Honda VFR 800 thoughts

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda VFR 800 thoughts

Honda VFR 800 thoughts

What do you guys think of the Honda VFR 800? I'm thinking about getting an 04 with ABS.

Pics taken by dealer:

Extra Pics (Thx Jeremy):

Last edited by RodneyBR; 12-22-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Re: Honda VFR 800 thoughts

What happened to Ducati??

VFR800 is a very nice bike, very comfortable. Not the usual motor - V4, definitely feels different from other bikes. I couldn't find one I could afford last year, but I'd definitely get VFR800 over my F4i for long rides.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    What happened to Ducati??
    A mixup, another sales guy sold it. My fault for not putting a deposit down though. And it was a bit on the pricey side, so much so, I might as well buy new. So not a great loss.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Oh snap!! Let me be the one to tell you about the VFR800!

I've dreamt about this bike since 2003 and I finally got a 2006 VFR800A with 5,500km for $8000 this past May. It was stock and came with Honda hard luggage, not Givi. That should give you an estimate for a good deal.

I personally would get the 2006+. In 2006, Honda made a few aesthetic changes, like clear corners.. and I think that was it . But the bigger change was the VTEC transition. I believe it's now 6,400rpm whereas before it engaged at 6,700rpm.

It's VERY comfortable-- ok I lied. The stock seat sucks ***, but if you get an aftermarket seat, it's great! The seating position is super comfortable, I can ride it for hours and not have any aches. I'm 6'2, 180lbs. It's great for passengers as well because there's plenty of seat for them.

It's a very quick bike, a little slow off the line but once it gets going in VTEC, it just goes!

There's plenty of after market support for it, you can even clean it up to make it look sexier. Below, I've removed all passenger pegs and it comes with a solo seat to boot!

It has a 22L gas tank.. I would get about 350km if I babied it. The stock exhaust sucks, I opted for a Leo & Vince after market pipes from Blue Streak Racing!

It's a great bike, very versatile.. you can use it on the track, keep up easily with the bigger bikes, looks stylish, has plenty of torque, a built-proof engine (some guys have 100,000km and still going), it's easy to work on, though valve adjustment (I've heard) can be a pain because of the VTEC valves.

You can't go wrong witht he VFR800A, there's a reason why it was virtually unchanged from 2002 - 2009!
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

Rodney,

If you can afford it, get it. You won't find many that will have negative things to say about the VFR. It's an excellent Sport Touring machine with a strong following. It does everything well that Honda designed it to do. There could be some issues or quirks from different model years that some can chime in about. I'm sure if you did some research, you can find out what the known issues could be for the model you're looking at.

But, if the one you're looking at one has been enjoyed and maintained, and offerred at a reasonable price, I'd pull the trigger.

The only thing that restricts my choice in owning every great bike that's out there is money, space and possibly my wife. She does forgive me when I bring home another bike as she knows I can't just be happy with the one or two I've got. But, she does remind me of our financial obligations (mortgage/college/food/clothing etc, of our wonderful children and the fact our garage only has so much space.)

Enjoy your bike shopping man. It's winter so, I understand checking out different bikes and dreaming of the possibilities.

Cheers,

I don't think you will get any negative feedback on the viffer, Rodney. Solid bike and well sought after. I have read that some earlier generations had a particular set of issues but I would defer to the viffer owners on that. Perhaps visit and search like http://vfrworld.com/forums/content.php

Would I hesitate to buy one if it was on my short list - no way! Great bike that handles amazingly well. Plenty of power, awesome ergos for rider comfort, reliability, etc. It has a lot going for it.

Thanks for the replies

It's actually an 04 with a little less than 20,000KM and there's some minor right fairing damage for $5000 from a dealer. Sounds like a deal to me, what you guys think?
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Great bike. I had a VFR for a few years and really liked it. I would get another if I didn't like my current bike so much.
    If you get it or want detailed and model specific info, look at http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I'd rather get the Duc for 2500$ more. That said, a friend of mine had a VFR and I fell absolutely in love with it.
    Last edited by 2live&ride; 12-22-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Mina

The Ducati S4RS would have around $3000 more with the taxes, so around $8700 all in and at that price I was very hesitant because I could be a new FZ8 from Brampton Powersports for around the same price. That's why I was holding off on the Ducati and because of that it was sold. Any well, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    I'd rather get the Duc for 2500$ more. That said, a friend of mine had a VFR and I fell absolutely on love with it.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Thanks for the replies

It's actually an 04 with a little less than 20,000KM and there's some minor right fairing damage for $5000 from a dealer. Sounds like a deal to me, what you guys think?
    Depends what kind of damage, and 20,000km isn't a lot for an 2004 at all!

Was it dropped or what?
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

From what I understand from the owner of the shop, it came to them in this condition. The fairing damage is very minor, no cracked fairings, just scraps and scratches and not that many. The handlebar cap is scuffed, but aside from that everything looks excellent. I actually didn't look at it personally since I live a few hours away, but Jeremy (a bud) did. He took a good look at it and snapped a bunch of pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    Depends what kind of damage, and 20,000km isn't a lot for an 2004 at all!

Was it dropped or what?
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Also, the shop will store it for winter, I pay half now and half on pickup. They'll also do the oil and filter in the spring and of course it has to pass safety. And whatever it needs for safety they will pay for. Comes with a 30 day warranty from time of pickup and it's a family owned business of 30+ years. So all seems to check out.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

^Just because it's a family operated business, it doesn't mean they're honest.
    Do your research on the shop and see if there are any reviews.
    I'm assuming the 30 day warranty is on safety items?
    Mina

Warranty includes everything including engine. So my plan is to run it hard for the first 30 days and keep an eye out for oil leaks, or other major stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    ^Just because it's a family operated business, it doesn't mean they're honest.
    Do your research on the shop and see if there are any reviews.
    I'm assuming the 30 day warranty is on safety items?
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Just make sure you get that in writing.
    Mina

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

I had a really old VFR and loved it, so I'd say go for it, they're indestructible
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

I pulled the trigger, I gave em a deposit now and gonna go over later to do the paperwork. Jesus... I now have four bikes... anyone looking for a TW200 or 650R
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    I pulled the trigger, I gave em a deposit now and gonna go over later to do the paperwork. Jesus... I now have four bikes... anyone looking for a TW200 or 650R
    Congrats!
    Post some pics please!
    Mina

I added a bunch of pics to my first post. BTW: I have to thank Jeremy for taking the time to head over there on my behalf and take the pics. He also inspected the bike for me. Very nice to see that there are a few nice people left on this planet
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc