Touring, Which one SV650 vs GSX650F?

View Poll Results: which would you prefer?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suzuki SV650

9 30.00%
  • Suzuki GSX650F

14 46.67%
  • Yamaha FZ6R

7 23.33%

Thread: Touring, Which one SV650 vs GSX650F?

Touring, Which one SV650 vs GSX650F?

I just want to through this out there. Currently I have the 2010 sv650, got it new and so far it still runs solid without any troubles at all. However, so far this season, I have ridden more KMs than previous years thus far. I find that when going out on long rides in rural area, that I get leg cramps and stuff (First two hours is ok, then I stop every hour or so). Not an issue when riding in the city, since there are lots of stop and go taffic.

I know the GSX650F is heavier than the SV650, especially with the centre stand that I'm thinking of getting along with it. How would it perform on cornering? I heard that there may be some issues of that. And the fact that braking distance would be increase due to the heavier weighted bike.

Would you stick with the SV650 or GSX650F. For those who had a chance to ride both, please do add your thoughts. I would consider the Ninja650R, but had bad experience with a Ninja250 in the past. Another one that I had thought about would be the Yamaha FZ6R, although this doesn't have the ABS braking, although I know the pros and cons about it, but more incline to have ABS braking unless there is a compelling reason not to have one.

In the upcoming season of 2012, I'm looking to go on more longer rides than shorter ones, this is in terms of distance-wise.
    Last edited by omega8; 12-17-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

Re: Touring, Which one SV650 vs GSX650F?

I do a lot of 1000km days on a 04 636....wheelieboy has ridden to California and back on his 05 600RR.......its all about adapting.

Do you move around when you are on your seat? I find that I end up sitting on my right butt cheek when I tour.....

I am pretty tall, 5'11, and the 03/04 636 is not ergonomically designed to tour...but you can adapt...

Ive put on 25K this season, and 20K is purely long distance touring....

So you're kinda looking at ST bikes with the sport look and some fairings?

GSX650 is a pig but it will be definitely more comfortable than the SV for long trips. Don't expect it to handle the same way. SV is a very nimble bike (albeit with cheap suspension which is noticeable if you really push it hard).

Look at the FZ6, that had more comfortable ergos than SV and is more of a sports bike than GSX650.
    FZ6R is smaller and a totally different bike, in case you didn't know, cheap components (suspension, frame, brakes, etc.) and less power compared to FZ6. Blame Yamaha for confusing names.
    FZ8 just came out, it's the replacement for the FZ6 which has been recently discontinued.
    Finally FZ1 is the largest in that group and very comfortable for a taller person.

Also Ninja 1000 seems to be a great choice for sporty touring. But that just came out too so finding a used one may be an issue unless you're looking to buy new. If you had any prejudices stemming from owning a Ninja 250 then those shouldn't translate into Kawi's larger bikes as they don't share anything mechanically.

Honda VFR is also a very comfortable ST bike but fairly expensive. Same goes for Triumph Sprint.

There are tons of options. Set your price range and see what's available.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

Why change bikes when you can modify the bike itself for comfort? You can get rear set pegs, bar risers, seats that can help make things more comfortable for much less and you keep the good stuff you like about your current ride.

That's a good point, too. Nevertheless, SV is not a large bike so there are limits to how far you can stretch your limbs, even with mods.
    The pegs are already fairly low and if you ride somewhat aggressively through twisties it's not a good idea to have those things close to the ground. Sometimes a larger frame motorcycle will suit a larger rider better.

All in all, I have a 1st gen SVS and like it very much. All I did to it was change the seat, stock was brutal. I would swap the suspension out, too but not on the priority list right now from the financial perspective. Wish the tank was a tad larger as well for those long trips but it's not too bad on gas compared to SS bikes.

1999 Magna VF750C
    2001 SV650S
    1997 CBR900RR sold
    2005 ZZR-250 sold

I ride a similar bike to the GSX650F - an old Bandit 6. It's a comfty bike, with better touring ergos than an SV650, but to be really comfty touring on it I had to upgrade the seat and put on a better windscreen. (I still might lower the pegs.) And I do wish it were lighter and a little more fun in the twisties - not that it can't corner, but it is heavy, soft, and a little hard to handle at low speed.

