Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

I have a GS500F. Gonna drain the carbs on Friday and finally call it a season.

Where can I find a tube that fits on the drain pipe to lead the gas to a bucket or something?

Dudes at Rosey Toes told me to just do it outside without a tube and let it leak all over but I feel that's kinda...well, irresponsible lol plus gas on bike can't be good...can it?

Re: Draing the Carbs - Where can I get a tube?

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    I have a GS500F. Gonna drain the carbs on Friday and finally call it a season.

Where can I find a tube that fits on the drain pipe to lead the gas to a bucket or something?

Dudes at Rosey Toes told me to just do it outside without a tube and let it leak all over but I feel that's kinda...well, irresponsible lol plus gas on bike can't be good...can it?
    just keep riding around the block like i did last year .. then tuck her in the living room with a nice polished stand.

Most bike shops should have some bulk fuel hose, or try Canadian Tire. Just get a few feet, should be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Most bike shops should have some bulk fuel hose, or try Canadian Tire. Just get a few feet, should be plenty.
    I dunno how wide/big it's supposed to be. Should I ask/look for anything specific?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    That's where I got it. Also comes in handy as a siphon, in case I run out of gas on tour and someone's around to help out.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ep1x View Post
    just keep riding around the block like i did last year .. then tuck her in the living room with a nice polished stand.
    Hell no! Then I'm gonna have to drag the bike back. It's kinda...heavy lol

The carbs may not need to be drained if you use one of the fuel stabilizers in the tank and then run the bike long enough with the treated gas. This will fill the carbs with treated gas. Not quire as good as draining the carbs but alot less messy. As for draining carbs, most do not have a convenient drain that allows one to just hook up a hose. You are looking at pulling the float bowls off the bottom of the carb to do it properly. Do you really want to do that level of disassembly? parillaguy

3 foot length of fuel line is all you need, not sure what diameter you need but it's fairly cheap so you could get multiple sizes. to actually drain them you shouldn't have to do much more than remove the tank, possibly a couple fairings. look on the gs500 site to get detailed instructions on the step by steps.
    x

你試圖去你當地的五金商店購買一個小的軟管長度 ?

Ÿü沒有去加拿大的輪胎

我想螺栓
    Last edited by ZX600; 12-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by parillaguy View Post
    The carbs may not need to be drained if you use one of the fuel stabilizers in the tank and then run the bike long enough with the treated gas. This will fill the carbs with treated gas. Not quire as good as draining the carbs but alot less messy. As for draining carbs, most do not have a convenient drain that allows one to just hook up a hose. You are looking at pulling the float bowls off the bottom of the carb to do it properly. Do you really want to do that level of disassembly? parillaguy
    Nah man, I asked the mechanics at Rosey Toes. There's a screw on the bottom of both carb thingies (terminology likely wrong). Just take screw, and pop 'em open.

And @ everyone writing in Chinese: I can't read =D lol

EDIT: I'm Taiwanese/Korean/Japanese but can only speak Mandarin, cannot write anything besides C++, Perl, Java, HTML, Javascript, C, and others....and of course, English =P

什麼將輕拍norris ?

Size doesn't really matter. When I worked at Inglis we had two reels of bulk fuel hose, one slightly bigger than the other. Either would likely work.

How about just use some fish tank tubing. The stuff used on the air pumps. Should be a pretty close size to a carb fuel line. Then just discard or recycle it.
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard
    '86 Yamaha BW200

how about using anything that is round and hollow ?

like a McDonalds straw or an an empty Pen

if you cant figure this out, you'd be dead on survivorman within 10 minutes.

les stroud would then eat you for protein, and make a tent out of your skin

On your last ride on the bike, put an appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer in the tank before going for the ride. Half a kilometer from home, switch the fuel valve off. When you get home, leave the engine running until it starts running rough, then turn the choke on to keep the engine running, keep it going until it stalls. At this point, there will only be a tiny amount left in the float bowls. I've always not concerned myself with that, and it's never been an issue come springtime. Running the engine until it quits means the fuel level in the float bowls will be below the jets - which means any dissolved solids that might be present, won't clog the jets, because the fuel isn't evaporating inside the jets. Never had an issue by doing it this way.

the answer to your very complicated question https://01f6bbb.netsolstores.com/ima.../IDmeasure.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by parillaguy View Post
    As for draining carbs, most do not have a convenient drain that allows one to just hook up a hose. You are looking at pulling the float bowls off the bottom of the carb to do it properly. Do you really want to do that level of disassembly? parillaguy
    What bikes have you owned? Every bike I've owned over the last 20 years has had a drain screw.
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    What bikes have you owned? Every bike I've owned over the last 20 years has had a drain screw.
    ... but whether you can get to all of those screws without tearing half the bike apart first, is quite another matter! Had a couple in which it really wasn't worth the trouble ...