Weeklong Trip Next Summer...

View Poll Results: Where to go for a week, away from the GTA?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gaspé / Maritimes

8 29.63%
  • Blue Ridge Parkway / Tail of the Dragon

17 62.96%
  • UP of Michigan

1 3.70%
  • Somewhere else - please specify

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weeklong Trip Next Summer...

Weeklong Trip Next Summer...

Hi everyone,

I'm getting married next September, and before I do... I want to take a week-long motorbike trip somewhere before that happens. (Contemplate freedom lost?)

I have a few ideas of places to go, would like to run them by you...

1. Go to Gaspé, QC and then on to Moncton to see an uncle. Thinking Ottawa via Pete/Perth, then Quebec City (via backroads N. of Montreal), then Rimourski, Gaspe, and then ride the coast down - and then go through NB on the return trip.
    2. Go to Tail of the Dragon and throw in Blue Ridge Parkway. Hope to end up around Raleigh, NC where I have an uncle.
    3. Go to the UP of Michigan, come down opposite Lake Michigan, and see a friend in Chicago.

I do like the twisties, but also would like to see the destinations too. I'm leaning towards Gaspé/Moncton because I still know French a bit and have some history in Ottawa and Quebec City.

Would be interested to know if any forum riders have done these routes and could recommend one vs. another, or have any specific suggestions.

Re: Weeklong Trip Next Summer...

All three are great choices. Dont think you can go wrong with either.

Personally - I think the dragon is the best riding around. The actual 'tail of the dragon' is a bit crowded, but the surrounding roads blow my mind each time I go there.. So much moonshine in the area they cant draw a straight line if they wanted to.

I was going to vote Blue Ridge/Tail of the Dragon, but if you can throw in an extra day and tag in a long weekend - which I'm doing in July - you can make a "week" 10 or 11 days. You can make Denver in 2 1/2 days (or 2 if you really want to boogie) - have 4 to 5 days riding in the mountains - or a one or two day jaunt into Utah - then 3 days back.

And no I'm not crazy to say you can make Denver in 2 1/2 days - I did it in a little over 2 in June and could have easily have pared that down to two, if I hadn't prebooked hotel rooms along the route.

I enjoyed the trip out - even Nebraska - but admittedly that much highway riding definitely isn't for everybody. BUT - the scenery is mind blowing, the roads are incredible and in Colorado, I'm not sure they even have State Troopers - I didn't seen one in my time out there and riding at 80 mph I was consistently passed

But if you are talking a true 7 day week - I can only speak for Blue Ridge/Tail of the Dragon - haven't been out to the East Coast. If you haven't been, definitely worth the trip - its on my list for next summer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    I was going to vote Blue Ridge/Tail of the Dragon, but if you can throw in an extra day and tag in a long weekend - which I'm doing in July - you can make a "week" 10 or 11 days. You can make Denver in 2 1/2 days (or 2 if you really want to boogie) - have 4 to 5 days riding in the mountains - or a one or two day jaunt into Utah - then 3 days back.

And no I'm not crazy to say you can make Denver in 2 1/2 days - I did it in a little over 2 in June and could have easily have pared that down to two, if I hadn't prebooked hotel rooms along the route.

I enjoyed the trip out - even Nebraska - but admittedly that much highway riding definitely isn't for everybody. BUT - the scenery is mind blowing, the roads are incredible and in Colorado, I'm not sure they even have State Troopers - I didn't seen one in my time out there and riding at 80 mph I was consistently passed

But if you are talking a true 7 day week - I can only speak for Blue Ridge/Tail of the Dragon - haven't been out to the East Coast. If you haven't been, definitely worth the trip - its on my list for next summer as well.
    +1. If you've never been through the mountains of Colorado and this is your last "Free ride" do it. Tail of the Dragon is much closer and can be done at a later date.

Scenery is mindblowing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmqvF9pKl0c
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Thanks for the advice.

I'm marrying a wonderful woman who likes riding 2-up and wants to start riding, so it's not a prison sentence . But yes, I would like make this a special ride.

I'm actually from the West and lived in Calgary for 7 years, so I know mountains pretty well. But it would be nice to see mountains on that trip, and maybe find a bike and get in a day of mountain biking (my first love, before motorbikes.) That's a really cool idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Denver's not as far as I'd thought - only 2,300 kms. (Feels strange saying 'only'...). But yeah, I could see how it's a 2-1/2 to 3 day trip. It's only 100 kms farther than Moncton via Gaspé. As a bonus, I have carry-over holidays that must be used by April 30th - Colorado's farther south so I could dip into those...

