Winter Riding Down South

Thread: Winter Riding Down South

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Winter Riding Down South

Another question for everyone.

When is the soonest I'd be able to head down south? I've got March break coming up (in early March). Would there still be snow in Toronto? If not, is it safe enough to ride down or would I possibly hit snow in the States as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Another question for everyone.

When is the soonest I'd be able to head down south? I've got March break coming up (in early March). Would there still be snow in Toronto? If not, is it safe enough to ride down or would I possibly hit snow in the States as well?
    There has never been a March in History that hasn't had snow (just a matter of how much). There is most definately a chance of still hitting snow if you are riding to FL in the beginning of March, obviously less of a chance then the beginning of February, but still a good chance.

All you have to do is rent a minivan and put your bike inside of it. It will be a ***** to load it because you have little head room, but will fit. Also, depending on the weather, you can ride some really nice roads. Florida kinda sucks, you can have decent riding weather in Tennessee and North Carolina all winter long, as long as it is warm enough there. Best thing would be to see if you have a good weather forecast and leave on a short notice. Other places like Arkansas have good riding roads too. If you want to go to Florida, consider hitting up Jennings, it is a very easy track to ride because there are no blind corners, plus it has good runoff as well.

If Inferno is heading down and the time is right for you, he's great to deal with and it might be the best way to go. By the way, Ontario usually gets 1 big snow storm in March.
    Last edited by Metastable; 12-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    There has never been a March in History that hasn't had snow (just a matter of how much). There is most definately a chance of still hitting snow if you are riding to FL in the beginning of March, obviously less of a chance then the beginning of February, but still a good chance.

Thanks for the info. I honestly just can't remember how it's been in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    ABest thing would be to see if you have a good weather forecast and leave on a short notice.

I think that's exactly what I'll do. I'd rather ride down than have to rent a minivan or trailer; I'd like to keep it simple. If the weather isn't good I'll just have to wait until later.

No no - that's not what I meant. Between here and there you have to go past mountains and you never know what you are going to get. What I meant was check the weather forecast in the Tennessee/NC area to see when it is good down there, then trailer or get a minivan and go. There are some big advantages to not riding down. If you get bad weather, bike getting stolen, being able to carry "stuff". However, while you are riding the stuff could stay in your car.

I'd contact Inferno if I were you... and try that route too.
    Last edited by Metastable; 12-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.