Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

Thread: Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

I'm planning a ride from PA to Newfoundland for the upcoming summer on my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200XL Custom. I'm considering the idea of selling the bike once I get there, but have a few questions as it is a US registered bike as I am a US citizen and reside in the States. I'm thinking of selling it once I'm up there for the main reason that I'm not sure that I want to make the return trip home on that bike, and while I'd love to upgrade to a touring bike it just isn't in the cards right now. Other circumstances dictate that if I don't do the trip this summer, it likely will not happen in my lifetime.

The research I've done has not provided any real or useful information. I've found a fair bit on exporting bikes that are already sold, but even then I find a lot of conflicting pieces of information on rules/taxes, etc. Do any of you have a good resource that would provide this info, or know what the rules are in a situation like this?

I'd appreciate any info! Thanks!

Re: Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

I'm pretty sure that is a no-go. Have a read here and see if it helps you out: http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

There's nothing wrong with Riding the Bike then Selling it here.
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

You can do it. Here is a link to the sticky for importing a MC to Canada.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...be-all-end-all)

You should do ok selling in NL. As for picking up a touring model, St John's the the best place to look but, most things on The Rock generally cost more due to shipping expenses for all things.

It's a beautiful place to ride. I've been there a few times but, never on a MC. I'd love to do it.

Research the ferry arrangements and return travel. Do it in advance of the tourist season (summer).

Good luck and make sure you bring a camera.

Cheers.

Nakkers, that sticky link you show only deals with Canadians going down to the U.S.A. to buy a bike and then bringing it back to Canada.
    Triumphgirl is an American that wants to bring her bike up to Canada to sell.
    Entirely different situation..
    The canadian that buys the bike from her would have a hell of a lot of problems getting the paperwork done on the bike and may possibly have to go back down to the border to go thru the process of bringing it back again.

Post it for sale on kijiji in Newfoundland. Find a buyer and deliver the bike to them? There is probably paper work that you can process when you cross the border.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Nakkers, that sticky link you show only deals with Canadians going down to the U.S.A. to buy a bike and then bringing it back to Canada.
    Triumphgirl is an American that wants to bring her bike up to Canada to sell.
    Entirely different situation..
    The canadian that buys the bike from her would have a hell of a lot of problems getting the paperwork done on the bike and may possibly have to go back down to the border to go thru the process of bringing it back again.

Thanks for setting me straight Mac. Didn't think of that at all. Doh! Glad there are more than a few of us to keep things honest.

Cheers.