Any good bike trailers? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any good bike trailers?

Re: Any good bike trailers?

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I've been searching around for a bike trailer and came across this perplexing ad...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ357083311

Am I missing something? Is this a joke?
    Bed of the trailer is supposed to tilt for loading purposes. Screwy pictures on ad.
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigevildoer View Post
    Here's what I got back from Stinger:
    Stinger Trailer $1722.00
    Spare tire $75.00
    Running boards $250.00

Trailer shipping to Waterloo $488.90
    Straps and accessories shipping would be TBD depending on what you purchase
    First ship date available is March 12, 2012

Manufacturers shipping rebate -$100.00
    Dealer incentive -$100.00

So, you're looking at about $2100 plus taxes with a spare tire.
    That is A LOT of money for a tiny little trailer.

This is my friend's trailer. It will hold a sport bike no problem. Its light enough to move by hand and you could back it up against the wall and lift the tongue and stand it up against a wall no problem.

It was a lot less than $2000.

The Stinger trailer is out of the picture for me. I left my contact info on the contact us page prior to posting in here; if the pricing is less I'll post the new price.....

The two trailers I'm considering:

HF - 4x8 - $299 + HST + fuel (pickup)
    Pros:
    - Cost
    - 12" wheels
    - Popular trailer, has been around for several years, several positive reviews
    - Multiple uses (drywall, light machinery, bikes, atv?, etc...)
    - Customer service (purchased from an actual reputable store)

Cons
    - Fairly large
    - Paint chips off easily, rust
    - Remove bolts to collapse

Ebay - bike frame trailer - $350 + shipping (to Niagara) + HST + fuel
    Pros:
    - Compact
    - Powder coated
    - Includes wheel chock
    - Collapse without tools (?)

Cons:
    - Cost (compared to HF)
    - Specific to bikes only
    - 8" wheels (upgrade to 12" - ~$80 + spare)
    - No reviews
    - Ebay

I have sent the ebay user some questions and just waiting on a reply before making the decision.

Let me know if I missed anything (obvious or not....)

IMHO, if you are going to blow money on a trailer, and your vehicle can handle it, then just get a multi use trailer such as your plain old fashion utility landscape trailer.

There are all kinds, sizes, weights and types. Easy loading with the ramp. And fairly easy to find in new and used for reasonable price.

Not only have I used my trailer for hauling my bike, but also for loads of dirt, piles of garbage when I was renovating, and moving bulky items......everything from fridges, treadmills, windows, cabinets, tractors, snowblowers etc etc.

When you own an utility trailer, you will wonder how you went on without it.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    IMHO, if you are going to blow money on a trailer, and your vehicle can handle it, then just get a multi use trailer such as your plain old fashion utility landscape trailer.

There are all kinds, sizes, weights and types. Easy loading with the ramp. And fairly easy to find in new and used for reasonable price.

Not only have I used my trailer for hauling my bike, but also for loads of dirt, piles of garbage when I was renovating, and moving bulky items......everything from fridges, treadmills, windows, cabinets, tractors, snowblowers etc etc.

When you own an utility trailer, you will wonder how you went on without it.

^^^^^^^^^^^+1000

I agree, the utility trailer is probably best, but my car wont tow it (lancer gts sportback - class 1). I have access to a truck for heavy items (furniture, dirt, bricks, etc..) but not on a weekly basis, so the bike would be its main use (crf450r).

I'm looking for a solution under $500 ($600 at most) that is collapsible or fairly small. The Stinger would be perfect but at the cost of an enclosed trailer I couldn't justify spending that much.

I'll keep searching......

I want a small trailer like the Stinger because I have no room to store it, I already have a pickup and acess to 2 more pickups plus larger trailers. But I want an easy way to transport my bike, right now I am using a hitch mounted carrier but would prefer a little trailer I could leave in the corner of the garage. The ebay trailer looks perfect price wise and I can re enforce any weakness I find in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRider View Post
    The two trailers I'm considering:
    Cons
    - Remove bolts to collapse
    I just replaced those bolts with a bolt/cotter pin gizmo - has worked fine for me. Like this:
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Some images:

HF - 4x8 - $299

HF - 40 1/2" x 48" - $220

Ebay - $350
    Last edited by JoeRider; 03-04-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Resized image and removed plate.

The Harbour Freight 4x8 trailer is quite useful. I can tow my bike to Deal's Gap and carry drywall and lumber to do my basement. My Civic has no problem with just the one sportbike.

This is me picking up my new CBR.

Why is the image being removed? I've resized the image and hid the plate....

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    The Harbour Freight 4x8 trailer is quite useful. I can tow my bike to Deal's Gap and carry drywall and lumber to do my basement. My Civic has no problem with just the one sportbike.

This is exactly what i wanted to see... a 4 cylinder pulling this trailer. Any issues? brakes? I presume those are 12" wheels? Class 1 hitch? (from where?)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRider View Post
    This is exactly what i wanted to see... a 4 cylinder pulling this trailer. Any issues? brakes? I presume those are 12" wheels? Class 1 hitch? (from where?)
    I got the class 1 hitch installed at Hitch City with the wiring. There are no brakes on the trailer so I try to drive accordingly, making sure not to tailgate and not exceeding the speed limit too much. Yes, the wheels on the trailer are 12" and my car is a manual tranny.