If you can spare a little more than a week (perhaps 2 weeks) I'd say Colorado , Utah, Wyoming although I don't know about traveling in April. I did it at the beginning of July last year and it was amazing. East coast is a great 1 week trip but I think I'd go south if you are going in April. I'd suggest Deals gap area although I've never been.

I've done the Gaspe, Fundy, PEI...

The Dragon twice.

Colorado is touted as having some of the best roads in the US or Canada and would like to head that way one day.

I'd go the Gaspe route if it's a comfort ride for you. Superslab out past Montreal then take every secondary road you can, overnight in Rimouski and enjoy the sunset over the St. Lawrence. Parc Forillon is beautiful, as is much of the coast, and Moncton is right on the bay of Fundy so add in a ride to see the Hopewell rocks, Cape Enrage and covered bridges. PEI is two hours away and 17.50 to get off the island via the bridge. The Cabot Trail is five hours? From moncton and is stunningly beautiful, and challenging for a two day trip if you had it in mind.

The roads in Tennesee and NC are really spectacular, but rather a mad ride to and from, so your seven days go very fast, and you can't make time on the twisties although the blue ridge parkway can't be missed on the way to or from the gap.

Riding two up on a tour will limit your mileage, so if you plan 600km days, you'll both love the trip, 800 and it'll be a push, 1000 is asking too much and you'll begrudge every stop and washroom break.

I did the gap in two days down, arriving on the third day, twisties and interstate combined. We spent a full day there, then 2 1/2 days back, could have done 2 but we were both knackered and enjoyed an easy last day to arrive home refeshed. The Smokey mountains and brp are beautiful!

Pics and ride reports are in my blog.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Oh, fwiw, lodging, meals and gas are cheaper in the states.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

I did Northern Michigan and The Dragon and out East last summer.
    I'm doing Colorado this year.
    I agree with BeastieGirl...if you can add the days then do Colorado.
    Here's why....
    Michigan...any long weekend if you can add a day you've got your Michigan trip done.
    It's a beautiful ride and you can always bring the wife with you.
    The trip along Lake Huron is a real treat.
    Dragon....same thing really but you may want 5 days
    Now i didn't do out east via Quebec...I went through the Sates.
    i found it to be a bit of a bumpy ride and am glad i had the extra days to do it.
    Colorado....It's not every day or year your going to think about doing this trip.
    It may be more of a once in a lifetime kinda thing.
    Depending on your lifestyle.
    And i just don't see how a 2up on this trip would be enjoyable.....it must get awful boring sitting on the back all the way there and back.
    There are so many nice roads out there.

I cant wait to do my trip there.

Although I voted Gaspé it's really a toss up between that and BRP/Dragon. I did the Dragon and area for the second time in July this year with a friend but came back home solo. I rode the entire stretch of the BRP and have to say it was fantastic. The roads in the Carolinas are amazing, easily do-able in a week there and back. The ride down is not boring at all IMO just get to Buffalo, get on the 219 and head south. 219 goes quite far south but I highly recommend scooting over east a bit and taking Skyline drive and BRP if you do this option.

Wife and I also did a 2 up ride to Gaspé in Sep. We went through Lake Placid area, which if you've never been is also worth the ride. Then headed east in the US taking the Port Kent-Burlington ferry and heading along US#2 pretty much until back in Canada. We did not do PEI or the Cabot Trail but went up around Gaspé. Also a very beautiful area, views are stunning in fact, although the roads not as nice to ride as option A. We kept to the 132 for the way back, you're closer to the river and it's a much nicer pace. We did a 2 up ride to the Bay of Fundy a couple of years back and it's definitely amazing. You'll be pushing it a bit to do Fundy, Cabot trail, PEI, Gaspé and back in a week, it depends on how much riding you like to do daily. The main problem being that you'll just want to stop everywhere and enjoy the scenery.

Both are excellent options, if you want amazing riding roads with awesome scenery go south. If you want better scenery with less emphasis on quality roads head east. I think both should be experienced on a bike!
    Last edited by l84toff; 12-16-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Id be doing the GAP trip at some point this summer for sure....have to settle a score among other things...

just an FYI...if your riding a SS/Sport Bike...the blue ridge gets a bit boring....

