2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not? - Page 3

View Poll Results: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell ya

47 82.46%
  • Nope

8 14.04%
  • Other (Please specify)

2 3.51%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

Re: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

love the bike. everything but the exhaust tumor... you would think if you were buying a termi for an s4r, you would ditch the cat...

though that tumor will likely keep it quiet (ish) compared to a full system.

Buy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Jesus Rodney, if you get that Mostro, I'll have a whole new respect for you.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

All good advice so far in this thread.The only thing i can add is to emphasize that the 4 valver will be expensive to service.If you are mechanically inclined,get yourself a 2 valver and learn to do the valves and belts yourself.They are much simpler to work on,and very reliable.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

If you haven't already, just pull the trigger and buy the bike. You'll crap your pants when you first ride it. 999 engine, gobs of down low torque, and typical Ducati quality.

The Monster has been Ducati's bread and butter for years... you won't go wrong.

Rodney if the dry clutch is excessively noisy it is most likely the clutch plate kit needs replacing. The tangs on the plates wear in a L shape and the gap between the tangs and the basket increases, the dry clutch then becomes louder as the gap increases. Functionality is not impacted until the plates get really thin and on 12,000KM you don't need to worry. I only just replaced the plates and basket on my 998 with 40K on it and it wasn't slipping at all. I can probably get you the basket and plates for $400.00 all in.
    Last edited by topendz; 12-09-2011 at 07:34 AM.

I have ther 2007 S2R 1000.
    Love the bike for crusing, sport riding and touring.
    I have done many 600km + rides with no issues. (do I sometime get aches after that ?) sure I do. But I get the same from My Bandit and FJ. Maintenance is not as scary as its made out. If you need work done on it let me know.

$7500? The price is right for that bike, especially coming from a dealership... Sounds like a great deal. The guy who sold it to them must of really got hosed.

If I were you, I would buy it before somebody beats up to it. Thats a serious street machine and who cares about the details you find ugly on the bike! Change the headline if you don't like it. The bike is a "Monster" after all.

I might take you up on that. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brit Biker View Post
    I have ther 2007 S2R 1000.
    Love the bike for crusing, sport riding and touring.
    I have done many 600km + rides with no issues. (do I sometime get aches after that ?) sure I do. But I get the same from My Bandit and FJ. Maintenance is not as scary as its made out. If you need work done on it let me know.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

I was thinking the same thing, considering he bought is new in 2007 for 22k!!!

It's pretty much mine, I just have to go over and have a look (and listen) and sign crap

Quote Originally Posted by toshison View Post
    $7500? The price is right for that bike, especially coming from a dealership... Sounds like a great deal. The guy who sold it to them must of really got hosed.

If I were you, I would buy it before somebody beats up to it. Thats a serious street machine and who cares about the details you find ugly on the bike! Change the headline if you don't like it. The bike is a "Monster" after all.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

You could buy my Tuono. Better bike... a bit more miles. I don't really want to sell it, but the v4 is calling my name...
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

I have an '04 S4R (the 996 engine) which is very similar to the 07 S4RS, but not quite as nice . It's my daily commuter from Markham to downtown Toronto this year. My wife owned a Duc 695 which I frequently used, and I've also tried an S2R 800. But before the monster it has always been sport bikes (F4i, 636, R6).

My experience :

Pro's :
    - fantastic torque
    - relatively comfortable (compared to the SS's)
    - great handling, even with the stock suspension (yours will be considerably better)
    - easy to flick around in traffic downtown
    - sounds great, even with the stock exhaust

Con's :
    - really *really* heavy clutch. Almost unbearable in stop and go traffic
    - terrible range on a full tank of gas, even when you're not greedy with the throttle
    - cold hearted beast that does not like to start when cold
    - terrible off idle response.. rough, abrupt. It makes dealing with slow or stop and go traffic a series pain
    - heat off the engine in traffic will sear your thighs

I'd suggest buying the S2R800 (not 1000) if you plan on sitting in any type of traffic on a daily basis. The clutch is far more traffic friendly, the bike will handle much better off idle as you deal with stop and go traffic, and the heat won't kill you. Plus it doesn't have the huge rad, but is otherwise identical.

If you're planning on using the S4RS for evening and weekend blasts, it'll be a ton of fun. It could even handle the occasional long ride as long as you plan to fill up *frequently*.

Thx for the detailed response.

I'm an evening and weekender, so it should be fun

Quote Originally Posted by sys49152 View Post
    I have an '04 S4R (the 996 engine) which is very similar to the 07 S4RS, but not quite as nice . It's my daily commuter from Markham to downtown Toronto this year. My wife owned a Duc 695 which I frequently used, and I've also tried an S2R 800. But before the monster it has always been sport bikes (F4i, 636, R6).

