Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Re: Oakville bike noise bylaw warning

Yes it sure does make sense to support a law that specifically targets motorcycles, and leaves other vehicles alone, Hopefully there will be more laws to follow, that target bikes only.
    1990 Fatboy
    Stage 3 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ghost View Post
    Yes it sure does make sense to support a law that specifically targets motorcycles, and leaves other vehicles alone, Hopefully there will be more laws to follow, that target bikes only.
    What some people fail to understand, is that such laws are created to address specific issues. The problem that this law addresses doesn't involve cars, so why would they write it to address cars?

When we support such laws, that are written in a reasonable and objective fashion, we show that the majority of us ARE NOT part of the problem. That goes a fair way to creating positive PR, to offset the negative PR created by those who don't care about other citizens.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Too many motorcycles are a noise nuisance, so bylaws target them. That's perfectly fair.

Do you think it's unfair to car owners that we don't have to do emissions testing?

I stand corrected , only motorcycles are a nuisance, now I fully understand.
    1990 Fatboy
    Stage 3 EVO

In the specific instances that resulted in this law being created and passed? Absolutely.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Don't fix any problem until can you fix every problem then? You can't be a very productive person with that mindset.

Re: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

cant u legally fight calibration error for your own tachometer since it is not accurate?
    My Rides:
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    Looking for a 125 or 250

Quote Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
    cant u legally fight calibration error for your own tachometer since it is not accurate?
    As I found out on the Dyno on the weekend, 08 R6 tachs are pretty optimistic! lol

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Why do some peole take such an angry stance on this law? If your bike meets the requirements then don't sweat it. It would be nice if you got some sort of card after the test that said you passed on such a date, at such a DB level and what officer did the test. Yes, there loud cars out there as well, but waaaaayyyyy more loud bikes then cars. For one, as a motorcyclist I'm quite happy to see this law go into effect and I'm hoping it eventually take hold in all regions.

I look at it this way. I LOVE DEATH METAL! When I'm in the cage I have the sub going blasting out the quad kicks and blast beats while all the other grumbling and screeching is going on. Some........well most people would tell me it horrible music and that's their opinion. However if we all keep some mutual respect for one another I can listen and enjoy my music at a reasonable level while everyone around me can go about their day without being annoyed. I know it keeps everyone around me happy and me as well. But what if I was to crank the hell out of the stereo in heavy congested traffic? Or while passing through a quiet neighborhood late at night? What if it was your house I passed at 2 in the morning with that noise going on? Chances are you would be ******. Think about it, that's just one of me. Now take an army of bikers making a ton of noise that you may like, but many others hate? Respect is give and take and its been a lot of take as of late with these loud as hell pipes. Many hide behind the "saves lives" b.s. but that's all it is b.s. I have heard plenty of bike with louder then stock exhaust that are still respectable to others people around you. There is a reason you put thoses pipes on but pretty much no one has the guts to just admit that they are there just to get a rise out of other people.

So now we have this law and its here to stay to help keep that mutual respect were supposed to have for one another because it's obvious there are quite a few of you out there that just don't. Is it working? I think so. I live in port credit and every year we get tons of people on their bikes come through at night for the bars or to enjoy that waterside parks and almost weekly events. A few years backs you could hear bikes coming and going all over the place that were loud as all hell. Last year I noticed a decline in the loud pipes, can't wait to see what this year brings.

This is my signature
    Last edited by Venom01; 04-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz393 View Post
    Yes, and many/most motorcycles don't have straightforward access to anything that would allow the RPM to be directly measured by some other means, either. This situation has been discussed elsewhere. It's fairly likely that only the idle test will be enforceable. Any method of measuring the RPM by some other way is open to being questioned.

Example: my ZX10R.

The stock (digital) tachometer is not accurate, in fact we KNOW that it has designed-in error in it. (It reads high, which actually acts in your favour, but this is not legally important, the point is that it is not accurate - full stop.)

