Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

Re: Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

i just shut the petcock and let the bike run until it dies
    1999 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Current)
    2010 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    On your last ride on the bike, put an appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer in the tank before going for the ride. Half a kilometer from home, switch the fuel valve off. When you get home, leave the engine running until it starts running rough, then turn the choke on to keep the engine running, keep it going until it stalls. At this point, there will only be a tiny amount left in the float bowls. I've always not concerned myself with that, and it's never been an issue come springtime. Running the engine until it quits means the fuel level in the float bowls will be below the jets - which means any dissolved solids that might be present, won't clog the jets, because the fuel isn't evaporating inside the jets. Never had an issue by doing it this way.
    See, reason why your way doesn't work and why I have to drain it is....

GS500F has no off switch =D lol

Unless I go underneath the fuel tank. All I have on the external valve is: ON, PRIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    ... but whether you can get to all of those screws without tearing half the bike apart first, is quite another matter! Had a couple in which it really wasn't worth the trouble ...
    Ah - fair point. A benefit of my riding mostly UJM / dual sport bikes I suppose.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

I drained the carb in the KLR by putting a small funnel and a container under it. If you want to be enviro hippy, you can pour the gas back into the tank -- This assumes funnel and container are clean.

EDIT: If this is the first time you're doing it, be sure everything is in place before turning the screw... there's a lot more fuel in there than you'd expect
    White 2008 CBR125R - Sold
    Special Edition 2009 Ninja 250
    2001 KLR-650

I also have a GS500F.

I went to John's Photo & Hobby @ 2188 Danforth Ave. in Toronto (johnshobbies.ca).

They have two kinds of fuel hose (intended for remote controlled planes, etc) - a blue kind and a yellow kind. The yellow kind is for gasoline, the blue kind is for ethanol, so get yellow. It comes in three sizes, get the largest one. Get them to cut you maybe 2 or 3 feet of it from the reel.

Fresh off the reel, the diameter of the tube is just a little tiny bit small to get the end onto over the GS's carb drain spouts. So: hold a lighter up to it, let the plastic start to melt just a bit, and ream it out just a little with a flathead screwdriver. I was able to get a snug, well sealing fit on the first try doing this. Works perfectly and it was cheap.
    2007 Black/Silver GS500F, naked, 0.80kg/mm Sonic Springs.

I did this for my ninja 250, just got a roll of clear, food grade 3/16" hose from partsource (i think it was 5-10 bucks), jammed it up onto the float bowls, turned the screws and drained them, all without taking off the fairings.

float bowls on a ninja 250. bolt is the drain for carb, hose attaches to bottom. The hose is just for making it a clean job, I've drained them before with out it, just make sure its over concrete not asphalt. you can also reuse the same hose to bleed the brake lines, its just a tight fit over the bleeder valve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250carb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	27042

Quote Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
    I did this for my ninja 250, just got a roll of clear, food grade 3/16" hose from partsource (i think it was 5-10 bucks), jammed it up onto the float bowls, turned the screws and drained them, all without taking off the fairings.

float bowls on a ninja 250. bolt is the drain for carb, hose attaches to bottom. The hose is just for making it a clean job, I've drained them before with out it, just make sure its over concrete not asphalt. you can also reuse the same hose to bleed the brake lines, its just a tight fit over the bleeder valve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250carb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	27042
    Yeah mine's the exact same (or looks that way).

Thanks for the advice, both you and bombshelter.

Wait so I can just put it on the side walk and do it without a hose? <______<

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    See, reason why your way doesn't work and why I have to drain it is....

GS500F has no off switch =D lol

Unless I go underneath the fuel tank. All I have on the external valve is: ON, PRIME.
    pull the vacuum tube and leave it on "on" that will turn it off.
    x

As said earlier, run Stabil through her and then leave it.

I just put a few rags under the carb(s) and drain away, let the rags soak up the gas.
    There is only a few onces of gas in a float bowl anyway, not a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
    As said earlier, run Stabil through her and then leave it.
    This
    New to me for 2012.

you don't even need a hose ... I just took a metal pie pan and folded it up into the proper shape and stuck it in there under the carbs. i open the drain bolts on the carb bowls and it fills the pan up, then i poor it into a oil bottle for later disposal at the dump witht he rest of my oil. takes all of a minute to fold up the pie pan

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

I like the rag idea lol might just do that today. so sad that I have to put the bike away =(

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    I have a GS500F. Gonna drain the carbs on Friday and finally call it a season.

Where can I find a tube that fits on the drain pipe to lead the gas to a bucket or something?

Dudes at Rosey Toes told me to just do it outside without a tube and let it leak all over but I feel that's kinda...well, irresponsible lol plus gas on bike can't be good...can it?
    Don't know if you have already got what you wanted. I have some left over clear tube that I used when I drained the carbs on the Ninja250R that I used to have. PM me if needed.
    Ride:
    2010 Suzuki SV650SA White (Current)
    2009 Ninja 250r Black (2009 - 2010)
    License:
    GM (2010-07-07)

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    I just put a few rags under the carb(s) and drain away, let the rags soak up the gas.
    That's what I'd do..don't make a mountain out of molehill..yeesh..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I've used a Dixie cup cut in half (in height) so it will fit under the carbs, then open the drain.
    A small measuring cup works well too.
    Z650 C2 X 2

Need a key? I'm a Locksmith and can cut most keys.
    Lock Clinic Inc. 137 Vaughan Rd. (Bathurst & St. Clair) 416-653-2199

Quote Originally Posted by rstnick View Post
    I've used a Dixie cup cut in half (in height) so it will fit under the carbs, then open the drain.
    A small measuring cup works well too.
    I use a similar method.

I use a small piece of hose and drain the carbs into a small measuring cup (that I keep in the garage to measure liquids amount like stabilizer). Then I pour that small amount of gas back into the tank. No mess!
    2000 Ninja 500R

be careful of the kind of material used. gasoline will melt some plastics. then the bottom falls out
    x

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    be careful of the kind of material used. gasoline will melt some plastics. then the bottom falls out
    Good point. I actually use a glass measuring cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Ninja 500R

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieRev View Post
    I use this method as well. Do it outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter