Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

I'm planning a ride from PA to Newfoundland for the upcoming summer on my 2005 Harley Sportster 1200XL Custom. I'm considering the idea of selling the bike once I get there, but have a few questions as it is a US registered bike as I am a US citizen and reside in the States. I'm thinking of selling it once I'm up there for the main reason that I'm not sure that I want to make the return trip home on that bike, and while I'd love to upgrade to a touring bike it just isn't in the cards right now. Other circumstances dictate that if I don't do the trip this summer, it likely will not happen in my lifetime.

The research I've done has not provided any real or useful information. I've found a fair bit on exporting bikes that are already sold, but even then I find a lot of conflicting pieces of information on rules/taxes, etc. Do any of you have a good resource that would provide this info, or know what the rules are in a situation like this?

I'd appreciate any info! Thanks!

Re: Riding to Newfoundland, Then Sell the Bike

I'm pretty sure that is a no-go. Have a read here and see if it helps you out: http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

There's nothing wrong with Riding the Bike then Selling it here.
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

You can do it. Here is a link to the sticky for importing a MC to Canada.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...be-all-end-all)

You should do ok selling in NL. As for picking up a touring model, St John's the the best place to look but, most things on The Rock generally cost more due to shipping expenses for all things.

It's a beautiful place to ride. I've been there a few times but, never on a MC. I'd love to do it.

Research the ferry arrangements and return travel. Do it in advance of the tourist season (summer).

Good luck and make sure you bring a camera.

Cheers.

Nakkers, that sticky link you show only deals with Canadians going down to the U.S.A. to buy a bike and then bringing it back to Canada.
    Triumphgirl is an American that wants to bring her bike up to Canada to sell.
    Entirely different situation..
    The canadian that buys the bike from her would have a hell of a lot of problems getting the paperwork done on the bike and may possibly have to go back down to the border to go thru the process of bringing it back again.

Post it for sale on kijiji in Newfoundland. Find a buyer and deliver the bike to them? There is probably paper work that you can process when you cross the border.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't want to commit to selling it before I get there as I may decide to ride it home anyway, so the Kijiji idea is a no go, otherwise that appears to be the only way to do it. I figured this would be either impossible or more hassle than it's worth. I've heard of people sailing boats halfway across the world and then selling them, too bad it doesn't work the same for motorcycles.

Thanks again for the input. I'm enjoying following the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphGirl View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I don't want to commit to selling it before I get there as I may decide to ride it home anyway, so the Kijiji idea is a no go, otherwise that appears to be the only way to do it. I figured this would be either impossible or more hassle than it's worth. I've heard of people sailing boats halfway across the world and then selling them, too bad it doesn't work the same for motorcycles.

Call them

http://www.riv.ca/ContactUs.aspx

See what documents would be required and have them before hand. The taxes at the border could be tricky, along with the US Export Papers. I would guess you would have to check with your side of the border as well.

The export/import part may be difficult as you usually do that at the border (yourside then ourside) and NL has no US border station (besides airport, not sure if they support that service)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...or_vehicle.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...er_service.xml

I would guess it can be done, but what PITA would it be.

In NL you could get a decent price as the market is more contained.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Nakkers, that sticky link you show only deals with Canadians going down to the U.S.A. to buy a bike and then bringing it back to Canada.
    Triumphgirl is an American that wants to bring her bike up to Canada to sell.
    Entirely different situation..
    The canadian that buys the bike from her would have a hell of a lot of problems getting the paperwork done on the bike and may possibly have to go back down to the border to go thru the process of bringing it back again.

Thanks for setting me straight Mac. Didn't think of that at all. Doh! Glad there are more than a few of us to keep things honest.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphGirl View Post

There is a reason why the summer months are tourist season on The Rock. They have a late summer, and if you go too early (July early August) you may encounter highs of 19 deg celsius, fog and rain with lows of 10c as I did this past summer. As soon as I got off the ferry it was 27c in Nova Scotia.

Riding there and back is very doable, I did it on a Kawasaki KLR 650 which is much worse on the pavement than your sportster.

