Visiting the United States while on bail? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visiting the United States while on bail?

Re: Visiting the United States while on bail?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    On your way out you cross an American checkpoint not a Canadian. You pass a Canadian checkpoint on your way back.
    Sometimes... They can do dual checks in/out at any time, they just usually don't. I got checked crossing at Lewiston "leaving" the USA by USA customs, and of course by Canadian customs upon "entering".

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    In AMERICAN records? Not a chance in the world. Once information is out there, it's out there.
    To add to this thread, never lie about your criminal past, even if you're 40 and got arrested at 19 for smoking a joint in a park. A friend has to apply any year he wants to go to the US and has to pay something like $1000 or more. EVERY YEAR it gets reset!! (And he rides a motorcycle, too)

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    Sometimes... They can do dual checks in/out at any time, they just usually don't. I got checked crossing at Lewiston "leaving" the USA by USA customs, and of course by Canadian customs upon "entering".

-Jamie M.
    that may have been for a particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHC1 View Post
    I used my Canadian Passport both ways, my American one has been expired for 5+ years now. I find it weird that they didnt even mention it though
    Technically you broke the law in the U.S. If you are a U.S. citizen you are required by law to enter the U.S. only on the U.S. passport. While they cannot deny you entry as a citizen, they could have made your crossing very difficult and delayed with boatloads of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    that may have been for a particular reason.

Thats what I am thinking... I have only been hounded by one side (US) and thats cus they like to hound and actually the last time I crossed, they had reason to mess with us and they didnt really.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

-Jamie M.

There is no US inspection point leaving lewiston when you are canada bound.

How did they do this?? Did they just walk up while you were in the Canadian Bound queue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Whether or not he had crossed the border, they had the information.
    This exactly is correct. I get asked about somethig that happened 5 years ago even before there was a judgement made, just the fact of being arrested shows on their system don't believe me ask a few people i have crossed with and they will tell you.

My charges were by a ex trying to gain custody of our child and were dismissed but still get asked about it.
    With TAFB the math always equals 16

We just had this conversation with an immigration lawyer, acquaintance wants to travel with us in the spring and we would be arriving in the US by boat.
    He is now 32, was charged with marijuana possession at 19 and not convicted. Charge was dismissed .The charge shows on his file and will not go away.
    Its pretty much at the discretion of the US border service guard how they handle questioning and once declined you get sent back on the spot.

He got this wrong once, at the ft Erie bridge was asked if he had ever been charged with a criminal offence in Canada, he said NO, they repeated the question and he again answered NO, they stated " you are denied entry to the USA today, you will be returned to Canada please accompany the officer that is approaching" , he said I WASNT CONVICTED, and they said " that was not the question asked".

He hasn't been back since, little nervous about the process. Would be very awkward for all involved if he got booted again.

Moral; never lie to these guys

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    We just had this conversation with an immigration lawyer, acquaintance wants to travel with us in the spring and we would be arriving in the US by boat.
    He is now 32, was charged with marijuana possession at 19 and not convicted. Charge was dismissed .The charge shows on his file and will not go away.
    Its pretty much at the discretion of the US border service guard how they handle questioning and once declined you get sent back on the spot.

He got this wrong once, at the ft Erie bridge was asked if he had ever been charged with a criminal offence in Canada, he said NO, they repeated the question and he again answered NO, they stated " you are denied entry to the USA today, you will be returned to Canada please accompany the officer that is approaching" , he said I WASNT CONVICTED, and they said " that was not the question asked".

He hasn't been back since, little nervous about the process. Would be very awkward for all involved if he got booted again.

Moral; never lie to these guys
    When I was researching this for a friend, I came across documentation that stated that the first time you are simply turned away. However if you try again you get arrested right on the spot..Im not sure how old that law is...

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    I stand corrected. I had been mis-informed. The USA does NOT recognize a Canadian pardon.
    Canada doesn't recognize a Canadian Pardon if the person questioning you has access to CPIC. The only thing a pardon will do for you is get a clean record check sheet to apply for a job. The police, the border ect. ALWAYS know.

The US get their information based on the fingerprint system, not CPIC. Once you're on their system you are on there forever.

As long as an assault arrest didn't lead to a conviction with jail time, US customs won't bat an eye. Drug & theft arrests will lead to a questioning.

Canada will turn away assault & DWI convictions, regardless of how long ago it may have happened.

Never ever EVAH out right lie hoping the customs officer is just fishing, they are not. Ask Martha Stewart.

It is an interesting counterpoint between the two countries priorities.

And yes Canadian pardons are meaningless outside of employment.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

-Jamie M.
    Are u sure its not because of your history?
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    His Claim is BS.

unless they are standing in traffic, stopping all vehicles there is no way for them to do this outbound to Canada as there is no stop until you reach the Canadian border entry point.

If you are leaving the US, you are not the responsibility of US customs!

I have several colleagues who work on both sides of this border crossing for both countries and they do not do this on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I didn't see your reply until now (didn't get the e-mail notification until Recip replied). They were checking every car, at the little white "toll booths" before the 3 lanes open up into the 8 canada customs lanes. They said they were CBP officers. I thought that was Canada Border Protection or whatever. They asked what I was exporting from the USA, pop my trunk, etc. Because they were checking every car I don't think it was because of me. I had no record at the time and was not yet under surveillance by the RCMP and CSIS. It may have been just some high level of alert that day, or looking for drugs they knew were being brought across, etc. When I got to CBSA/Canada Customs I said "they inspected me back there too." and they said that was US Customs, not Canada.

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

They were checking every car, at the little white "toll booths" before the 3 lanes open up into the 8 canada customs lanes. They said they were CBP officers.snip Because they were checking every car I don't think it was because of me. snip It may have been just some high level of alert that day, snip When I got to CBSA/Canada Customs I said "they inspected me back there too." and they said that was US Customs, not Canada.-Jamie M.
    I think that happened for a very short period of time,, I can't recall what caused it.. but they were there in the booths with large automatic weapons,, and just like Jamie M said... checked every vehicle leaving the usa.
    I think the 72hr notice of vehicle VIN checks leaving the usa remains from this policy

I think it had to do with some murderer "escaping" the usa to canada,, and the usa was ****** that canada didn't catch them and , then wouldn't send them back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    And yes Canadian pardons are meaningless outside of employment.
    yeah, pardons (since Bill C-10 received royal assent march 13/12) are now called "record suspensions" and really are a joke. they are only truly good for employment with federal gov't but they can be useful in other cases, but as mentioned not for entry into another country. provincial/municipal police forces aren't required to separate the convictions, but it says they often cooperate. this is BS too as they should also be required.

Waiting times for applying have doubled for indictable and went from 3 to 5 years for summary convictions and now applies to anyone not eligible as of mar 13. thats pretty rotten for those who have nearly reached the end of their waiting period. not only that, but the application fee went from 150 to $631. additional punitive measures as far as i'm concerned.

http://pbc-clcc.gc.ca/infocntr/facts...on-eng.shtml#5
    Last edited by r1junky; 03-15-2012 at 01:50 PM.