Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Seems like the actions of a select few have affected many,oakville council is to vote on noise bylaw for oakville enforcement slated for july 2012.Bylaw is 96db at 2000 rpm,100db at 5000.Minimum fine $400 all because of some riders who are gathering at lakeshore timmies right next to a retirement home and reving the crap out their bikes at the stop light.Like what are they thinking,of course it was just a matter of time till residents complained.As I read in local oakville paper.

Banned

Re: Noise restrictions bylaw coming for Oakville

Quote Originally Posted by the bandit View Post
    Seems like the actions of a select few have affected many,oakville council is to vote on noise bylaw for oakville enforcement slated for july 2012.Bylaw is 96db at 2000 rpm,100db at 5000.Minimum fine $400 all because of some riders who are gathering at lakeshore timmies right next to a retirement home and reving the crap out their bikes at the stop light.Like what are they thinking,of course it was just a matter of time till residents complained.As I read in local oakville paper.
    Good, and just as I predicted a while back when the Caledon bylaw was in the works. Look for the Caledon bylaw to be adopted by towns and cities across Ontario, and once a critical mass is reached, for it to become part of the HTA.

Banned

oakville council is to vote on noise bylaw for oakville enforcement slated for july 2012.
    Not "is to vote", but have already voted.
    Town Council voted Monday, to approve a bylaw, which seeks to muffle excessive motorcycle noise by limiting exactly how much sound a motorcycle in Oakville is allowed to make.Under the bylaw, a motorcycle cannot be operated in Oakville if it emits any sound exceeding 92 dBA (decibels) from the exhaust outlet as measured at 50 centimetres by means of a sound level meter while the motorcycle is idling.The bylaw also says a one, two, five or six-cylinder motorcycle cannot be driven in Oakville if its noise exceeds 96 dBA (at 2,000 RPM). A three or four-cylinder motorcycle cannot be driven if its noise exceeds 100 dBA (at 5,000 RPM).The bylaw will not be enforced until July 1, 2012 to allow for a public education/awareness campaign. http://www.insidehalton.com/news/art...ng-motorcycles
    If you take a bit of time to look at staff reports and the minutes of town council deliberations, they are also working to encourage Halton Region to enact the bylaw as a region-wide measure through-out all of Halton Region. If that passes, then Cedar Springs Road, the roads around Campbellville and the Milton escarpment, 15th Sideroad, and some roads leading to the Belfountain area will all fall under a similar if not identical bylaw. On top of that is an additional long-term recommendation to encourage the province to incorporate the bylkaw into the HTA, just as the Town of Caledon is also seeking.

This is one of those things I wouldn't disagree with. There is no reason why a motorcycle should make that much noise.

I just have a problem with the increase of all these laws, when can you say enough is enough? I don't have the answer

Every year many laws are put in place that are slowly restricting what we can and can not do.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Good, and just as I predicted a while back when the Caledon bylaw was in the works.
    I've been predicting this for many years, before the first such legislation was tabled in Canada. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is just the beginning.

Memo to the loud pipes crowd: They've heard you.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Wasn't aware vote had already taken place turbodish, I can definitely agree with said bylaw,have been on a few group rides and found myself shifting in the riding order due to crazy loud exhausts,and ya know oakville popo will enforce due to lack of activity.Gonna be an interesting 2012 season

I sometimes go down to that Timmies, and your absolutly right. Because of a few idiots who like to rev the crap out of thier bikes when arriving, leaving or passing that place, it was a matter of time, you know that saying, "don't crap where you eat". I guess thier will be some excitment down there next riding season if this law passes. Eventually, all cities and towns in Ontario will adopt this law, I predict 10 years for noise by-law in all of Ontario.

LOL @ revving engines @ tim hortons intersection. F**s.

Who rides in Oakville anyway? Aint no good roads there.

I do cause I have to GET to the good roads

I worked for the Town some 24 years and attended most Council meetings thru various Mayor's and Members of Council so not too surprised to see that they are cracking down on the straight pipes. Not too many folks know that there is already a by-law on the books prohibiting lawnmower noise after 8pm. I know for a fact that there are no motorcycle lov'n members on Council right now.

Oakville is a great Town with their residents taking pride in things, like the downtown area which is just a coiple of hundred meters east of this Timmies location.

I've watched the straight pipe guys go thru the downtown and felt the noise bounding off all the zero-set-backed buildings. Shame on them.

If you guys think cops are tough elsewhere, you haven't seen what the Halton Region cops will do.
    One bike isn't enough.

