I would like to agree with Brian that the numbers seem high. 127 dBA is painfully loud. I guess if it's measured at only 50 cm from the exhaust tip...
    The app I mentioned lets you choose dB, dBA, dBB or dBC and fast, slow or imp(?) response.

But this isn't a debate about procedure so it seems it doesn't matter how you measure dB.
    Last edited by fastar1; 01-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.

The app I mentioned lets you choose dB, dBA, dBB or dBC and fast, slow or imp(?) response.

But this isn't a debate about procedure so it seems it doesn't matter how you measure dB.
    dBB are you sure? That is exceedingly rare (and I have never seen anywhere where you were supposed to use it). I guess it is easy enough to add to the code, but it just confuses people. A, C and flat (also called Z) are the most commonly used weightings.

Imp is impulsive, it has a very fast rise time (0.050 seconds IIRC) and a slower decay. Unless something specifically states otherwise (or you have a specific reason to change things), most sound measurements are conducted as dBA slow.

Every time you make a purchase, anywhere, anything, on the weekend in particular, scan and email a copy of your receipt (vital info obscured) to the Oakville Chamber of Commerce, inquiries@oakvillechamber.com with the title "could have been you" and your bike, Harley, Ducati, Gixxer.
    When they see disposable incomes riding off into the sunset of other communities, they'll have second thoughts.

Welcome to GTAM.

Most people here support the noise bylaw.

Welcome to GTAM.

Most people here support the noise bylaw.
    Makes sense, I drive a car, I am still annoyed by obnoxiously loud cars.

Same thing on a bike.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Hey I support the bylaw too, yet I've never heard a loud exhaust that I didn't like. But it's not about me, it's about common courtesy (now uncommon).