2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not? - Page 2

View Poll Results: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell ya

47 82.46%
  • Nope

8 14.04%
  • Other (Please specify)

2 3.51%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

Re: 2007 Ducati S4RS - Buy or not?

Yea, already did this and since it's not a SS, it's only a few hundred over what I'm paying for my 650R. Although, I'm considering full coverage on this bike so, it will be a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    One last thing to consider from the debbie downer perspective. Find out how much this beast is to insure. It might just sober you up from the lust.

I'd rather close my eyes and pull the trigger but, it's easy to spend other people's money.

Cheers man. Have fun.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

SWEET

Well, the bike was bought and serviced at the same dealer and the guy told me the full 10k service was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I was wrong the intervals appear to have been changed (extended) in 2007 . The 4v engines are a bit of a pain and the heads should be removed to adjust the valves. You can download the owners manual from ducatis website but the valves need inspected every 12000 on that bike and the timing belt replaced every 24000. Make sure the service that was done included the valve check.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Yea, the dealer told me they sold this bike new in 2007 for 22K!!!!
    You have to remember Ducati has reduced prices in the last 5 yrs the equivalent of that bike is only $14000 list brand new today so the cost of it new means nothing.

Rod,

Most folks that own ducs can tell you, parts and service costs are at a much higher premium. It's true Ducati has improved the service intervals and there are places to get some deals.

Ultimately, if you're gonna ride a Victoria's secret model, expect the higher costs associated to enjoy her. You can get a nice litre bike that may not have the same curb appeal but less worry on the cost of ownership.

If I had known the costs involved of get married up front, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger. Just kidding. Kind of.

1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Different animals maybe a speed triple.

Yea, service will be a bit on the pricey side

I'd love to hear from some Ducati owners on service and the bikes overall reliability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nakkers View Post
    Rod,

Most folks that own ducs can tell you, parts and service costs are at a much higher premium. It's true Ducati has improved the service intervals and there are places to get some deals.

Ultimately, if you're gonna ride a Victoria's secret model, expect the higher costs associated to enjoy her. You can get a nice litre bike that may not have the same curb appeal but less worry on the cost of ownership.

If I had known the costs involved of get married up front, I'm not sure I would have pulled the trigger. Just kidding. Kind of.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

VERY cool, but not interested in a SS ATM.

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyBR View Post
    Yea, service will be a bit on the pricey side

I'd love to hear from some Ducati owners on service and the bikes overall reliability as well.
    I have a 1198 and have had no major issues it did leak oil when it was new, but it the dealer fixed it and no problems since.

I think is a great price for the condition and mileage, if you don't mind the look then buy it.

Whats the point of mentioning whether others would like or not like about the sound of the engine?? ur the one who wants it, not others

Mind the look? I think it looks excellent aside form the large rad and light.

I'm going over to have a look and listen for myself soon

Quote Originally Posted by kickstartt View Post
    I think is a great price for the condition and mileage, if you don't mind the look then buy it.

Whats the point of mentioning whether others would like or not like about the sound of the engine?? ur the one who wants it, not others
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Good to hear. That oil leak was probably just a gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    I have a 1198 and have had no major issues it did leak oil when it was new, but it the dealer fixed it and no problems since.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

It's a very nice bike. My dad bought one new back in '08. He just did basic maintenance (through a dealer) and rode it everyday when weather permitted. I think he put over 35K on it. Only difference is he didn't have the 'S' model. He never had any issues with it.

As for the radiator he bought covers for them (in black) and it cleaned up the look as well as being functional to protect. I can't recall which one he got, I'll try to see if he remembers.

That was his first Ducati, and he's not looking back, this past spring he decided to change up bikes and bought a Streetfighter 'S'. It seems now the Diavel or Panigale are on his radar........

The only complaint he ever had which went away after a few weeks was his wrists hurting (due to the fact he was used to cruisers and older Japanese standard bike handlebars) after he got used to it lol.

Good luck with your choice!
    " Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul "

It might be a gorgeous bike but how practical is it? The comparison to a VS model is pretty realistic; high cost, high maintenance. How often will you be doing track days? If you get caught doing 160 on the street then they take it to the pound where it will be sodomized. Do you really want a high revving screamer? How loud will the wife scream if you lose your license? You'll be in the dog house for a long time. You won't be able to afford bike insurance anymore. What about your neighbours? Will you be reluctant to ride the bike in your neighbourhood at night because it is so loud or do you live in da 'brige with all the other ********?
    S2R would be more practical.
    Last edited by sircastic; 12-11-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Ok here is the site where my Dad got his covers from:

http://www.coxracingroup.com/

And a pic of the bike, sorry not the best angle but you get an idea:

" Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul "

Glad to hear your Dad liked the bike and thx for the heads up on the grill. I believe that's a requirement for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    Ok here is the site where my Dad got his covers from:

http://www.coxracingroup.com/

And a pic of the bike, sorry not the best angle but you get an idea:

Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Go for it. My buddy loves his SR2.

I'm sure maintenance will be a little pricier on parts, but that's the brand for you.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

I had a S2R 800 which is this bikes younger brother. This is a VERY VERY nice bike and I think it looks MUCH better and is a better performer than any of the newer monsters produced since. SOlid price for that bike too. The Termi pipe by itself is probably about $2000.

Be prepared though, you WILL be paying SS insurance rates. All insurance companies in Ontario will class it as an SS even though it's not.

Also: as been mentioned this is a 4 valve/cylinder liquid cooled engine so maintenance will be more than a 2 valver like the air cooled monsters.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

The S4Rs will be quite a bit faster off the line than the Daytona....seriously. This bike basically has the 999 engine in it. But even than, apples and oranges as mentioned.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

I gave the VIN# to my broker at Jevco and it's not much more than what I'm paying now, unless I go full coverage with will be a few hundred more. I will check with him again though before I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I had a S2R 800 which is this bikes younger brother. This is a VERY VERY nice bike and I think it looks MUCH better and is a better performer than any of the newer monsters produced since. SOlid price for that bike too. The Termi pipe by itself is probably about $2000.

Be prepared though, you WILL be paying SS insurance rates. All insurance companies in Ontario will class it as an SS even though it's not.

Also: as been mentioned this is a 4 valve/cylinder liquid cooled engine so maintenance will be more than a 2 valver like the air cooled monsters.
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

04 VFR800 (Current)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc