Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Re: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

I keep thinking of doing a trip to calgary but the thought of riding through prairies just putts me off. But then there's the Rockies once you pass Calgary..sigh.
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

Thanks for all the replies - this thread is gold

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    I keep thinking of doing a trip to calgary but the thought of riding through prairies just putts me off. But then there's the Rockies once you pass Calgary..sigh.
    Haha yeaa... never been through the prairies, but my roommate says it's the most boring thing ever. Guess you just gotta keep your eye on the prize and beam through

are you planning to go through states or Canada all the way?
    My parents are based in Calgary so Ive driven there..Its flat and straight @ 110 km/h with the occasional cops. so be careful not to doze off. Ive driven from Calgary to Montana and I thought that was bad. It seemed like there are some good roads south of the border that might be worth checking out.
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

The Prairies are great. I think it is the TransCanada through there that lulls you to sleep. I took the road(s) just north of the border, and it was wonderful scenery and not as flat as you would think. Mind you some roads were in bad shape, but you will get some warnings. I was told the same thing and took someone's advice and went on these smaller roads. Took hwy 2 through the US which was fast in most of the states, way better than the Interstates, and then came back through Canada and stayed off the Trans Can Hwy. They change numbers through Alberta , Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, the numbers 16, 13 come to mind. Don't miss the top of Superior if you haven't been.
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda CB900Custom (sold 2007)
    1980 Honda CM400

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    are you planning to go through states or Canada all the way?
    Yea, I am hoping to keep this as a Canadian thing, so I'm looking to stay north of the border

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
    The Prairies are great. I think it is the TransCanada through there that lulls you to sleep. I took the road(s) just north of the border, and it was wonderful scenery and not as flat as you would think. Mind you some roads were in bad shape, but you will get some warnings. I was told the same thing and took someone's advice and went on these smaller roads. Took hwy 2 through the US which was fast in most of the states, way better than the Interstates, and then came back through Canada and stayed off the Trans Can Hwy. They change numbers through Alberta , Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, the numbers 16, 13 come to mind. Don't miss the top of Superior if you haven't been.
    Thanks for the tips, if I end up planning a leg of the route through the States, I'll keep that in mind. Definitely looking forward to the north shores of Superior

Keep me posted on timing as I'd enjoy a ride up past the Sault to the Superior parks located there.
    If you want some company on the first section.

I was planning a loop up there and then back across to Chapleau....ideally with the Manitoulin ferry in the mix.

Having a riding partner even if for the first leg lets someone else see issues you can't when riding ( packing risks etc )
    Reason I bought my Scala system was buddy pulled onto the 401 with a long strap dangling and I could NOT get his attention - luckily that ended okay.

First day out is often when such issues arise and having extra set eyes seeing what you cannot might be useful. I'm flexible on schedule as I set my own work hours so keep it in mind.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I got a set of summer weight and medium weight thermals from Machine Racing, BRP snowmobile wear, for $86 bucks a set taxes inclu.

While on tour last Oct to the Catskills, I bought some stuff in a US Walmart that worked very well under my jeans and riding pants for an extra layer, for $30 bucks, top and bottom. Gotta love it.

Cotton blows. It gets wet, stays wet and chills you to the bone.

Next year is a bike tour in Germany, then a ride out to my sister's B&B on the island to save cash.

Wanna do Alaska in 2013 with us?

I am doing Alaska/ Yukon/ NWT solo this year. I have been spending the winter planning and prepping the bike. I will be attending the Dawn 2 Dusk ADV rally in Dawson City and riding up past the Artic Circle to Inuvik. Heading back then onto the " top of the World" hwy,over to Fairbanks,then down,down, to Rte 2 back through the States.

I really don't understand pple who say they are going out east for example and post up " if anyone wants to go"....Why would you want to spend x number of days riding with someone who may very well ruin your trip or vice versa? That doesn't ride in a similar way? You want to ride 800k but they can only do 400? Or needs to stop every hour....or anything....Geez, that would be my worst nightmare.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    I am doing Alaska/ Yukon/ NWT solo this year. I have been spending the winter planning and prepping the bike. I will be attending the Dawn 2 Dusk ADV rally in Dawson City and riding up past the Artic Circle to Inuvik. Heading back then onto the " top of the World" hwy,over to Fairbanks,then down,down, to Rte 2 back through the States.

I really don't understand pple who say they are going out east for example and post up " if anyone wants to go"....Why would you want to spend x number of days riding with someone who may very well ruin your trip or vice versa? That doesn't ride in a similar way? You want to ride 800k but they can only do 400? Or needs to stop every hour....or anything....Geez, that would be my worst nightmare.
    I'm starting to road rage already just a bit thinking of how you ignore my advise about corner entry and exit...

Turtle... :P

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Some people are easy going and will manage to get along with most folks and make the most out of it. Ron is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    I'm starting to road rage already just a bit thinking of how you ignore my advise about corner entry and exit...

Turtle... :P
    Bahaha... the downside to instructing is you see this stuff everywhere.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

This is my set-up. I have everything I need including food,tent,clothes....everything.I am completley self-sufficient. I bought a small cooler that goes in the top box,it carrys my milk for cereal/coffee,I stop at gas stations/McDees and refresh the bags of ice I put into ziploc bags. Although if it's not available, it's warm milk.

One trip I did, I had to carry all the kit for my riding partner,including 2 tents,2 Thermarests,2 pillows...ect ect,all they carried was thier clothes. We camped and they didn't have any camping kit so I loaned out my spare kit. Here it is with all camping kit......for two.....