If you're considering the 650F, the 1200 / 1250 Bandits /GSX models aren't much heavier and are apparently a lot more fun to ride.

If you wanted, as others have posted, you could try to make the same adjustments on your SV650. Other people have been known to tour on them.

To be honest, V-Strom 650's are pretty cool. I kinda wish I'd gone for one. The ergos are great, the power's OK, and they still corner OK especially for what they are. Also, Honda CBR F4i's have a really good reputation for comfort for a super-sport.

I think that no matter what you buy, you could expect to need a taller windscreen, a throttle rocker / cruise control device, a better seat and luggage for touring duty.

Also, this site is a good reference for prospective bikes: http://cycle-ergo.com/

Have you done anything to the SV yet? If not you can make it day and night better, I raised the seat on mine with the suzuki gel seat (approx. 1.5" taller) really helps the legs. You can also put buell pegs on it and gain another inch or so. Next you can raise the handlebars, I raised mine 2" and it helped alot as well. I will be cheaper to make the SV into what you are looking for than to trade bikes.

I have a 2001 Bandit 600, very similar to the GSX650F. I see others here complaining about the weight of the GSX and say that it doesn't handle as well, but I really have to say that is in the eye of the beholder. I outfitted my Bandit with a set of Pirelli Angels and they made a massive improvement in the handling over the Avon Storms I previously had. I find the bike has plenty of power (80hp-ish) and on the street I run out of nerve before I run out of cornering ability. Take the two bikes to the track and I'm sure that the SV will out perform the GSXF, but on a long tour, that won't matter. As for comfort, the GSXF is way ahead of the SV. Its apples and oranges. For starters, you have real handle bars on the GSXF, not clip ons like the SV. I outfitted my Bandit with a set of 1" bar risers and a Givi windscreen and they took a comfortable bike to a REALLY comfortable bike. I also added a full set of Givi luggage to it. I have a total of 128L of storage capability, which I believe, if I'm not mistaken, is on par with a Goldwing! The seat on the GSXF is wider and more plush than on an SV. The extra 2L of fuel that the GSXF has over the SV will make a difference, and the centre stand is a god send on a long trip. Makes chain lubing an easy chore. I do find that after 4hrs or so I start to get a little bit of cramping in the backs of my legs, but nothing that a good stretch doesn't take care of.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Yeah, the GSX is a bit heavy, but it's also as stable as a freight train on the highway and comfortable for long trips. And the suspension is adjustable. I sometimes wonder whether those who complain about the suspension have actually tried a proper set-up and decent tires. We're talking about street riding/touring here, not track days. A seat upgrade is a good idea though if you really want to tour. Plenty of luggage options. Having said that, it's always cheaper to work with what you've got.
    The blues ain't about theory, they's about therapy.

After thinking about this, I just may end up sticking with the SV650 (unless I have a lot of cash lying around). Initially, I found myself going far out when touring on my bike. But after a few years, and after going to a few places that I haven't been before, haven't really gone out that far lately.
    After reading around about the different bikes and characteristics, seems that a lot of people prefer lighter bikes than heavier ones too.
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

FZ6R is a capable bike, and is comfy for longer rides. Had one, and going on 300km stretches wasn't really a problem after my butt got used to it.. (touring saddle would have helped alot).
    If you want to make it a little better, add +1 tooth to the front sprocket. The bike gets a bit buzzy at higher highway speeds, and this takes care of the problem (not to mention puts the speedometer back to accurate - reads 8% high from the factory).
    Kohlarbonez... 'Cause Running Wide, Front Brakes and Grass Just Don't Mix....

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    To be honest, V-Strom 650's are pretty cool. I kinda wish I'd gone for one. The ergos are great, the power's OK, and they still corner OK especially for what they are.
    I did not vote for any of the choices as I would not find those bikes to be comfortable for long distance rides. The most comfortable riding position for me is with my upper body more upright and those bikes would force me to be in a more aggressive forward lean with too much weight on my wrists.

