Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Re: Looking to get into long distance riding, need some pointers

Quote Originally Posted by dontgiveajack View Post
    Perhaps, I'll take an Ontario tour this summer instead and save a lot of money until I'm more experienced. Any recommended routes?
    I'll probably be doing the same, and then head out west next season. Exploring Ontario is a pretty great time.. anything North or East is pretty cool. Just go to the squigglies on the map

I've always found someone willing to spray while I tilt the bike up on it's kickstand. Worse case senario, I started carrying a trail jack that I can prop up the KLR with, although the bandit has a center stand. I usually lube the chain once every two or three tanks of gas with a light spray.

Oil changes, I'm bad that way, I'd do the whole ride on fresh oil then dump it when I got home. The longest trip was 8,000km to Newfoundland last year, although a West Coast ride might need tire, and oil changes added into that mix. The dusty ride across the Trans Labrador saw us clean our air filters...

Badger Newfoundland... I cleaned it off with camp stove fuel, then reoiled it with motor oil...

8000 km on a Kenda 270 17" Rear. Now useless for the trail, but still a bit of highway left in it.

Did I ever mention that I love my KLR? :P

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    Lubing the chain with no stand is a pain, you have to spray the chain, roll the bike forward.. spray, roll forward.. but it can be done. I'm thinkin if an oil change needs to be done, then find a shop in the next major city, that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I had my stops to Calgary planned out like this: Toronto -> Sault Ste. Marie -> Thunder Bay -> Winnipeg -> Regina -> Calgary which is 5 days of riding, each day is around 600-700km I believe, so you could get to BC inside of a week, but not there and back unless you are a madman

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    I'll probably be doing the same, and then head out west next season. Exploring Ontario is a pretty great time.. anything North or East is pretty cool. Just go to the squigglies on the map
    Have a look using Google maps in Terrain mode. Head along rivers, up and over mountains, and you are guaranteed to have a great ride on those squigglies.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca