Winter/Snow riding???

Thread: Winter/Snow riding???

Winter/Snow riding???

Hey guys. I used to have a GSXR 1000 till feb that it was stolen. Now I am thinking to get a dirt.
    So I was thinking if there are any guys out there that ride in winter? Like if anyone goes to Ganaraska (or alike trails) in snow? I would assume it's easier (and more fun) to ride a dirt on snow than a sport bike.

Re: Winter/Snow riding???

fyi - Ganaraska is closed from Dec-April for anything motorized but sleds.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

I was thinking about studding my MX tires and doing ice riding... But, that won't be happening this year due to the weather. We are at least a month behind schedule now.

This won't be much or a winter for riding anything. Too miserable to be out on the bike, and no snow anywhere but 12 hours north, so I can't ride the sled either.

I ride when the tire hits dirt beneath the snow, so light snowfalls that leave the roads bare but stay in the treeline. Experience has taught me that I just don't have enough finese (and a light enough bike) to handle 0 traction on the front end.

You'd have to run some very aggressive tires to even think about riding in the snow, so as soon as the bike is on pavement, it'd rattle your teeth and make the on ramps a challenge.

If you're thinking about riding on the pavement in snow, don't. Knobbies give you a reduced contact patch, and a wee spot of ice in the braking zone, and you'll be shopping for some clean underwear.

You could always stud your tires and ride on the ice if you wanted, but that would mean trailering your bike to and from.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Yea we barely had any winter this year. Not that I am complaining. Not a big fan of cold.
    Either way, snow or no snow, if I already had a dirt bike, I would be riding it in my weekends. Especially if the weather was like what it was today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I ride when the tire hits dirt beneath the snow, so light snowfalls that leave the roads bare but stay in the treeline. Experience has taught me that I just don't have enough finese (and a light enough bike) to handle 0 traction on the front end.

You'd have to run some very aggressive tires to even think about riding in the snow, so as soon as the bike is on pavement, it'd rattle your teeth and make the on ramps a challenge.

If you're thinking about riding on the pavement in snow, don't. Knobbies give you a reduced contact patch, and a wee spot of ice in the braking zone, and you'll be shopping for some clean underwear.

You could always stud your tires and ride on the ice if you wanted, but that would mean trailering your bike to and from.
    I never had any experience with riding in snow. Its seems its more challenging that I thought it would be. I am still planing to get a dirt, and if I get it before snow is gone (if we ever get any snow this year!) then I might take it out for a spin and see how it is to ride on snow.

riding in snow is like riding in sand, as long as there isnt ice under it

stay on the gas, and off the local private schools soccer fields and everything will be ok

Just stay away from any of the OFSC trails and you'll be fine. And as said before, the Ganny is closed till April.

05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

haha
    awesome! thats what i am talking about!
    Is there any trail that allows dirt in winter time? or you gotta find your own "hot spot" for riding?

The lake will be frozen soon and I'll be riding out to the fishn grounds! Can't wait! Stud up the bike grab a rod and have some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    Just stay away from any of the OFSC trails and you'll be fine. And as said before, the Ganny is closed till April.

This isnt ganny is it??

it looks very familiar to me, but i have never been to ganny

Quote Originally Posted by sighless View Post
    This isnt ganny is it??

it looks very familiar to me, but i have never been to ganny
    Nope. That bike was blue-plated and I was out playing on road allowances.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125