My experience :

Pro's :
    - fantastic torque
    - relatively comfortable (compared to the SS's)
    - great handling, even with the stock suspension (yours will be considerably better)
    - easy to flick around in traffic downtown
    - sounds great, even with the stock exhaust

Con's :
    - really *really* heavy clutch. Almost unbearable in stop and go traffic
    - terrible range on a full tank of gas, even when you're not greedy with the throttle
    - cold hearted beast that does not like to start when cold
    - terrible off idle response.. rough, abrupt. It makes dealing with slow or stop and go traffic a series pain
    - heat off the engine in traffic will sear your thighs

I'd suggest buying the S2R800 (not 1000) if you plan on sitting in any type of traffic on a daily basis. The clutch is far more traffic friendly, the bike will handle much better off idle as you deal with stop and go traffic, and the heat won't kill you. Plus it doesn't have the huge rad, but is otherwise identical.

If you're planning on using the S4RS for evening and weekend blasts, it'll be a ton of fun. It could even handle the occasional long ride as long as you plan to fill up *frequently*.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

If all goes well, I'm pulling the trigger next week
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

I owned an '07 and loved it, one of my most favourite bikes and I've owned many. I used it for sport touring and rode it on a long weekend trip to Montreal down to Portsmouth New Hampshire, back through the mountains and Vermont and back home along the 401. I never felt there wasn't enough wind protection and I could ride all day but do respect the low fuel warning light or you will be walking (don't ask me how I know). The tank is only good for 160 kms, not a km more, at least at my pace.

The only concern I have about the one you are looking at is the fact that it looks like it had a tail chop. To some it may look better but the frame has been cut. If you want to sell it down the road as a "classic" you will lose on the deal, likely the reason why the price is so reasonable. Also, where is the passenger seat plastic cover? I hope its with the bike or you'll be on eBay finding a used one, it completes the bike.

I would buy another one tomorrow without hesitation. I put about 7.000 kms on mine during the three months I owned it (I would swap bikes two to three times a season). This one I miss, along with my R1200S BMW.

Love hearing for actual S4 owners, thx for posting Sounds like this bike really impressed you.

If you don't mind me asking, what bike are you currently riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanmac View Post
    I owned an '07 and loved it, one of my most favourite bikes and I've owned many. I used it for sport touring and rode it on a long weekend trip to Montreal down to Portsmouth New Hampshire, back through the mountains and Vermont and back home along the 401. I never felt there wasn't enough wind protection and I could ride all day but do respect the low fuel warning light or you will be walking (don't ask me how I know). The tank is only good for 160 kms, not a km more, at least at my pace.

The only concern I have about the one you are looking at is the fact that it looks like it had a tail chop. To some it may look better but the frame has been cut. If you want to sell it down the road as a "classic" you will lose on the deal, likely the reason why the price is so reasonable. Also, where is the passenger seat plastic cover? I hope its with the bike or you'll be on eBay finding a used one, it completes the bike.

I would buy another one tomorrow without hesitation. I put about 7.000 kms on mine during the three months I owned it (I would swap bikes two to three times a season). This one I miss, along with my R1200S BMW.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Love hearing for actual S4 owners, thx for posting Sounds like this bike really impressed you.

If you don't mind me asking, what bike are you currently riding?
    A Specialized fixed gear bicycle. I gave up riding a couple of years ago. Too many police, too many straight roads, just got bored riding in Ontario. I did most of my riding in the States but hated the long rides to get to proper roads. I kept enough gear to take on a trip if I wanted to rent and ride, which I have done in the past.

Frame has been cut? This sounds bad. Please explain.

I'll ask them about it all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanmac View Post
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Frame has been cut? This sounds bad. Please explain.

I'll ask them about it all the same.
    The "Beer Tray" as they call it, the plastic section behind the seat that holds the taillight gets cut off by many riders for apparent styling reasons so that the seat becomes the new rear to the bike. There is a section of frame behind the seat that holds the beer tray so, when you remove the tray, you cut off the frame rails to complete the look. The picture you posted appears to show that the beer tray has been removed. Google the bike and look at photos on line or go to eBay and find one for sale where there would be, hopefully, photos of all angles of the bike.

I'm not an engineer so I can't comment if it would affect the handling of the bike but i do think it could affect value, just as buying a bike without a stock paint job lowers the value. As I used to trade bikes every 2 to 3 months, anything that took away from the standard look, except maybe a pipe, I would not touch.

The tail chop does nothing to weaken the frame. They're just 2 tubes that extend beyond the tail section. So many Monsters have them removed that it really doesn't affect the value unless you are an absolute purest who wants a 100% stock bike.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40