"Dangerous Roads"

Thread: "Dangerous Roads"

"Dangerous Roads"

So I was looking up some information on the Million Dollar Highway, a road that I took during my trip in the spring and I found an awesome site for "dangerous roads" across the world.

There is a section for North America which includes some very interesting roads, although many of them not so dangerous. If you want to know dangerous, look up some of the roads in South America

Great for planning trips down South although most of the roads are on the West side of the states. Its a good read too. Just wanted to share with you guys: http://dangerousroads.org/north-america.html
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Re: "Dangerous Roads"

Looks good, thanks for showing this.
    I am surprised that The 1000 Islands Parkway is listed as a dangerous road!
    For sure on my to do list for next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Looks good, thanks for showing this.
    I am surprised that The 1000 Islands Parkway is listed as a dangerous road!
    For sure on my to do list for next summer.
    I think the website started off as showcasing dangerous roads but more interesting/scenic roads were added to the list. Some of the roads dont appear to have a risk associated at all while others do.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

1000 islands parkway dangerous?? How?? I live about 5 kms from it on the Brockville side. It is fairly flat, straight and ususally patrolled more than other secondary roads for speeders. I hardly ever hear of any serious accidents on it, I can't remember the last time I heard someone died in an accident on it either. It usually ends up somewhere in my ride about 90% fo the time I go out. It is scenic and a great road to cruise on. If you keep it under 100 kph chances are you wont get a speeding ticket. Be careful going through Mallorytown Landing, it goes down to 60 kph for about 1 km, they love to sit there and pick off the drivers that don't lift.

Heres a quote from the article about the 1000 Islands Parkway.Anyone know the name and exactly where this Fish and Chips place is?
    It looks like it would be a great place to stop for lunch!

.After about an hour you will reach the 401 highway. Take it westbound towards Brockville.
    Brockville is another beautiful city to visit, and has, what I believe, to be one of the best “fish & chip” take away restaurants anywhere, as well as one of the best parking spots on Blockhouse Island with wonderful views of the St. Lawrence allowing you to sit at and enjoy watching the busy river life sail by while you munch excellent fish and hot, home cut french fries.

Mount Washington Auto Road http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/
    or Pikes Peak in Colorado.
    Both are awesome roads especially when you get about half way up.

I've ridden both and the Million Dollar Highway, and I think Pikes Peak was the scariest.
    "Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of bad experience comes from bad judgment."

Quote Originally Posted by macrider View Post
    Heres a quote from the article about the 1000 Islands Parkway.Anyone know the name and exactly where this Fish and Chips place is?
    It looks like it would be a great place to stop for lunch!

.After about an hour you will reach the 401 highway. Take it westbound towards Brockville.
    Brockville is another beautiful city to visit, and has, what I believe, to be one of the best “fish & chip” take away restaurants anywhere, as well as one of the best parking spots on Blockhouse Island with wonderful views of the St. Lawrence allowing you to sit at and enjoy watching the busy river life sail by while you munch excellent fish and hot, home cut french fries.
    They would be referring to Don's fish and Chips at 40 Water Street, just across street is The Beer Store. I have found if there is a place people seem to know directions to get to somewhere it is always the LCBO and The Beer Store

Quote Originally Posted by dyno View Post

I've ridden both and the Million Dollar Highway, and I think Pikes Peak was the scariest.
    I did the Peak-to-Peak and Trail Ridge Road earlier this year, but couldn't fit in everything I wanted to do - which is why I'm heading back out next summer. This time I'm going to concentrate on Colorado and New Mexico, so hopefully can fit these in (well not Mount Washington of course -at least on this trip) - San Juan By-Way tops my list of things I wanted to ride but didn't - especially since I stayed in Grand Junction, which is practically a stone's throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by dyno View Post

I wish I had the chance to do Pikes Peak when I was there....but I got there 30 mins after the last car up time....but it was only open 3/4 way up anyways because of the snow.

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR

Somewhere between Eden Mills/Guelph, Ontario and Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by bd112 View Post
    ... ususally patrolled more than other secondary roads for speeders...
    Maybe that's why it's dangerous. Risk of getting caught enjoying yourself. lol
    2009 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R (has a cup holder)|Mods: Passenger foot peg flip up cup holder; ER6N grab bars; Grab bar sliders; Woodcraft swingarm spools; '09 fairing vibe fix; Thick weather stripping under seat; SportBars; Ninja650Shop.com no-cut sliders.|Upcoming: Fork sliders; Extended swingarm spools; Bar-end mirrors; HIDs with projectors.
    1987 Red Porsche 944 N/A (no cup holder)|Stock.
    1997 Black SAAB 900 SE 2.0 Turbo (1 cup holder)|Stock.

Good read. thanks for the link.
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports