Move 10 minutes, equal 600 dollar increase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move 10 minutes, equal 600 dollar increase?

Move 10 minutes, equal 600 dollar increase?

I am moving from thornhill to north York. From Parking the car outside over night, to an underground parking lot. My insurance company has increased my premium by $600. Does anyone know why?
    2007 sv1000s- yeah baby
    2001 sv650s- sold

Re: Move 10 minutes, equal 600 dollar increase?

It isnt got to do as much with the parking as with the area you have moved into ... As per my information Northyork has higher insurance rates than Richmondhill.

Your rates can be dramatically affected by your postal code (as you have just found out). Vifferfun posted some of the correction factors based on postal code at one point. Postal code can affect your insurance by easily more than 50%.

As mentioned above its due to the area and postal code. You can move within 5km and have a big decrease or increase depending on the rates for the area you are going into. Unfortunately you got the raw end on this move.

I am not really surprised about the increase except that it was double what the agent had first quoted me.
    2007 sv1000s- yeah baby
    2001 sv650s- sold

beware of the m6 corridore of postal codes it's the worst, jane and finch south bound to the lake.

moved from east york to kennedy and 401 and rates went up $500.

I'm moving from dufferin and 407 to Bathurst and steeles.
    2007 sv1000s- yeah baby
    2001 sv650s- sold

I moved from High Park to Brampton and the rate for my truck went up $600.

Banned

I only have to move 150 meters south to the other side of the intersection to see my rates go up by 15%.

One day you're 24 years old, the next day your 25 and your rates drop dramatically.

Similar story, different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    I moved from High Park to Brampton and the rate for my truck went up $600.
    That's your problem, most of Brampton has crappy rates

Quote Originally Posted by mastahjay69 View Post
    I am moving from thornhill to north York. From Parking the car outside over night, to an underground parking lot. My insurance company has increased my premium by $600. Does anyone know why?
    I moved from to east end toronto to downtown mississauga bel-air jacked my insurance by 760 bucks a year

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Cycle View Post
    One day you're 24 years old, the next day your 25 and your rates drop dramatically.

Similar story, different outcome.
    I hope so... As this will be the case in 10 months.
    2007 sv1000s- yeah baby
    2001 sv650s- sold

has anyone moved and gotten BETTER rates?
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

Quote Originally Posted by mastahjay69 View Post
    I moved from north york (York Mills and DVP) to Yonge and Eglinton and my premium went down by 50 buks a month, so 600 a year. Sounds about right
    Last edited by ZX600; 12-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by nfq View Post
    has anyone moved and gotten BETTER rates?
    Yes.. I moved from Thornhill to a farm in Richmond Hill and my rates dropped dramatically for both my car and bikes
    Lets Ride

I moved from ottawa to scarborough, and the car insurance went up from 150 a month to 320 a month, so thats about a $2000 increase.. GTA has very expensive rates

The way insurance companies rate premium these days has drastically changed from the past. Anyone with common sense would assume that if you drive a cheaper, used vehicle, and you park it in a safe place, and you don't commute much, and you have a spotless record - that you should be paying less than someone with the opposite of that. Well, as it turns out, territory ratings (where you live) have become more and more prevalent over the last 10 years, and not because of traffic congestion, theft rate, or accident rate necessarily, but because of the Accident Benefit payouts for bodily injury resulting from car accidents. Insurance companies quickly realized that while a stolen or crashed car might cost them $20,000 to replace, a person's injuries could easily go up to much higher. As a result, they've targeted areas where there are higher instances of large accident benefit/bodily injury claims and are raising the premiums there to compensate for the larger claim payouts. It also doesn't help us in the GTA when you see the kind of stuff that goes on in certain physiotherapy clinics and law offices here - it's constantly in the news and the police are cracking down, but there will always be loopholes.

My practical advice is to always give yourself about a month before you move to do research on the insurance rates at your new address. With direct companies such as Belair, TD, Desjardin, RBC, SF, etc... it's just a matter of giving them a quick phone call with your new postal code. For those using brokers, your broker can actually look at other companies to see if it's worth it to switch insurance providers by comparing the cancellation fee of your current company to the potential savings with the new one.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I moved from north york (York Mills and DVP) to Yonge and Eglinton and my premium went down by 50 buks a month, so 600 a year. Sounds about right
    When I first got car insurance I was living at Dufferin and Sheppard on the base. Moved to Markham and rates went up. They've pretty much stayed the same year to year since even though I've moved around a bit.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/