Bylaw is 96db at 2000 rpm,100db at 5000.
    At what distance away from the exhaust? Doubling the distance away from the pipe drops the noise level by 75%. A cop can't just come up and randomly place the microphone an arbitrary distance away from the exhaust. Surely the lawmakers would've included this measurement into the by-law.

What about bikes that came from the dealer that are louder than 96 dB? Shouldn't they just be chasing aftermarket bikes? I've got an F800R that came from BMW with the upgraded Akrapovic exhaust. I'm pretty sure it's under 96 dB (even at close microphone range) but it was sold and installed when I purchased the motorcycle new.

I have no problem with reasonable anti-noise laws. I've lived in Korea and been to Thailand and there were some obnoxiously loud scooters there (despite being like 125 cc, they'd put straight piped bikes here to shame). However, the laws need to be specific and fair. Without tight regulations about the testing in addition to regulations around the sale of aftermarket stuff it simply doesn't make sense.

I don't forsee it making much difference to anyone but the straight pipe cruiser crowd. The same way the caledon law hasn't affected much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

I have no issue with this. I'm sure virtually no one with a stock exhaust will be negatively impacted by this. The majority of the noise makers ride cruisers or SS bikes and those owners have paid big bucks to make the bikes significantly louder with minimal, if any, gain in HP.

I'd be curious to know how many riders were tested and then charged in Caledon this past fall as the bylaw became effective sometime in October, didn't it? Was there active efforcement? I never heard anything about actual testing or tickets.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

The ever increasing nanny state.

Just like Caledon. I believe they will have problems enforcing this law.
    Cell phones, GPS, DVD, Food, Drinks, Kids, Smokes, Make Up, Lipstick, News Papers, CB, Ham Radio, FM Radio, CD, MP3, Work papers, Books, Lap tops, Camcorders,
    THINGS THAT DON'T
    BELONG IN A CAR.

Once upon a time, a town in South Carolina passed a local bylaw that took away
    a right that the government of South Carolina had given to all motorcyclists.

The government of South Carolina put its foot squarely down on that bylaw,
    saying firstly that the right to make laws concerning the operation of motor
    vehicles started and ended in Columbia, the capital; and secondly the state
    was not going to be turned into a patchwork quilt of laws restricting the age
    of passengers in this county, the carrying of cargo in that city, the level of
    noise in this village, and the number of headlights needed in that hamlet.

I hope that Ontario does the same, legislating ONE province-wide limit on noise,
    ONE proper method for testing a motorcycle, and proper rights and responsibilities
    for accused motorcyclists. I visit Ontario often, and I do not want to have to
    study lists of local regulations and bylaws to learn where I can ride legally.
    Noise is no problem for me, because my bike is stock and quiet,
    but I do not want to be subject to the whims of a town council that really
    does not want ANY motorcyclists on its roads, and thus enacts a net of bylaws
    so restrictive and comprehensive that no motorcycle can comply with them all.

Perhaps you can write your MPP and get the Ontario government to overrule
    any village or city that tries to usurp the right of Ontario to regulate vehicles.
    (I cannot say that such communication is likely to help. It didn't when I tried it.)
    "Stay at least one standard deviation away from everybody else."

Noise bylaws are fine as long as they are reasonable. Being a parent with two young kids I can tell ya right now, having some loudass vehicle wake them up is very frustrating. There's a guy across from us who has a custom muscle car with loud pipes, but he's respectful. There's also a Harley dude up the street, but again, he's decent about it and doesn't sit on the corner revving the **** out of it.

I guess it depends where you are in your life. If you're young with little responsibislity and few worries, you might have a "whatever" attitude towards everything. If on the other hand, you're a reserved accountant (no disrespect) with 3 kids (all girls) married to your high-school sweetheart, you might have a different outlook. Although, I've meet some loudass accounts (no, not really).
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 12-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    I have no issue with this. I'm sure virtually no one with a stock exhaust will be negatively impacted by this. The majority of the noise makers ride cruisers or SS bikes and those owners have paid big bucks to make the bikes significantly louder with minimal, if any, gain in HP.
    For me, 18 RWHP gain with pipe and tune. Hardly minimal.
    As for noise, well sure - the volume of the bike has gone up to what is probably above the proposed limits, but I'm also respectful of my location. Do I have a heavy hand on the throttle in city or residential areas? Exact opposite. I give a bit of gas and short shift and coast longer distances at idle or barely ever break 4K rpm in city limits (10.5k redline v-twin).

So, please, don't lump all everyone with after market pipes and tunes into your "minimal, if any, gain in HP" group. Not everyone with after market pipes and tunes is an automatic jacka*s.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Short shifting must help the HP output a lot!