Thinking of upgrading...thoughts and suggestions anyone? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of upgrading...thoughts and suggestions anyone?

Re: Thinking of upgrading...thoughts and suggestions anyone?

gs500

The CBR 250R is a very nice bike (I ride one) with lots of little features that you might appreciate if you're mainly a commuter. FI, fuel gauge, clock, optional ABS to name a few. Max speed depends on your size, but you can definitely do highway riding on it. I'm about 5'10/195 pounds, probably 200 in full gear, and I can hit 120-130 km/h very easily, maybe more in full tuck. Ask yourself if you need to go faster than that.

Yes, a bigger bike will feel more stable in the crosswinds and will be able to pass more quickly, but it sounds like you're a big fan of the CBR 125, so I think this very similar bike is worth a good look. Adds a little more power but not much more insurance cost.

I can't believe how tough this decision has been so far! At least at first I knew the 125 would be the easiest/cheapest way to get into it but now there's a whole slew of options!Lone wolf you're right that's basically what I'm looking for, and it would be a bit better learning tool as I'm still so fresh in this sport. Seems like the used market is drying up now and less and less bikes are for sale as people are holding on so I may have missed the boat for a good deal!Thanks again everyone! Have a Happy New Year and let's hope the winter doesn't get extended because of this mildness now!

Keep looking. Like I already suggested to others, expand your search outside of GTA (i.e. search ontario.kijiji.ca instead of toronto). It will only cost you around 100 bucks in renting a trailer and gas (or 200 if you rent a truck/van), but you will have much better selection outside of GTA and will easily save over a grand on a used 250/500cc beginner bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    You should consider the SV and the Ninja 650 as your first options. You will have abundant power but with way more comfort than a SS.
    SV is a hugely popular bike for a reason.
    CBR 250 is slower than the Ninja 250 so you won't feel THAT much of a difference.
    GS500 is a good bike, Ninja 500 would be a slightly better choice IMO, it may look more outdated because of the fairings but is actually a more advanced bike technologically, also more HP.
    The Hornet has a detuned CBR600RR engine and is more in the class of the FZ8/Z750 than the SV.
    The hornet has essentially a f3 engine and it would be my pick.
    to us there was nothing but girls and machines.....

"You tell...and I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"- Pepe Prawn

I agree with you. Hopefully would like this info too:

I love my cibbie 250r . Weigh in at about 115lbs with full gear on. Height 5' 1", Inseam 29" and I'm tippy-toeing it. Not a speed demon, and it's my first season so have not pushed it yet . Will be purchasing a Soupy's adjustable lowering link this year for sure. Preload suspension is at 2, so soft to allow some sag. I've been up to 125 km/h, fourth gear if I remember correctly...

However, my hubby has a tendency to steal my bike since he has winterized his own, lol. 5' 8" Height, and he has the same inseam as myself, 29". Full gear on, he weighs about 185 lbs. He can flatfoot my bike no problem because of his weight. When he takes it, he pushes it thru all six gears. Out on the highway easily hits the 120-130km/h as well, with tons left in her to go more, for sure (it would be interesting to see what max would be on a track).

For the year, I pay about $700 in insurance from State Farm. This is my second bike in one season. I started on a 200cc tw dual sport that was totally geared differently than the sporty 250r.

So I guess what I'm trying to give you an idea of how I enjoy having that big bike look and feel in a smaller package that's easy to flick around for a smaller person, reasonable seat height, good gas mileage, can keep up on the highway and has reasonable insurance, but still has enough fun in it for my larger hubby to steal on a fairly consistant basis, lol .

It will be a commuter bike for me, come next season.

Half the fun is buying a new bike anyways. If you get bored of it, you could always go for a ninja 400. You will have no probs selling a cbr250r when the time comes. Take a look at how much they are going for on Kijiji.

Enjoy the bike shopping !

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
    The CBR 250R is a very nice bike (I ride one) with lots of little features that you might appreciate if you're mainly a commuter. FI, fuel gauge, clock, optional ABS to name a few. Max speed depends on your size, but you can definitely do highway riding on it. I'm about 5'10/195 pounds, probably 200 in full gear, and I can hit 120-130 km/h very easily, maybe more in full tuck. Ask yourself if you need to go faster than that.

Yes, a bigger bike will feel more stable in the crosswinds and will be able to pass more quickly, but it sounds like you're a big fan of the CBR 125, so I think this very similar bike is worth a good look. Adds a little more power but not much more insurance cost.
    Last edited by Orangepeel; 01-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    < Me

My Ride: 2011 CBR250R. Thank you, Santa, for the early Christmas gift. Being naughty has its benefits !
    My Hubby: RodneyBR

Previous/Current Stablemates:
    06 Yamaha TW200 - First bike memories.
    06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (Hubby's bike...sold)
    04 VFR800 (Hubby's new ride)

Hey guys,
    Well just got off the phone with SF and the insurance on anything above 250cc ($780/year vs $1532/year all in and $1326/yr one way) is close to double!