IF you go to deals gap, you can get your epic pics like these ones....and the DRAGON STICKER!!!

Last edited by frekeyguy; 12-16-2011 at 08:22 AM.

I passed thru Quebec city and Moncton on my way to the East coast this summer. Moncton is a cute little city, I love it. We went thru there 2x, we relaxed and have a drink there.

Let me know if u have questions
    Resident Loudmouth

I vote Gaspe and Maritimes. Canada is extremely beautiful and we often over look it as a vacation/riding destination. I guess we fall victim to the "grass is always greener" mentality. The Gaspe region is stunning and I am hoping to do that trip myself in the next year or two. Also, there will be far less bike traffic on the Gaspe trip. The Blue Ridge/Dragon tour is basically like motorcycle Mecca in summer and can get very crowded.

As for the "contemplate freedom lost" comment, I would have hoped you did that before you proposed. If you are marrying the right person, it isn't "freedom lost", it should be "life partner found"! I was lucky enough to find a woman who shares my love of motorcycling and I really enjoy heading out for rides/tours with her. She doesn't get mad when I wave "bye" to her and race ahead through a twisty section as long as I slow down for her to catch up on the straights and she even has no problems with me taking off for rides and even weekenders on the bike without her.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    I vote Gaspe and Maritimes. Canada is extremely beautiful and we often over look it as a vacation/riding destination. I guess we fall victim to the "grass is always greener" mentality. .
    I'd have to agree. Even though I've never been to Gaspe, just riding thru the maritimes and Quebec it was like if I had entered another country. The people are different and so is the scenery
    Resident Loudmouth

Thanks for the messages and responses everyone.

This actually won't be a 2-up trip. I agree that it's far for a 2-up trip, and my fiancée won't have time away / available for it - she'll be in her nursing residency.

I was being tongue-in-cheek with the 'freedom lost' - she's amazing and I'm a lucky guy. We do do lots of 2-up trips together - this season, we rode to Tobermory, down Beaver Valley Road, to Barrie via Hockley Valley, and to Grand Bend together. Before I met her, I was a very independent person and I think it'll be fun just to have one last solo adventure away from everything. Think of this as my 'bachelor party' without strippers or throwing up

The bike is a Bandit 600 with a better seat, windscreen and hard luggage. I'd like to find some corners and twisties on this trip, but I also value scenery and a good destination.

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    The bike is a Bandit 600 with a better seat, windscreen and hard luggage. I'd like to find some corners and twisties on this trip, but I also value scenery and a good destination.
    Sunrise trail
    Bay of Fundy
    Cabot Trail
    Resident Loudmouth

Head east, go through the states through the Adironacks. Amazing riding, smooth roads, beautiful scenery and no shortage of twisties. I would take southern route to Gaspe and the Maritimes.

Last edited by lucky2; 02-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by honduhmatic View Post
    Sounds like your bike might be my bike's doppleganger! I have a 2001 Bandit 600 (blue) with 1" bar risers, Givi windscreen, Givi E41 side cases and Givi V46 top box. I haven't changed the seat though. I did a long trip out to Nova Scotia this past summer and found the seat comfortable up to about 600km. After that it started to get a little sore.

I can say this, the planning of the trip is half the fun! So enjoy thinking about it, researching it, planning it and prepping for it. By the time you leave, you're trip really is half over!
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Slight differences on the bike, but overall very close:

Silver '04 Bandit 600S
    MRA Vario Windscreen
    Shad luggage - 3x Shad SH42 luggage containers
    Custom seat by a local upholstery maker

I think bar risers were done by the previous owner? I find it fairly comfty now - I've thought about dropping the pegs a little too, but overall I think I can ride 700 kms/day with it now.

It's getting a jet kit, a set of Pilot Road 3's, and maybe a pipe this winter. I'd love to firm up the suspension too, but I have that wedding to pay for...

Anyways, will start getting some tour books and try to set a date for this trip. Thanks for the advice everyone. I am leaning east coast but nothing's in stone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 316533_10150349146831840_501741839_8531118_1947754986_n.jpg  
    Last edited by honduhmatic; 12-18-2011 at 08:28 AM.