68 Triumph T100S.....

Thread: 68 Triumph T100S.....

• Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 68 Triumph T100S.....

Funny, I'm not much of an old bike buff but when I study that bike and put myself in the shoes of someone from the 70s I can't imagine what could be done differently to make a bike perform better. Well, other than disk brakes which they knew about at the time.

A cast aluminium frame? - Huh, what for? It's not like that spindly steel frame would be heavy.
    Liquid cooling? - Meh, with added cost and weight to counter the extra power, not a clear choice.
    Electronic engine management? - Hahaha yeah right.
    Adjustable suspension? - Say WHAT now!?!
    A starter motor? - Again, more apparent downside than upside.

So it's kinda interesting that things did eventually progress, but my guess (correct me if I'm wrong) is that these bikes represent a bit of a plateau in the development of motorcycles for a few years, maybe decades. They were the pinnacle of pragmatic technology at the time. Maybe? Dunno, that's just my reaction.

Looking at bikes today I don't see much room for innovation either, other than standardizing ABS and throttle-by-wire to enable proper cruise control.

Hybrids? - Nah, benefit would be marginal.
    Direct injection? - Is it really needed?
    Composite frames? - Seems like that woud be a bit overkill.
    Runflat tires? - Hmmm OK maybe.

But progress we will. In another 40 years like it or not bikes will be on a whole other level from where they are now.

Last edited by fastar1; 12-30-2011 at 03:37 AM.
    There is no planet B.