I don't use a GPS,I just write the route in Sharpie on paper and slide it into my tankbag. Hard luggage is an investment but well worth it. I bought my Givi 41s for an incrediable price off Kijiji, same for the 55 topbox. Lockable,waterproof,removable. All my clothes fit into a large ziploc bag. I started touring just using cheapie stuff from Walmart/CND Tire but now I have spent the coin for good gear that packs small and light.

Down sleeping bag,small Thermarest,HubbaHubba tent,dragonfly cooker,fold flat plate and bowl ect ect. I bring a small jar of peanut butter and honey with flat bagels,always something to eat in a pinch. I could go on and on......
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

You intend to do the Dempster on that bike with those tires and weight....!!!!!!???
    I'd tend to stick to the Marine Highway, the CanAm hwy and paved - there's lots to see in Alaska without the risk of the Dempster on a bike not well suited for it.

This report with bike that IS suited for it

http://acrossandabroad.com/2011/04/0...pster-highway/

••••
    Riding with someone is safer in many cases and riding with someone with a Scala set up is very enjoyable.....takes away much of the stress of riding in pairs and makes for good conversation when the route is boring.

Sometimes when we ride at different paces we just arrange a meetup time further along. Sharing ride experiences is fun and you always learn from other riders. Being able to communicate on the ride is critical to that IMNSHO tho many don't.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    You intend to do the Dempster on that bike with those tires and weight....!!!!!!???
    I'd tend to stick to the Marine Highway, the CanAm hwy and paved - there's lots to see in Alaska without the risk of the Dempster on a bike not well suited for it.

This report with bike that IS suited for it

http://acrossandabroad.com/2011/04/0...pster-highway/

••••
    Riding with someone is safer in many cases and riding with someone with a Scala set up is very enjoyable.....takes away much of the stress of riding in pairs and makes for good conversation when the route is boring.

Sometimes when we ride at different paces we just arrange a meetup time further along. Sharing ride experiences is fun and you always learn from other riders. Being able to communicate on the ride is critical to that IMNSHO tho many don't.
    I already said that I am NOT riding that bike up the Dempster. Of course it is not suited for that kind of road. Jezuz...

And,yes, having a communicator is the way to go when riding with othere. I use a Sena, an excellant product. I have used the Chatterbox,Scala and the Sena has been by far the best.

Hey, Ronnie I have NO idea what you are talking about in regards to entry/exits comment. I think you have mixed me up with someone else.

And Cat, I was accepted for motorcycle instructor at Durham/Fleming so your snide comments made me chuckle.

Have a great spring and summer riding everyone and be safe....
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

I already said that I am NOT riding that bike up the Dempster. Of course it is not suited for that kind of road. Jezuz...

And,yes, having a communicator is the way to go when riding with othere. I use a Sena, an excellant product. I have used the Chatterbox,Scala and the Sena has been by far the best.

Hey, Ronnie I have NO idea what you are talking about in regards to entry/exits comment. I think you have mixed me up with someone else.

And Cat, I was accepted for motorcycle instructor at Durham/Fleming so your snide comments made me chuckle.

Have a great spring and summer riding everyone and be safe....
    Like your long distance set up and equipment list, and bike of course. So what bike are you taking up there. What time of year are you going up there. Curious as this is on my bucket list.
    Thanks
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda CB900Custom (sold 2007)
    1980 Honda CM400

And Cat, I was accepted for motorcycle instructor at Durham/Fleming so your snide comments made me chuckle....
    Defensive much? someone didn't read your whole post. They were just trying to help and you jump on them.

The fact that you don't understand Ron shows that while you were accepted as an instructor. You haven't trained to be one yet.

Snide? Hmmm ok? You haven't met me so you obviously do not understand me. But hey at least your laughing. Makes no difference to me.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Why do you have the reflectors on the givis facing forward?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Good eye!
    Some like to be different.....I suppose.
    That reminds me of a time when Muzzys had bags on Concours 14 backwards in all of their promo pictures!
    Last edited by Koval_68; 03-09-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every
    man's greed." ~~ Mohandas Ghandi
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

'09 Concours 14 The Ultimate Transcontinental Cruise Missile

BTW Ron.
    Riding to Virginia Beach first week of April. Thinking of doing 600-700 km day 1 and chill the remaining 400 km on day two. You guys are more than welcome to come along.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Great thread! However, oil changes, chain lubing, and general maintenance seem to have slowly disappeared from the thread.

What were ppl's experience with bike maintenance during a long trip? ie: lubing chain without a stand?

I'm possibly planning a trip from Toronto to BC on my ninja 250 and would like to get as much info as possible. Can this trip be done in a week?

Quote Originally Posted by dontgiveajack View Post
    Great thread! However, oil changes, chain lubing, and general maintenance seem to have slowly disappeared from the thread.

What were ppl's experience with bike maintenance during a long trip? ie: lubing chain without a stand?

I'm possibly planning a trip from Toronto to BC on my ninja 250 and would like to get as much info as possible. Can this trip be done in a week?
    Lubing the chain with no stand is a pain, you have to spray the chain, roll the bike forward.. spray, roll forward.. but it can be done. I'm thinkin if an oil change needs to be done, then find a shop in the next major city, that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I had my stops to Calgary planned out like this: Toronto -> Sault Ste. Marie -> Thunder Bay -> Winnipeg -> Regina -> Calgary which is 5 days of riding, each day is around 600-700km I believe, so you could get to BC inside of a week, but not there and back unless you are a madman

Lol.. yes, I found another thread with another ninja 250r rider, planning the same trip. Everyone said 2 weeks at least. 3 weeks to be comfortable.

Perhaps, I'll take an Ontario tour this summer instead and save a lot of money until I'm more experienced. Any recommended routes?