Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Re: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Awesome thread and fantastic info. Looking forward to the coming season ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten_Ronnie View Post
    Next year is a bike tour in Germany, then a ride out to my sister's B&B on the island to save cash.

Wanna do Alaska in 2013 with us?
    Alaska - now that would be something! My 2013 plan is Highway 1 down to San Diego - I don't think it goes that far north though

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    One thing I have learned though is sometimes money spent on clothing is a good investment. A good set of sports undergear is good for layers. Aliki I hear makes good stuff though I never tried it and Lululemon is my fav (I had to return my friends hoodie so bought my own) and Ive been spending some money getting good stuff for the next trip.
    Aliki's gear is awesome, if I ever go on a ride with out it I regret it. Not only does it make getting in and out of your gear easier it helps with the fatigue your muscels experience from riding all day. It's supposed to keep you cool in the warm weather, which it does. I'm still wearing it for my rides but with a layer under it for warmth and I'll continue wearing it for the boarding season.

Ron, can I come too????

Loving this thread btw. Next year I plan on doing some longer trips then this year.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Aliki's gear is awesome, if I ever go on a ride with out it I regret it. Not only does it make getting in and out of your gear easier it helps with the fatigue your muscels experience from riding all day. It's supposed to keep you cool in the warm weather, which it does. I'm still wearing it for my rides but with a layer under it for warmth and I'll continue wearing it for the boarding season.

Ron, can I come too????

Loving this thread btw. Next year I plan on doing some longer trips then this year.
    Come to BC with me We'll find some meet point and ride together. Thinking once everything is settled in terms of where I am living etc I am going to start planning the trip
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Come to BC with me We'll find some meet point and ride together. Thinking once everything is settled in terms of where I am living etc I am going to start planning the trip
    That would be awesome girl.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

take all the things on your list of things to take with you and pack them see how big it is... then get rid of the 1/2 you don't need. you probably don't need things like an electric razor.

i recommend ditching the backpack, it will tire you out fast.

for clothes i recommend stuff you can hand wash in a sink and that will quick dry. also a set of regular clothes (jeans/hoody/jersey/shorts) and a pair of shoes you can walk in.

i've found textile gear is not water proof plus it tends to put the water proof layer on the wrong side.

tire changes can be done on your own how ever some bikes are more difficult than others.

things like paper towels are bulky

you will also want a basic tool kit, stuff for just in case. you may not know how to use them but it doesn't mean that some one who stops to help you doesn't. you don't need a whole tool chest but a decent selection of wrenchs and a couple small screw drivers can mean the difference between waiting hours for CAA or riding to where you can get the bike serviced.

you might also look at some sort of bed roll. you can stay in hostels to save on costs. you might also consider camping.

you also wanna make sure you have room on the bike for water/sport drinks. dehydration can be lethal.
    x

I had less than 6 months riding experience and fewer than 2000 km under my belt before I went on my adventure this past summer. Check it out at ridermike.blogspot.com -- especially the first page where I talk in great detail about my kit. (Shameless self-promotion ). I put a backpack on top of a Gears Navigator tailbag to store all my stuff, but all the stuff in the tailbag went pretty much unused, so really you could get away with just a backpack or just a tailbag. It turns out most of what you think you need is not needed at all.

CAA Plus is excellent, they'll give you 800 km (4 sets of 200 km tows). I had to use mine once, when I crashed 15 minutes north of San Francisco, and having it was totally worth the $100 it costs.
    Consider using CouchSurfing.org to find places to stay.

CA-1 will take you all up and down the entire US west coast, and you can do the Sea-to-Sky Highway in Vancouver to get up to Whistler through Squamish. I only went to Squamish, so north of that I don't know how far it goes, but I'm very sure it does connect to the Alaska Highway you want, so you can ride the 1 all the way up and all the way down, technically.

