City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today - Page 22

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

Re: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

Thanks for keeping on this.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Michelle Berardinetti, Councillor for Ward 35, Southwest Scarborough, has e-mailed the following reply to one of her constituants, a long-time rider:

"My office is well-versed on the issue of the motorcycle and scooter parking. I will not support rescinding the existing bylaw for a multitude of reasons."

Great to see at least one Councillor put forward a commitment of support in writing! She is also the Councillor who is responsible for removing the bicycle lanes to nowhere on Birchmount & Pharmacy (which no one uses), and bringing them back to 4 lanes.

Big to Councillor Berardinetti! If you're in her ward, please send her a thank-you e-mail.
    When in doubt ... accelerate!

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    The first Public Works & Infrastructure Committee Meeting in April is on April 3rd. I just checked, and motorcycle parking fees is not on the the agenda. The next Committee meeting is April 18th. I'll keep watching and post here if anything comes up. Everybody who asked, should also get notification.

In the mean time, keep the pressure on your Councillors.
    Nothing on the April 18th agenda. May 16th is next, then June 14th, then nothing until September.
    When in doubt ... accelerate!

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Nothing on the April 18th agenda. May 16th is next, then June 14th, then nothing until September.
    That's good to hear! I'd consider this a temporary success!

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

They're spending a million upgrading the parking machines and using your cellphone to renew parking/pay isn't out of the question. Not a good sign for us, folks

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    They're spending a million upgrading the parking machines and using your cellphone to renew parking/pay isn't out of the question. Not a good sign for us, folks
    This 'update' just includes adjusting the coin mechanism to recognize the now lighter Loonies and Twoonies. Imagine how much it would cost to do what you said.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by knowledge View Post
    So you're saying they would mandate that you have a cell phone to park in the ****** of Toronto? The evil overlords at Rogers/Bell would be pleased to hear such a scenario come to life.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    This 'update' just includes adjusting the coin mechanism to recognize the now lighter Loonies and Twoonies. Imagine how much it would cost to do what you said.
    Thats supposedly all they are changing about the meters. In order to make them coordinate with cell phones it would require new machines not just upgrades. City is bitching apparently about having to spend this money so they will not do the cell phone upgrade for a long time. Plus not just bikers will ***** about that one.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Thats supposedly all they are changing about the meters. In order to make them coordinate with cell phones it would require new machines not just upgrades. City is bitching apparently about having to spend this money so they will not do the cell phone upgrade for a long time. Plus not just bikers will ***** about that one.
    Drivers will still have the option to use coins/credit card and place ticket inside their car ​even without having a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Drivers will still have the option to use coins/credit card and place ticket inside their car ​even without having a cell phone.

But it will still be an expensive change to the system which they hate spending money like that.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I really hope that's true, but it's very likely that they're gonna spend more than that. The whole system is long overdue for a rehaul, and they've been putting it off for too long. They can't hold out for much longer. You should see some of the machines/programming/systems that they still use...it's so obsolete. You would also lol if you met the head technician. And don't even get me started on how inefficiently it's being run.

tl;dr = they're lying about the cost of the upgrade or they're gonna follow through & spend more so people don't call them out on lying about the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    So you're saying they would mandate that you have a cell phone to park in the ****** of Toronto? The evil overlords at Rogers/Bell would be pleased to hear such a scenario come to life.
    Like he said, I doubt they could force you to have a cellphone...but it would actually make sense. I read that we actually have one of the highest cell phones per capita rates (think of everyone that you know...each family member has their own cellphone). You'd be a minority to not have a cellphone in this day & age. + more & more phones have that smartpay thing now - the hardware's already in place.