I'm thinking next season I'd love to get a taste of longer distance rides (weekends, day rides, etc). The most I've done so far is a few individual day rides from Toronto to the Haliburton area and back, around 500km or so. My ultimate goal is to ride to Calgary, and spend a few days there riding in the mountains, but I figured I should get some serious practice in Ontario before I go off doing that.

My bike is a naked GS500, and I have a knapsack, tank bag, tail bag and saddle bags. I don't really want to have to use all of them though, I'm more interested in keeping luggage at a minimum. I was just planning out a list of everything I would need to pack (because I'm bored to tears) and would like some input on whether or not I'm missing anything important

Basics
---------------------------
- Keys
- Wallet
- Registration
- Proof of insurance
- Spare key
- Ear plugs

Clothes - How many of each becomes the question
- Shirts
- Pants/shorts
- Underwear
- Socks

Electronics (Might ditch a bunch of this if I'm short on space)
- Phone and charger
- Contour Video Camera
- SD Cards
- Batteries
- Netbook and charger
- Razor and charger

Misc.
- Contact lenses
- First Aid kit
- Chain lube
- Paper towel
- Water bottle
- Clear visor

So I was thinking next summer I'd cover a lot of Ontario, for experience, and then do my Calgary journey either in August or sometime in 2013. I just have a few questions,

Hotels/motels - do you book before hand? Or do you just wing it? Seems like this is going to be the most expensive part of the journey
Servicing - how hard is it to locate a shop to do maintenance (oil change, tire change, etc)? Do you plan this ahead of time, and map your route accordingly?
Rain - I am looking into buying new textile gear for next season. If the jacket and pants are both supposedly waterproof (Tour Master gear is what I'm eying) do I need to bother with rain gear?