68 Triumph T100S.....

Thread: 68 Triumph T100S.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 68 Triumph T100S.....

I'm really enjoying this, a good read. If this bike is going to be a rider and not a concours show bike you might consider using modern plugs and connectors when rewiring rather than those dreadful bullet connectors. I did this twenty years ago on my bike and haven't had an electrical problem since. I'd also suggest soldering any wires feeding the Boyer rather than crimping as voltage drop will give strange symptoms and a sore ankle if it kicks back. I've just started working on a 1963 Matchless which has been sitting in boxes in my basement for years.

I hope to post pics of the wiring end of it. A 4 slot blade fuse box will be incorporated, and everything will be soldered/shrink tubed....I have 2 complete harnesses which Ill strip then start a new layout from scratch, incorporating the established color code for all the circuits. Under the tank I just run a small zip tie every inch and a half. Leave the wires uncovered. The '7I frame came with the alloy Lucas switchgear, inc turn sigs, so I have the correct l/r turn sig colors. Im of 2 minds about the bullet connectors....they are all (on both harnesses) in good shape.....if I reuse them at various junctures ill seal them...

No, its a "restoration" in quotes, with emphasis on reliability. The owner is actually an electrical engineer, and was right on board w/ relays, Podtronic, and Boyer. He wants to run LED turn sigs- bare bones, push the button every time- and that means it will be negative ground, to boot, so, no hangups on making it a working daily rider.

New swing arm bushes, new steering head bearings- roller upgrade- its got a king hell TLS front brake-the forks were in good shape, new seals is all...modern headlight bulb- all the sorta stuff you throw at a long neglected prize like this one........

I've been running my Boyer negative ground for quite a few years now with no problems.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

This thread is bringing back lots of memories. But it needs pics!!!
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

"Before" pics. Ctrstand bolt hole was ovaled....swing arm bush shot, clutch plates needed to be pried apart.....but it didnt smoke, clank, knock or rattle.
    Now it all apart......
    http://gaborsos.wordpress.com/2011/1...h-tiger-t100s/

Definitely has a "barn find" patina to it. Looks pretty much complete and original, though.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Well lets make this thread a bit more interesting - I'm the chap who owns the bike .....

This motorcycle will definitely not be a garage beauty queen or show bike as I intend to use it on a regular basis around Thronhill. Not a daily commute rider but lets say a weekly one. As Mutt described it in his post this is not a hard core restoration project in a sense that we upgrade certain things but definitely trying to keep the styling and general appearance as close to the original as possible.

While Mutt is having all the fun with the engine I fight with the MTO to get the bike VIN corrected and register a YOM plate that I just purchased for this bike.

Oh one more thing - this is a 69 bike not a 68.

G.
    Last edited by codemonk; 12-22-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Corrections