Visiting the United States while on bail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting the United States while on bail?

Visiting the United States while on bail?

If someone is out on bail, are they legally allowed to enter the United States? Theres no bail condition that that says this, and both surities will be accompanying. The charge is assault.
    Thanks!

Re: Visiting the United States while on bail?

There's a good chance they'll ask you if you've ever been charged with something and even if the charges were dropped/dismissed, they'll ask you to explain yourself. They have better access to CPIC than our local services. If I were you, I'd stay away from the US until your indiscretion gets pardoned. They have no legal requirements to let any foreigners into their country. They could tell the Pope to GTFO and be within their rights.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    There's a good chance they'll ask you if you've ever been charged with something and even if the charges were dropped/dismissed, they'll ask you to explain yourself. They have better access to CPIC than our local services. If I were you, I'd stay away from the US until your indiscretion gets pardoned. They have no legal requirements to let any foreigners into their country. They could tell the Pope to GTFO and be within their rights.
    err pardons don't do anything with regards or getting into the US. They dont' care if you have been pardoned.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

This thread makes no sence...if someone is out on bail there are conditions to the bail such as promising not to leave the country. Whoever it is that is out on bail better make sure before finding out at the boarder...
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    err pardons don't do anything with regards or getting into the US. They dont' care if you have been pardoned.
    If a pardon has been granted then the criminal record won't show the charge / conviction... smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    This thread makes no sence...if someone is out on bail there are conditions to the bail such as promising not to leave the country. Whoever it is that is out on bail better make sure before finding out at the boarder...
    Conditions prohibiting travel are quite rare actually. If the condition isn't listed then there's not a problem. However, as Firestart stated, if the USA doesn't want to allow entry, they don't have to. If said person is charged or convicted of "deceitful" offenses such as theft or fraud, the USA has shown it REALLY doesn't like letting those people in.

The point is how does someone get bail and not know the conditions???
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Usually when you are released on a 'promise to appear' you are given a release form which detail's your conditions in which you must abide by (ie. keep the peace, refrain from illegal substances, do not leave Ontario). When you are released on a 'conditional sentence' you are given a conditional sentence and probation requirement form's which also detail your conditions (ie. keep the peace, 10 year weapons ban, seek counseling, visit probation officer, house arrest address, or curfew times, don't leave Ontario). When you are released on 'bail terms' you are given a release form which also details what you can and what you can't. Certain bail restrictions require you to surrender your passport, attend court dates, curfew. With every single form it will detail your restriction's. Even If you do not have travel restrictions you still may be denied at the border because the border officer doesn't want to let you in the country.
    Last edited by REDBALLS; 12-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Sleeping is my drug,
    My bed is my dealer,
    and my alarm clock
    is the police.

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    If a pardon has been granted then the criminal record won't show the charge / conviction... smooth sailing.

Conditions prohibiting travel are quite rare actually. If the condition isn't listed then there's not a problem. However, as Firestart stated, if the USA doesn't want to allow entry, they don't have to. If said person is charged or convicted of "deceitful" offenses such as theft or fraud, the USA has shown it REALLY doesn't like letting those people in.
    Wrong they still see the charge in their system and will not let you in pardon or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Wrong they still see the charge in their system and will not let you in pardon or not.
    In fact they can see the charge, even if it was dismissed. I once crossed the border with a friend, who had once been charged with assault for repeatedly striking his landlord in the fist with his face (no, that wasn't a misprint), and they questioned him at the border for roughly an hour about it, before letting us through.The charges were dropped, long before going to court, but they were still in their records on the US side.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    In fact they can see the charge, even if it was dismissed. I once crossed the border with a friend, who had once been charged with assault for repeatedly striking his landlord in the fist with his face (no, that wasn't a misprint), and they questioned him at the border for roughly an hour about it, before letting us through.The charges were dropped, long before going to court, but they were still in their records on the US side.
    lmao wtf.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I stand corrected. I had been mis-informed. The USA does NOT recognize a Canadian pardon.

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    lmao wtf.
    The landlord claimed 'mutual assault', when his only apparent wounds were bloody knuckles.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Your friend MAY be able to make that go away, if he hasn't already; http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/nc-faq-eng.htm

Your friend MAY be able to make that go away, if he hasn't already; http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/nc-faq-eng.htm
    In AMERICAN records? Not a chance in the world. Once information is out there, it's out there.

In AMERICAN records? Not a chance in the world. Once information is out there, it's out there.
    A good point. If he'd taken care of it PRIOR to hitting the border he'd likely be fine. Now that they've had dealings with him in regards to it...
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

A good point. If he'd taken care of it PRIOR to hitting the border he'd likely be fine. Now that they've had dealings with him in regards to it...
    Whether or not he had crossed the border, they had the information.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm in NYC right now. They scanned my passport, but didnt mention anything about charges. I haven't been convicted of anything, just charged (its pending a trial). I'm a dual-citizen (american and canadian), which is why I wasnt worried about the Americans not letting me in (they kinda have to..) ..I was worried about the Canadians not wanting me to leave.
    Either way, things worked out. I'll update the thread if Canadians give me any trouble on the way back home.

Made it back to Toronto today, no issues at the border whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by DOHC1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm in NYC right now. They scanned my passport, but didnt mention anything about charges. I haven't been convicted of anything, just charged (its pending a trial). I'm a dual-citizen (american and canadian), which is why I wasnt worried about the Americans not letting me in (they kinda have to..) ..I was worried about the Canadians not wanting me to leave.
    Either way, things worked out. I'll update the thread if Canadians give me any trouble on the way back home.

On your way out you cross an American checkpoint not a Canadian. You pass a Canadian checkpoint on your way back.
    I think they only reason you didnt have trouble is because of the dual citizenship.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I used my Canadian Passport both ways, my American one has been expired for 5+ years now. I find it weird that they didnt even mention it though