Winter Riding Down South

Thread: Winter Riding Down South

Winter Riding Down South

So I don't think I'll survive without riding through the winter. Are there any companies that will truck your bike down to the southern US and drop you off, let you ride down, and truck it back with you in it? Or services that would somehow get my bike down there? Or am I better off just flying down and renting?

When I did the Florida Keys ride I just trailered down.
    Is this not an option?
    Barrie and area riders.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...d.php?t=123778

Amsoil Oil? PM me

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Re: Winter Riding Down South

Or you could just ride it down.
    1998 Honda VFR800 -Current
    1982 Honda VF750S -Sold

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    So I don't think I'll survive without riding through the winter. Are there any companies that will truck your bike down to the southern US and drop you off, let you ride down, and truck it back with you in it? Or services that would somehow get my bike down there? Or am I better off just flying down and renting?
    A Google search came up with this company: http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/s_Ontario.htm

Or, as suggested already, you could rent a U-Haul trailer and do it yourself.

Fly N Ride can be pricey, it all depends on where you want to go and what you want to rent. This article gives a bit of insight: http://www.openroadjourney.com/articles/113.asp
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

The only solution that would not completely kill the bank account would be to trailer it yourself. Paying someone to bring it down, wait down there with you while you ride, then bring it back for you, would probably cost more then just buying a bike in the area you want to go to.

Get a uhaul or a friend with a truck.

Do you have any dates in mind at all ? And location ?
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet132 View Post
    Or you could just ride it down.
    Not a good idea. One of my trips down I left AND returned in apocalyptic blizzards, though it was 60F and sunny when I got to Alabama. Fortunately I was driving the truck, with the bike in back, so I had great traction. It was kind of tough to explain to the locals why I had a literal 1/2" of salt encrusting my exhaust system though, after driving through West Virginia.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Read a blog of a guy that left TO in Feb on his Strom if I remember correctly and rode all the way to the keys. Pick up the GF at the airport and camped out for a week. She flew back, he got half way before having to park the bike because of weather. Cool story though. if the weather is right and you have heated gear it's doable.

That's how I felt last winter. Being on a budget, I opted to trailer down my bike. Florida is less that 1,800km from Toronto, which could be reached in a little more than a day of driving, sleep included.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...Sun-March-2011
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Always a nice read in the middle of winter. Just like most winters, wife and I are planning a trip to FL in the new year. Getting a trailer and taking the bike is oh so tempting. Heck I'd even ride the bike down if she'd follow me in the car, I just don't think she'd want to drive all the way down by herself.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I didn't even think to rent a trailer (being a city boy who hasn't ridden in North America for very long). That's probably what I'll do if I decide to go.

Picked up my bike from Las Vegas (rode it down last July) and now riding East
    I did not expect it to be like this in New Mexico
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I58vDhuqjE

Another question for everyone.

When is the soonest I'd be able to head down south? I've got March break coming up (in early March). Would there still be snow in Toronto? If not, is it safe enough to ride down or would I possibly hit snow in the States as well?

Another question for everyone.

When is the soonest I'd be able to head down south? I've got March break coming up (in early March). Would there still be snow in Toronto? If not, is it safe enough to ride down or would I possibly hit snow in the States as well?
    There has never been a March in History that hasn't had snow (just a matter of how much). There is most definately a chance of still hitting snow if you are riding to FL in the beginning of March, obviously less of a chance then the beginning of February, but still a good chance.

All you have to do is rent a minivan and put your bike inside of it. It will be a ***** to load it because you have little head room, but will fit. Also, depending on the weather, you can ride some really nice roads. Florida kinda sucks, you can have decent riding weather in Tennessee and North Carolina all winter long, as long as it is warm enough there. Best thing would be to see if you have a good weather forecast and leave on a short notice. Other places like Arkansas have good riding roads too. If you want to go to Florida, consider hitting up Jennings, it is a very easy track to ride because there are no blind corners, plus it has good runoff as well.

If Inferno is heading down and the time is right for you, he's great to deal with and it might be the best way to go. By the way, Ontario usually gets 1 big snow storm in March.
    Last edited by Metastable; 12-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTS View Post
    There has never been a March in History that hasn't had snow (just a matter of how much). There is most definately a chance of still hitting snow if you are riding to FL in the beginning of March, obviously less of a chance then the beginning of February, but still a good chance.

Thanks for the info. I honestly just can't remember how it's been in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    ABest thing would be to see if you have a good weather forecast and leave on a short notice.

I think that's exactly what I'll do. I'd rather ride down than have to rent a minivan or trailer; I'd like to keep it simple. If the weather isn't good I'll just have to wait until later.

No no - that's not what I meant. Between here and there you have to go past mountains and you never know what you are going to get. What I meant was check the weather forecast in the Tennessee/NC area to see when it is good down there, then trailer or get a minivan and go. There are some big advantages to not riding down. If you get bad weather, bike getting stolen, being able to carry "stuff". However, while you are riding the stuff could stay in your car.

I'd contact Inferno if I were you... and try that route too.
    Last edited by Metastable; 12-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.

I just finished deals gap and will call
    It quits for the 2011 riding season. Started riding from Vegas on xmass day. I left the bike in a storage for me to come back when i see a break in the winter in january or february. My next plan is to just get a US plated bike again, since US insurance + storage for a year is still cheaper than Ontario insurance
    '02 Silver Super Blackbird
    '06 Black Bandit 650 S
    '93 Red Bandit 400
    '89 Blue CB-1 400

Trailer rental is pretty cheap. I've recently rented a couple from U-Haul for work, less than $20 per day, so a week's adventure; $140, not too bad. I bet that's cheaper than shipping and airfare, and certainly cheaper than renting a truck. . . .

Enjoy the ride, wherever it takes you. . .

mgbmike

Charlie Mahoney told me many years ago that he rode to Daytona on his Indian 4 for years.I don't know if he was exagerating or not.I do know that he did it once for sure and hurt himslf very badly.he dropped the bike in some twisties in upper state NY.The exhaust and hot oil burnt his leg badly enough that he had trouble with it all his life up until he passed away back in 2005 i think.Tough guy! http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2008/0...chief-charlie/
    Charlie and I.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"