Just do it, but pack for cool and wet weather, you'll love it.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Is it just my age (wisedom) or did everybody just supply the research work needed for someone trying to sell a stolen U.S. registered bike in Newfoundland?

If you notice this person is a newbie and just started posting, and then surprise, out pops this question! Who makes a one-way trip to sell a bike?
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyHare View Post
    Is it just my age (wisedom) or did everybody just supply the research work needed for someone trying to sell a stolen U.S. registered bike in Newfoundland?

If you notice this person is a newbie and just started posting, and then surprise, out pops this question! Who makes a one-way trip to sell a bike?
    Well the posted info (and process) would/should catch that. Especially the REQUIRED US Export Process. (thats why it exists)

No one posted anything that isn't available to everyone, and the way that is required to do it would not work for a stolen bike. (should not anyway)

Ouch. That's usually caught at the border in the red tape.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by HarleyHare View Post

And People wonder why the "Brotherhood of riders" Died
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

There are some flaws in your plan. The biggest one I see is that NFLD has a short riding season to begin with, a perpetually depressed economy, and a small population. I'm guessing the window of time you will be there and have to sell the bike will be small, so I'm not sure how many people there would jump to buy a used Sportster with such a small amount of time to do it unless you are selling it for much less than it is worth. The second flaw is the return trip. You say that you aren't looking to buy another bike while there, so you will be reliant on either a flight or bus trip back. Neither will be cheap. I don't think you'll even find a direct flight from NFLD to PA, and who wants to spend a day or two on a greyhound?

My suggestion would be that if you want to ride up to NFLD, do it, but do the return trip on the bike too. Sell the bike when you get back.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    There are some flaws in your plan. The biggest one I see is that NFLD has a short riding season to begin with, a perpetually depressed economy, and a small population.
    Wrong, there is more oil and gas money floating around NL then you can shake a stick at, everything is rising (even crime) due to it. (minus the folks who will not turn away from the fishery)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2267753/
    http://www.economics.gov.nl.ca/E2011...icOverview.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    I'm guessing the window of time you will be there and have to sell the bike will be small, so I'm not sure how many people there would jump to buy a used Sportster with such a small amount of time to do it unless you are selling it for much less than it is worth.
    Wrong again, there are MANY folks with cash to buy bikes, it is growing fast down there. The supply is the issue... they usually struggle to pull high priced goods from other areas such as Ontario.

I would almost guarentee you would get more for it in NL, any used vehicle from the "mainland" will draw a better price due to the perception that the elements (mainly salt sea air) have not yet taken their toll on the machine (less so with bikes) Take this ad for example: http://newfoundland.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ323476459
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 12-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Last edited by lucky2; 02-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2 View Post
    Glad to see NL doing well, i was on the sedco710 off the grand banks in the late 70's early 80's.

they were talking Hibernia back then but never had the platform up and running yet.

interesting read

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/society/oil_economy.html

here's a link to a pic of the 710

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=sedco+...At4HwCQ&zoom=1
    I THINK the Sedco710 turned into the William (Billy) Shoemaker (not certain about that though). I was a part of the crew that brought The Shoemaker back to NL in the late 90's to drill for Terra Nova. The Henry Goodrich is the main semi-sub out there now, but I think the Sedco710 has been back to exploration in the last decade or so as well.

Our 3 week tow trip from Galveston to the Grand Banks turned into 9 weeks... damn storms coming through the triangle, we would wake up 60 miles BACK from where we went to sleep due to having to submerge for stability in the weather, and the poor single tug could bo nothing except keep us in line.
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 12-16-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Last edited by lucky2; 02-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Wrong, there is more oil and gas money floating around NL then you can shake a stick at, everything is rising (even crime) due to it. (minus the folks who will not turn away from the fishery)
    Well, there may be oil money in NFLD, but I don't believe that it is "more than you can shake a stick at" and I also don't believe that it is wide spread wealth. I have a lot of family in Clarenville and the surrounding area, none of whom are in the fishery and none of whom have seen any "oil money" come their way. I know that there are some people that are working in the oil industry and they are making a great buck, but to my knowledge, there is still a lot of under-employment and unemployment on the rock.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.