Honda VFR 800 thoughts - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda VFR 800 thoughts

Re: Honda VFR 800 thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    I pulled the trigger, I gave em a deposit now and gonna go over later to do the paperwork. Jesus... I now have four bikes... anyone looking for a TW200 or 650R
    Your problem Rodney is that you love life. You should be a hater like the rest of us. With that bike, you're already one foot over into the dark side.
    There is no planet B.

Great bike, no doubt. Probably the biggest issue is that performing a valve inspection is a fairly big pain in the arse, partially due to the special tools needed to hold open the VTEC valves for inspection, and partially due to the difficulty in getting to the front cylinder heads (removing the forks helps a lot). This is due at around 26000 kms, which isn't that far into your future with that mileage, so read up on it at the VFRD site mentioned earlier. Oh, and bleeding the brake lines is a bit more involved due to the linked brake system. The bike can also suffer from Honda's typically weak Regulator/Rectifier (this plagues many of their bikes). Side mounted radiators are nice for avoiding stone dings and dents, but if you drop it or low-side it, they can get wrecked. If you choose to hunt down some frame sliders, shop carefully and read up on that VFRD site - there are no (to my knowledge) sliders out there that will actually do the job that do not involve drilling the plastic to get to a properly secure frame mounting point.

Also as mentioned, the stock exhaust is a bit sewing-machine sounding, so either gut them or get a set of Leo Vince cans - it really transforms the noise into something much more snarling without being excessively loud (they come with optional inserts to quiet it down if you choose). I also would recommend a Power Commander to smooth out what can be a bit of a jerky throttle response (Honda leans things out in a few spots for emissions reasons) and a fender eliminator for the back end - makes the bike look so much nicer. Here's some shots of mine with the LV exhaust.

It's not a light bike by any means, which you can certainly feel when moving it around by hand or at low speeds, but on the road that weight is really not noticeable and the bike handles very well with a predictable and neutral behaviour. Riding position is very comfortable, even with the stock seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargoose View Post
    The bike can also suffer from Honda's typically weak Regulator/Rectifier (this plagues many of their bikes).
    +1

Get a VFRness from wiremybike over the winter, so it is ready when you get the bike in the spring.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Wargoose View Post
    Great bike, no doubt. Probably the biggest issue is that performing a valve inspection is a fairly big pain in the arse, partially due to the special tools needed to hold open the VTEC valves for inspection, and partially due to the difficulty in getting to the front cylinder heads (removing the forks helps a lot). This is due at around 26000 kms, which isn't that far into your future with that mileage, so read up on it at the VFRD site mentioned earlier. Oh, and bleeding the brake lines is a bit more involved due to the linked brake system. The bike can also suffer from Honda's typically weak Regulator/Rectifier (this plagues many of their bikes). Side mounted radiators are nice for avoiding stone dings and dents, but if you drop it or low-side it, they can get wrecked. If you choose to hunt down some frame sliders, shop carefully and read up on that VFRD site - there are no (to my knowledge) sliders out there that will actually do the job that do not involve drilling the plastic to get to a properly secure frame mounting point.

Also as mentioned, the stock exhaust is a bit sewing-machine sounding, so either gut them or get a set of Leo Vince cans - it really transforms the noise into something much more snarling without being excessively loud (they come with optional inserts to quiet it down if you choose). I also would recommend a Power Commander to smooth out what can be a bit of a jerky throttle response (Honda leans things out in a few spots for emissions reasons) and a fender eliminator for the back end - makes the bike look so much nicer. Here's some shots of mine with the LV exhaust.

It's not a light bike by any means, which you can certainly feel when moving it around by hand or at low speeds, but on the road that weight is really not noticeable and the bike handles very well with a predictable and neutral behaviour. Riding position is very comfortable, even with the stock seat.

I heard that most values are fine at 26k though, at least that's what some are saying.

Wasn't there a recall on the RR? Is so I wonder how would I know if it was completed? If it wasn't I still should be able to get honda to fix it.

I think RG has some no cut ones, but not sure if their any good.

Yea, it a bit on the heavy side, so I'm going to diet. LOL

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RodneyBR; 12-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

The recall ('02 to '06, I think) was for the wiring harness and rear brake PCV. Installing the VFRness, or getting the recall done, takes care of an electrical problem that tended to fry the RR (among other things).

do not get no cut frame sliders. the cut ones will protect your bike better
    x

Here's what you will want to do with a VFR. Find a long tunnel. Bring it up to speed. Downshift. Gun it OR drop the throttle in that tunnel.

Music!

I missed this post, nice one

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Pics taken by dealer:

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

There are no decals on the sides. That looks suspicious - are you sure the fairings weren't repainted?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    There are no decals on the sides. That looks suspicious - are you sure the fairings weren't repainted?
    Not all bikes have decals on the side fairings...
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 12-22-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Mina

I recognize this bike, and I know the dealer. Be careful dealing with these guys, I wont m ention the business. They say one thing and do another. Make sure that you have in writing that they will repair or replace anything to pass safety. Personaly they tried to screw me on a safety saying it needed this and that and would not release the bike to me because it was unsafe to ride and they were required by law to not hand it over. Then tried to tell me that the cost to repair the bike was more then it was worth and that they would buy it off of me for a fair price (the bike). I took my personal mechanic there and he called there b(%#%t. Got my bike safetied else where with what needed to be done for $300 not the t $2000 they quoted me for. Just saying be careful with them! PM if you want to know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by medicdon View Post
    I recognize this bike, and I know the dealer. Be careful dealing with these guys, I wont m ention the business. They say one thing and do another. Make sure that you have in writing that they will repair or replace anything to pass safety. Personaly they tried to screw me on a safety saying it needed this and that and would not release the bike to me because it was unsafe to ride and they were required by law to not hand it over. Then tried to tell me that the cost to repair the bike was more then it was worth and that they would buy it off of me for a fair price (the bike). I took my personal mechanic there and he called there b(%#%t. Got my bike safetied else where with what needed to be done for $300 not the t $2000 they quoted me for. Just saying be careful with them! PM if you want to know anymore.
    Great!!!!

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Not trying to discourage, just be on your toes, maybe spend the 20 bucks and get a uvip. I know they buy crashed bikes from insurance companies and resell.

Quote Originally Posted by medicdon View Post
    Not trying to discourage, just be on your toes, maybe spend the 20 bucks and get a uvip. I know they buy crashed bikes from insurance companies and resell.
    The owner told me they got this bike in the current conditions, but could be lies. I'm gonna call tomorrow morning first thing.

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

The owner told me they got this bike in the current conditions, but could be lies. I'm gonna call tomorrow morning first thing.

Rodney,

Since you gave them a deposit, give them a call and get the vin to do some background checking.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Rodney,

Since you gave them a deposit, give them a call and get the vin to do some background checking.
    Yea, gonna do UVIP tomorrow. But that doesn't help me if they try and screw me at the end of the deal.

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Yea, gonna do UVIP tomorrow. But that doesn't help me if they try and screw me at the end of the deal.

One day at a time man. Everything will be fine. If there is an outside chance things aren't, you'll deal with it as you need to.

Cheers.

Oh Rodney...you suck at buying bikes.
    New to me for 2012.