*Know your body and your mind and your limits. <-- Best advice I can give you
    *Bring cold/wet gear and keep it VERY accessible <-- 2nd best
    *A small spare gas tank provides massive peace of mind when that low fuel light comes on (especially if your bike doesn't have a fuel gauge, as mine didn't) <-- 3rd best

I planned every fuel stop and sleep point well in advance (especially the couchsurfing stuff, which requires really no more than 1-2 weeks advance notice AT MOST), I don't know how much of that you want to do. Some of the plan got violated, of course, but that's half the adventure of it.

Just get on the bike and go, you'll seriously be fine. You'll have a blast no matter what happens.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Great advice here. Each trip you fine tune it better. Packing will get easier and lighter the more you do it.
    Try to take the smaller roads when possible. There is less traffic and more to see. Just slow down to the speed limits in the towns. I never plan hotel/motel stops. Start looking at around 5pm, you don't want to get stuck in the dark in some run down place, only to start the next morning and see a great place 1 mile down the road. Also you get in early to get to a diner for a meal and take your map to plan tomorrow's ride. A netbook is great for this as well.
    If you can fill up your gas in the evening, so you are all set to go in the morning. Bring some trail mix, snack bars for those times you want to push on and there is no a place to stop, or if you want to take a break at a nice lookout, or picnic place without any stores around.

I wrestle with the camping gear as well. I love to camp, and take the gear, but on great days I want to keep riding and on wet days who wants to camp?

If you can, change your tires and oil at least a week before you go, so you have time to make sure everything works and fix it again before you go.

Stop every couple of hours to refresh and talk to the locals. Many of my trips had big changes in plans when locals told me place to see and ones to avoid.

More than half the fun is planning. It keeps changing anyway.
    Cheers
    1997 Honda ST1100
    1982 Honda CB900Custom (sold 2007)
    1980 Honda CM400

Stay away from parks that contain glaciers. I was in Montana and we rode through a glacier and the snow was 10 feet tall on the sides of the road. They had plowed the road a couple of days before we went through. Avoid those, and you won't need an extra warm layer.
    To get around pre-paid gas pumps in the States, don't fill up the tank, just buy $10 or $15 at a time. You won't have to waste time going back for the change.

Camping is another thing I'm wrestling with. I figure it's a good idea to travel as cheaply as possible but then the cost of camping (in terms of packing a tent, sleeping bag, and other camping supplies) can be easily outweighed by the convenience of a cheaper motel. And camping in the rain is not fun.

One thing I always bring is a battery-powered tire pump that charges itself and can be powered by the Canbus port on my BMW. That pump also has a USB port so I can charge my iPhone and other USB-charging items like mini cameras and such just in case you decide to camp.

Thanks for more great input

jonpurdy - I have a compressor like that, comes with a USB port and the like. Totally did not cross my mind to add it to my list though - thanks!

About the whole backpack thing - I have always ridden with a backpack.. I don't think I've ever hopped on the bike without it (it's not a big backpack, and it is geared for motorcyclists so maybe that makes a difference). It has my wallet, keys, phone, proof of insurance, etc, along with usually a bottle of water and a hand towel to clean bugs, and maybe some snacks for the road. Sometimes it holds my cold weather gloves and a sweatshirt in case things start getting chilly. It's never bothered me to date, and I've never really thought of ditching it. Maybe it'd be liberating

In regards to the camping/not camping... I really think hauling all that extra gear would kill the mood for me so I'm steering away from it. I was thinking I'd plan the overnight stop, give myself plenty of time to get there, then maybe drop the saddlebags there and go blast through the twisties. That way I'd still be on some form of schedule but it's a bit more free.

I guess I'll have to wait until spring to see which way I prefer... I do think I'd be a bit stressed if I didn't have an overnight halt planned, I'd be too worried about ending up stranded in the dark!

Anyway, if anyone's planning a trip for the upcoming season and needs some company, just give me a shout. I'd love to get some experience under my belt

That would be awesome girl.
    BC is part of my dream list. I thought perhaps of riding the Kettle Valley Railroad before they disallow motorised vehicles on it. :P

Tricky, try a two or three day ride south of the border down into Pennsylvania or Virginia and back. I'm sure there will be some threads posted for the May long weekend.