Accessing a spark plug lead on that bike for using an inductive tach (A) is a 4 hour job because ALL the bodywork has to come off, (B) by the time this is done, the engine will have cooled off, and SAE J2825 requires that the test be done with the engine at normal operating temperature, (C) this bike uses coil-on-plug ignition with no exposed high-tension leads, I'm not sure that an inductive tach will even work.

There is no access to the end of the crankshaft that can be accessed with the engine running without spraying oil everywhere.

It is likely possible to access the actual engine RPM via Kawasaki's proprietary scan tool (the bike is not OBD-II compliant, so a normal scan tool won't work) but this is something that not even the dealers have, nevermind the cops, and that tool only works on Kawasaki, they'll need another special one for each manufacturer and possibly different generations of them as the various fuel-injection systems evolved ... For bikes that have OBD-II ports, a regular OBD-II scan tool ought to work, but that covers only a fraction of the bikes that are out there.

i know that cold starts for cars are loud, is this true that motorcycles are louder when cold?
    My Rides:
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    Looking for a 125 or 250

Brian, you're potentially opening yourself up to a lengthy (but properly done) test.

For the record, there are other means (e.g. engine frequency) to measure engine RPM.

I think he is just talking about the fact if he has to go to court on it, anything requiring a particular rev range is going to be unreliable. I don't think he is gonna be explaining that roadside just to get into a more lengthy test.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Yes, and many/most motorcycles don't have straightforward access to anything that would allow the RPM to be directly measured by some other means, either. This situation has been discussed elsewhere. It's fairly likely that only the idle test will be enforceable. Any method of measuring the RPM by some other way is open to being questioned.

Example: my ZX10R.

The stock (digital) tachometer is not accurate, in fact we KNOW that it has designed-in error in it. (It reads high, which actually acts in your favour, but this is not legally important, the point is that it is not accurate - full stop.)

Accessing a spark plug lead on that bike for using an inductive tach (A) is a 4 hour job because ALL the bodywork has to come off, (B) by the time this is done, the engine will have cooled off, and SAE J2825 requires that the test be done with the engine at normal operating temperature, (C) this bike uses coil-on-plug ignition with no exposed high-tension leads, I'm not sure that an inductive tach will even work.

There is no access to the end of the crankshaft that can be accessed with the engine running without spraying oil everywhere.

It is likely possible to access the actual engine RPM via Kawasaki's proprietary scan tool (the bike is not OBD-II compliant, so a normal scan tool won't work) but this is something that not even the dealers have, nevermind the cops, and that tool only works on Kawasaki, they'll need another special one for each manufacturer and possibly different generations of them as the various fuel-injection systems evolved ... For bikes that have OBD-II ports, a regular OBD-II scan tool ought to work, but that covers only a fraction of the bikes that are out there.
    Some interesting info regarding the required protocol to get an accurate J2825 test - and the decline in use of the test can be found at this Edmonton website.
    http://www.modeledmonton.com/ (Motorcyclists Opposing Discriminatory Exhaust Legislation)

AFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EngineerJoe View Post
    Brian, you're potentially opening yourself up to a lengthy (but properly done) test.

For the record, there are other means (e.g. engine frequency) to measure engine RPM.
    This is the way that was initially proposed (a frequency analyzer) but there is no unquestionable assurance that the sound frequency will be exactly that of the engine rotation speed. Yes, I realize that it will generally either be half or equal or double, and it's a no-brainer to figure out which one of those is the case (whichever one works out reasonably close to the tach reading, which is not THAT far off), but from the legal standpoint ... it's open to question - full stop.

An inline four-cylinder engine with very good primary mechanical balancing and well-balanced cylinder to cylinder loading will have an equal-sized exhaust pulse twice per revolution if you look at the sound pulses and its main mechanical vibration mode will be the secondary imbalance (twice engine rotation speed).