However the purchase prices on both the GS500/BUELL BLAST is about $1000 less than the 2011 CBR250/2010 NINJA 250. So overall price is effectively the same until I get more experience and SF drops my rate! The 599's are hard to find under 4k unfortunately so from a financial standpoint I'm thinking either the Ninja 250 or CBR250 to get some more experience and riding history for insurance...damn I wish I was rich!

Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate all the helpful input!
    Last edited by mimico_polak; 01-03-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Why are you stuck on State Farm? Go to the bike show this weekend, there will be several motorcycle insurance dealers who can give you quotes. SF is one of those companies, which charges insurance based on the bike engine displacement, which is ridiculous for beginner bikes, but good for super-sport class ones. Many other companies don't do this, that's why the insurance on 250cc and 500cc bikes from those companies is almost the same.

Indeed, scout around. I've now owned a 2010 Ninja 250R, a 2010 Ninja 650R, and currently the 2005 V-Strom DL650. State Farm wouldn't even insure me as I don't own a car (the agent I spoke with at least, claimed they only insure bikes if you also insure a car -- that's BS apparently, as other agents don't require this.)

I started off with TD/Primmum Insurance, which "quoted" me $1,600 for my 250R, but suddenly claimed the $1,600 was pro-rated (BULL!) when I got my renewal last year... for something like $2,200! I called a broker and got set-up on Jevco, with *better* coverage and lower deductables, and was paying $1,099 for the 250R. When I upgraded to the 650R, my rate went to $1,400... but with the V-Strom, it's dropping apparently to around $850 as of March when I renew. Age and type of bike will play a factor with Jevco, and apparently they charge something like a 400% premium if you insure a SS, so you'll really need to look around.

Sorry should've clarified why SF. Reason I'm 'stuck' with them is because I have a year policy so if I cancel they said I have to pay the remainder of the policy until the due date (Sept 2012). This is the reason for the SF only.
    I will definitely check out some brokers at the show on Friday, I didn't even know that they would be there so that's great.
    TekNinja - my car is with another insurance (Meloche) as when I tried to bundle SF was about 25-30% higher on that car! So they only insured the bike and nothing else.

If getting a 250 get the Kawi it is a much more powerful and highway capable machine.

That's interesting. I am with TD MM too (car/bike/house). The insurance on the bike with SF would have been lower than with MM, but insurance on my car would have been much higher (professional association discount with MM). Good luck with finding a bike! There will be tons of used bikes at the show too.

ViperZ...that's basically what the issue is. I have a professional association discount with MM and the car would be an additional 25-30% higher...so even with the bundle with bike and car I would've gone up a minimum of 10-15%...so I just separated the two.
    Steve...is there that much of a difference b/w the two? I understand the Kawi is better top end but the CBR has better mid-range power.

There is no midrange to speak of on a small bike like this you want to be reving it, the extra 5 hp the ninja has is a huge difference 20% and makes all the difference on the highway.

If you're willing to wait until spring/early summer, then go to Honda and Kawi demo days and ride both bikes - last year Kahuna had Kawi demo and Honda in Mississauga did Honda demo. This way you will know the differences first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    If you're willing to wait until spring/early summer, then go to Honda and Kawi demo days and ride both bikes - last year Kahuna had Kawi demo and Honda in Mississauga did Honda demo. This way you will know the differences first hand.
    Do you need to have your full M license to take part in demos?

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    I've been told full M-only by some places, M2 by others. I suppose it may depend on how willing they are to take the insurance/liability risk, but don't quote me on that. I know at Snow City, they require a full M. It's actually Kahuna I'd heard that only needed an M2, but this was not first-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    None of the places I went to required full M unless you were to ride a 1000cc super-sport. Ready Honda, Kahuna (Kawi) and Brampton Powersports (Suzuki) only asked for M2 license (and full riding gear of course).
    Some are hesitant to let M2 guys on 600cc SS. Most won't let you ride 1000cc SS if you don't have M. Ducati won't let you ride anything if you don't have M .

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    None of the places I went to required full M unless you were to ride a 1000cc super-sport. Ready Honda, Kahuna (Kawi) and Brampton Powersports (Suzuki) only asked for M2 license (and full riding gear of course).
    Some are hesitant to let M2 guys on 600cc SS. Most won't let you ride 1000cc SS if you don't have M. Ducati won't let you ride anything if you don't have M .
    That sounds about right, I went to the Ready Honda demo in Sauga fall 2010 I think it was and asked to ride the CBR 1000. The guy kinda had this look of concern and asked me what i was currently riding and what license I had. But only really asked when I mentioned my bike choice. Luckily, I had an M so I was good to go.......cool bike.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Get a ninja 250 im 510 165 pounds and ive hit 180