slow speed maneuvering

Thread: slow speed maneuvering

slow speed maneuvering

My R1100 is shaft drive, and goes about 15 km/h per 1K RPM in first gear. My math may be off, but I can ride > 50 Km/h below 4K RPM in first gear. If you back off the throttle quickly in first gear (something I definitely avoid), the engine braking will lift you off the seat. I find I can seldom leave the bike in gear when making slow speed maneuvers like in parking lots - always feathering the clutch. Maybe this is OK, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Re: slow speed maneuvering

I don't know if it is necessary to mention, but the correct technique is to feather the clutch with enough throttle and to apply the rear-brake at the same time to keep the bike at balance.

This is what the demonstration looks like on an R1200. Two things to watch for during turns in that vid: rear-brake light and where the rider is looking.

But then I am a n00b =) don't believe what I say lol

^100% correct.

On a side note, I've been on a few rides where people just use engine braking to slow down and in some cases it can really catch you by surprise. I highly recommend getting into the habit of feathering the brakes enough to activate the brake light when slowing down to alert those behind.

Good advice.. feather clutch, consistent throttle and drag the rear brake. Keep your head up, eyes front, not down and you'll be gold

Oh and like someone else said, always flash your brake lights before engine braking, definitely worth it