Oh, leave the saddlebags on, that's why we call it "Sport" touring. You haven't really puckered up until you drag a bag while in a reducing radius corner coming down the mountainside.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I'll keep my eyes open Ron
    BC is part of my dream list. I thought perhaps of riding the Kettle Valley Railroad before they disallow motorised vehicles on it. :P

Tricky, try a two or three day ride south of the border down into Pennsylvania or Virginia and back. I'm sure there will be some threads posted for the May long weekend.

Oh, leave the saddlebags on, that's why we call it "Sport" touring. You haven't really puckered up until you drag a bag while in a reducing radius corner coming down the mountainside.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Never heard of the railroad.... hmm googling now As for heading south.... once I move down to join Gilligan know we plan to have a three bedroom place so we have space for drop ins... hint hint... we dont want Cat to get too homesick do we?
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

As a fabric "professional" may I put in my 2 cents in terms of undergear? I have done extensive testing of performance fabrics over the last 10 years and compared many top name brands.

Absolutely bring thin layers that are washable so you can wash them in a sink over night and wear them over and over again. They are easy and small to pack.

For the colder temperatures Merino wool is the cats pyjamas. Merino wool has far surpassed any polyester or insulating layer. It keeps you very warm, has natural antibacterial properties, and does not overheat. Merino wool socks are also a must.

Polypropylene is also great for staying dry in cold temperatures.

Bamboo is also a great fabric to look into in terms of socks. Bamboo socks are awesome in hot temperatures and do not overheat or smell bad. They also stay soft forever. You can get bamboo socks in men's suit stores.

Cotton is the worst fabric you can choose to pack with you. This is because the cotton absorbs moisture and the pores of the fabric close up allowing heat to get trapped between your skin and the fabric. This causes overheating and cold sweats and takes around 4-6 times longer to dry than performance fabrics. STAY AWAY FROM COTTON SOCKS!

And of course I must plug VnM Sportgear because it is the best fabric I have ever tested for keeping you cool in hot temperatures. It also has a high level of compression that reduces muscle fatigue and vibration and helps keep you energized over a long ride. The VnM fabric can be washed in a sink, wrung in a towel, and comes out pretty much dry and ready to be worn again.

.....and that my 2 cents
    I live vicariously through myself
    VnM Sportgear
    vnmsport.com

Some good reads here:
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/15/2/M...y-Frazier.aspx

Most important thing I bring is cash/plastic...a few other things of course...

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    I guess I'll have to wait until spring to see which way I prefer... I do think I'd be a bit stressed if I didn't have an overnight halt planned, I'd be too worried about ending up stranded in the dark!

Anyway, if anyone's planning a trip for the upcoming season and needs some company, just give me a shout. I'd love to get some experience under my belt
    I am taking July off this summer and riding out to BC and going thru the states down to North Dakota then up to Vancouver.. your welcome to Join
    Last edited by gjones4487; 02-06-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Americana Soft Seats Costom Gelled Seat
    Hindle Slip-on, K&N Air FilterProton Flush Mount Signals
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Somewhere using those round and curved tires.

One thing I learned from others is to pack as light as possible and you will not need as much as you may originally think.
    For example I learned to only take a couple pairs of socks, underwear and tee shirts. Simply wash them in the sink at the hotel as soon as you arrive and let them air dry over night. If the room has a hair drier then dry them approx. 50 - 75% in minutes and hang them on something in the room (chair, table, shower rod....). Just alternate between the 2 or 3 you brought along.

I zip bag everything.

I use a pair of Technic Violator waterproof boots and have never had wet or damp feet. Have ridden in heavy rain were I could not see the road's shoulder. I use a pair of Joe Rocket waterproof gloves that have a small gel-pad in the palm which is nice for extra comfort and eliminate any vibrations that may occur. Never had wet hands.

