Any good bike trailers?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any good bike trailers?

Any good bike trailers?

Any advice on a good bike trailers for a 2 bike load with gas?
    I would ideally like a folding one as I live in Toronto.

Primarily for track days so 2 sport bikes.

Any help appreciated

Re: Any good bike trailers?

type in harbour freight into the search function here. you will get lots of hits.

they are available in buffalo.

Buy a truck.

I'd go the truck route too, unless you get an enclosed trailer, probably 6x10 would be the minimum size. Not easy to find space to park a trailer, but it's a lot easier than loading bikes into the back of a truck. And I will say that those harbour freight trailers are just a little scary for me, unless it's once or twice a year for a short distance.

Royal D has nice ones if you want an open one

buy a decent 4x8 trailer on kijiji for cheap and throw a PA of Harbor Freight wheel chock in it, voila. 3rd year of racing with mine, not as baller as everyone else but works great.

Quote Originally Posted by skapan View Post
    unless you get an enclosed trailer, probably 6x10 would be the minimum size.
    Just had to chime in here cuz' alot of people think you need a 6X? to haul two bikes and it's just not the case. I have a low height 5X8 enclosed that fits two full faired SS bikes with a genny, pit bike plus plus, nothing rubs, easy to tow, easy to store. You do have to get creative, everything has it's place. : ) Like others have mentioned a 4X8 utility trailer will do the trick as well.
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

Folding trailers like the Stinger are expensive. Way cheaper to buy a small lightweight trailer and bolt on 2 rails. You can flip it up on it's side for storage. Here's mine when I got it, I'm adding another rail this spring.

"I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

I just picked up one of these a few days ago. They're on sale and I googled and found a %20 coupon as well, it worked out to $260ish with tax and customs agent let me go through without paying duty on it.

If you go to the states to get one make sure you read up on why to import it as trailer parts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...els-90154.html

bought a 5x7 aluminum enclosed fit 2 bikes easy, installed shelves with microwave and tv,put some clear xmas led lights.l installed bike pro's for easy loading only about a foot off ground so easy to do one your own.also 2 fold down beds and has power that can be run by my generator and this saves on hotel motel costs as well so good investment. Fits everything tools gear helmets boots canopy generator ramp fan cooler. more room in car makes travel better.
    Itcosts in around $2500 plus tax but warranty for floor at 5 years and roof for 3 years so good quality colour matched to my car and i pull it with a 08 cobalt no problems.
    bought it from action trailers near waterloo
    With TAFB the math always equals 16

Quote Originally Posted by Irocian View Post
    bought a 5x7 aluminum enclosed fit 2 bikes easy, installed shelves with microwave and tv,put some clear xmas led lights.l installed bike pro's for easy loading only about a foot off ground so easy to do one your own.also 2 fold down beds and has power that can be run by my generator and this saves on hotel motel costs as well so good investment. Fits everything tools gear helmets boots canopy generator ramp fan cooler. more room in car makes travel better.
    Itcosts in around $2500 plus tax but warranty for floor at 5 years and roof for 3 years so good quality colour matched to my car and i pull it with a 08 cobalt no problems.
    bought it from action trailers near waterloo
    how much does your trailer weigh? that's something to consider when towing... my car could pull a light utility trailer with 2 bikes on it but i doubt it could do an enclosed with 2 bikes.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    how much does your trailer weigh? that's something to consider when towing... my car could pull a light utility trailer with 2 bikes on it but i doubt it could do an enclosed with 2 bikes.
    -
    It weights around 650 pounds and with the 2 bikes around 1800 in total my car is at 2000pds towing.

Pulls easy keep speed around 100-105 no problems. Its also v-nose so helps with the wind. Bought it last january and had no problems pulling it using a small truck would make it evenut easier but thats not in the cards right now so i make it work with what i have.
    hope this helps
    With TAFB the math always equals 16

2 bikes, at least 2 jerry cans for gas, tools and gear. That could be fit into a 5X7.

I have a 5X8 and it is packed (but I'm also female so I come with a lot of crap). Genny, canopy, cot, sleeping bag, chairs, cooler, warmers, spare rims, extra tires, bicycle, gear bag, oh %$^*!! bin, and beer of course - PACKS it. And that is with just one bike. Its a bit much but almost what everyone brings once you get into track days, unless you have a toy hauler or a rent a room. Tossing a cot in and sleeping in trailer for two nights gets me another day on track without spending $$$ on hotel rooms.

OP - what are you pulling it with?
    Last edited by meme; 12-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.

I'm a pure noob, planning on tracking and maybe racing next year. Not sure how it will work out yet, but I ended up buying a horse trailer. Used, they're way cheaper than cargo trailers and built way stronger. Tons of space and it will carry more weight than my suv will tow. Too heavy to tow with a car but a small/mid sized suv would tow it easy.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Wow lots of different trailer setups thanks all for the info, I see the 5x8 is the common size for two bikes.

Would love a covered trailer but its the foldup that is a must to get it out of the way and store.

I will be hauling with my bmw 335i, tuned to 400bhp and 425flbs so its not a power issue BUT the trailer tonque weight is 200 pounds and total is 2000 lbs (cbr1000rr and daytona 675 about 800 lbs) so an open trailer is really my only option. The other rider has a audi A3 2.0l so this would be his limit to pull as well.
    The truck route ... considering but for maybe 6-8 weekends of towing its a bit out there.

I have also seen comments on the wheel size being important, I guess the smaller the wheels the slower the towing speed?

Any good canadian places to install a hitch and get trailers?

Quote Originally Posted by uk_biker View Post
    Wow lots of different trailer setups thanks all for the info, I see the 5x8 is the common size for two bikes.

Would love a covered trailer but its the foldup that is a must to get it out of the way and store.

I will be hauling with my bmw 335i, tuned to 400bhp and 425flbs so its not a power issue BUT the trailer tonque weight is 200 pounds and total is 2000 lbs (cbr1000rr and daytona 675 about 800 lbs) so an open trailer is really my only option. The other rider has a audi A3 2.0l so this would be his limit to pull as well.
    The truck route ... considering but for maybe 6-8 weekends of towing its a bit out there.

I have also seen comments on the wheel size being important, I guess the smaller the wheels the slower the towing speed?

Any good canadian places to install a hitch and get trailers?
    Regardless of what kind of horsepower your car makes .. if your tranny cant handle the load, youll be sitting on the side of the road with a nice repair bill.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Very true, tranny rated at 450-500flbs depending where you read. Stock brakes also monsters front and back so stopping and pulling is good

Quote Originally Posted by uk_biker View Post
    Very true, tranny rated at 450-500flbs depending where you read. Stock brakes also monsters front and back so stopping and pulling is good
    How many td's have you and your mate done before?

One possibility would be to look into the cost of renting a minivan or a cargo van.

last 3 years totaling about 18, each year getting doing more, mainly at calabogie then shannonville.
    Yep thats another idea, I have only transported one bike in a cargovan before no ramp made it a lot of muscle!

Though of uhaul trailer but they are crazy heavy.

Rough guess but, trailer hitch for either one of your cars is going to be $300-$400 bucks. Enclosed trailer $2500 and up.

Or slap insurance on something like this for five months of the year. http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2002-DODGE-GRAND-CARAVAN-2004-PONTIAC-MONTANA-W0QQAdIdZ336648963