If you are looking for a smaller displacement ST bike I would recommend the DL650. A friend of mine has one of these bikes and has toured all over with it. The ergos on this bike are very friendly for taller riders; he had to lower the bike just so he could reach the ground when stopped. It can go well over 400 km on a tank of fuel, so range is not an issue. In addition, the power of this bike is more than would be expected out of a 650 v-twin. He never has any problem keeping up or setting a decent pace and I know from personal experience that it will easily exceed 140 kph, which is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble in most parts of North America.

His bike came with a Givi top box and he then added matching side bags for additional all-weather capacity. In addition, a taller windshield provides more wind / rain protection. He will usually take a week-long trip every summer, in addition to shorter weekend trips. His only concern is the seat comfort, so he uses a seat pad to reduce the discomfort.

I have not seen the new model of the DL, but from photos posted on this site it looks like the front fairing might be a little smaller. Hopefully there will be one at the January show because I would like to have a look. Good luck with your search.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    I did not vote for any of the choices as I would not find those bikes to be comfortable for long distance rides. The most comfortable riding position for me is with my upper body more upright and those bikes would force me to be in a more aggressive forward lean with too much weight on my wrists.

If you are looking for a smaller displacement ST bike I would recommend the DL650. A friend of mine has one of these bikes and has toured all over with it. The ergos on this bike are very friendly for taller riders; he had to lower the bike just so he could reach the ground when stopped. It can go well over 400 km on a tank of fuel, so range is not an issue. In addition, the power of this bike is more than would be expected out of a 650 v-twin. He never has any problem keeping up or setting a decent pace and I know from personal experience that it will easily exceed 140 kph, which is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble in most parts of North America.

His bike came with a Givi top box and he then added matching side bags for additional all-weather capacity. In addition, a taller windshield provides more wind / rain protection. He will usually take a week-long trip every summer, in addition to shorter weekend trips. His only concern is the seat comfort, so he uses a seat pad to reduce the discomfort.

I have not seen the new model of the DL, but from photos posted on this site it looks like the front fairing might be a little smaller. Hopefully there will be one at the January show because I would like to have a look. Good luck with your search.
    I did just short of 57,000 km on my 2006 DL650 V-Strom this year. That included two long trips.. 5,300 km to the east coast and 10,300 km to the Grand Canyon/Death Valley area. Mine is very comfy for me and I'm 6'2" and around the 230lb mark. Mine has just short of 202,000 km on it with ne real reliability issues. I like the new generation V-Strom and will be getting one. Just a great bike for doing almost any kind of riding.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

V-Tom, do you (or would you) miss the snap, power or handling of a quicker, lighter, more sport-oriented bike?

I did demo the V-Strom in July and really liked it. It was a lot sportier than expected, and the power was adequate. However, I don't put on your kind of mileage and thought that in the future, I'd want something a bit sportier too.

I got a bar conversion kit, and a sargeant seat for my 07 SV1000S (very similar ergos to the 650). I can tour for weeks if I wanted. Totally changed the bike and it still handles like a dream! The clip ons and narrowish seat really made me uncomfortable!
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

No matter how comfortable your bike is, your body will eventually cramp up from staying in one position. Therefore, I suggest you keep your bike and install some high way pegs. This should be easy on any bike with an exposed engine. It's the only way I'm able to travel on my Bandit for over 12 hours a day.
    Aurora

Quote Originally Posted by omega8 View Post
    After thinking about this, I just may end up sticking with the SV650 (unless I have a lot of cash lying around). Initially, I found myself going far out when touring on my bike. But after a few years, and after going to a few places that I haven't been before, haven't really gone out that far lately.
    After reading around about the different bikes and characteristics, seems that a lot of people prefer lighter bikes than heavier ones too.
    What are you trying to say? Basically you dont actually tour that much so the SV is fine?

There are far better choices for touring bikes, that little 650 twin is buzzy at highway speeds. But it soudns like you changed your mind. Lots of good suggestions for touring bikes in the thread, sv1000, fz6, vstrom, bandit etc.
    Driving a cage is to have sanity forced upon you.