I use a Rhino 2 piece rain suit (under $100) which has kept me 100% dry again and is fairly easy to put on without taking off any of my riding gear. Rainsuits can also be used to help keep warmth in on a cold night. Canadian Tire suits I found will rip in the wind. My Rhino is a bit loose in the upper arms where it is exposed to wind on my bikes so I simply keep 2 separate lengths of industrial strength velcro that I easily wrap around the arm to snug the suit. Elastics would snap and are not adjustable so I do not use them. Velcro is something I always carry a few feet of with me.
    Last edited by Ikan; 02-12-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Simoncelli apparently was asked if he was afraid of dying in a racing accident & he responded: "NO. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that than other people do in all of their life."

Life's time is finite. Be honest & Let's Ride.

Hello All,

I've been getting ready for spring and haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to share my tips. I ride an 09 RKC with my wife and we carry a 75 lb pack with camping gear. This is mostly ultralight stuff from MEC and works very well.

A subset of our camping gear is a picnic set up that was suggested by an ultra light professional hiker. We have used it extensively last year and I can't imagine being without it now; it's based predominantly on MEC gear as well.

First, we use the Trangia Swedish mess kit and alcohol fuel container. The 25-5UL version, and we put a small Liltech kettle in the middle of it which fits, adds a few ounces of weight and is worth it's weight in gold for hot coffee and tea at the camp site or any road side picnic table. We also keep a 4 litre dromedary and water filter pump system. Each litre is 4 lbs and we find 4 litres is the right amount for us.

We have a plastic plate, cup, bowl, knife, fork, spoon set as well as collapsible pail/sink that holds 15 litres and collapses to the size of about an apple. We use the ultralight towels, have a camp light and comprehensive first aid kit. For camp ground showers we have a travel kit for shampoo, toothpaste and brushes, make up (for her, I don't wear it any more ), Swiss army knife with corkscrew, bottle opener, and can opener among other things, a down filled air mattress (times two), inflatable pillows, mirage synthetic sleeping bags, and the Mutha Hubba tent and footprint of course. I'm leaving out a few things, but this all fits into our 75 litre German made Deemeed motorcycle luggage pack, and weighs about 75 lbs and can support both of us.

The saddle bags hold Kermit chairs, and various other things like food, coffee and tea etc, but with this set up we can pull over anywhere like a road side picnic table, heat up a couple of cans of anything and have a hot coffee with coffee mate, and pack up again within 30 minutes which costs us the price of two cans (3$ maybe). Drinking filtered water means no travellers diarrhea too.

Very frugal/cost effective and fast/convenient and whenever we tire of it we can always grab a motel or a diner meal.
    We couldn't fix your brakes so we made your horn louder.
    09 Road King Classic Mustang 4 piece super touring, VH 4" round, KN air filter, SERT, Dyno'd, 16" WO apes, various bits of parade chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    For roads, highly recommended:
    • Highway 1A from Calgary to Canmore;
    • Highway 66 past Bragg Creek up to Elbow Loop trail (turns to gravel);
    • Highway 1A through Banff National Park;
    • Highway 22 South from Calgary to Blairmore / Crowsnest (flat and not too exciting, but very pretty and remote);
    • Highway 23 South from Revelstoke to Shelter Bay / Nakusp.

Not that you can really go wrong at any rate

For gas, your GS must carry more than 15L of gas, and get better than 350 kms on a tank. At least in Canada, that should be adequate range/capacity.
    I rode from Toronto to Vancouver Island on 10L tank with about 220 kms for every gas stop. Make sure you hit the prairies gas stations because they're like 2 hours apart and most gas station close in the late evenings.

I stayed at Hostels along the way. $20 you get a comfy bed, shower, kitchen to cook, tv. It's like a 2nd home. I'd recommend the Thunder Bay International Hostel which is the HQ for all of Canada's hostel.

A little further West if you get the chance take the Coquihalla (hwy 5) passage instead of Highway 1. It's lots of fun and there's a run off for trucks that can't slow down in time to make the turns.\

Hmm.. I wonder what it be like to tackle Ice mountain (hwy 93 from Banff) on a motorcycle? I had lots of problems with it in my car because of the high altitude. But man the scenery is spectacular.