City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today - Page 21

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

Re: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    They don't seem to get that, which is why the concept of road tolls constantly comes up.
    If the provincial government isn't going to give T.O. its fair share of tax revenue back the city has to look towards other means to get money. And before you suggest it I am all for a property tax increase. If the province won't kick in to the tax base they have been using to subsidize other areas of the province then road tolls will be the only way to get Toronto back on track.

Toronto should have kept the plate sticker fee. It was obvious that scrapping that was a lame ploy to buy votes and convince everyone in the 905 that there was lots of money wasted in City Hall (which there isn't) and now here we are nickle and diming motorcycle parking fees and wasting many hours of time on something so simple. That is the real waste at city hall.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    If the provincial government isn't going to give T.O. its fair share of tax revenue back the city has to look towards other means to get money. And before you suggest it I am all for a property tax increase. If the province won't kick in to the tax base they have been using to subsidize other areas of the province then road tolls will be the only way to get Toronto back on track.

Toronto should have kept the plate sticker fee. It was obvious that scrapping that was a lame ploy to buy votes and convince everyone in the 905 that there was lots of money wasted in City Hall (which there isn't) and now here we are nickle and diming motorcycle parking fees and wasting many hours of time on something so simple. That is the real waste at city hall.
    I still say that a realistic mill rate would correct a lot of the issues.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I still say that a realistic mill rate would correct a lot of the issues.
    I agree it would help but only if Toronto is given its share of the tax it generates for the province. That should have been Ford's priority number 1 not cutting current existing revenue streams.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I agree it would help but only if Toronto is given its share of the tax it generates for the province. That should have been Ford's priority number 1 not cutting current existing revenue streams.
    I damned near choked I was laughing so hard when he cut the driver's license fee, then declared that he had "cut out the gravy." For a guy who has a lot of money, he really doesn't have a good handle on which direction it's going.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    So email Sandra and we will get our 5 min to speak? I am willing to go with people to a meeting to fight for our side if need be.

Just an fyi, it may end up being only 3 minutes to speak depending on how many speakers show. Also, be prep'd to get asked dumb *** questions by some of the councillors. Seen them try to belittle people too. Very proffesional people you know
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

I damned near choked I was laughing so hard when he cut the driver's license fee, then declared that he had "cut out the gravy." For a guy who has a lot of money, he really doesn't have a good handle on which direction it's going.
    For a guy who runs a business he sure doesn't know how to work with others. He must not have board members in his company or share holders.

Anyway back on topic. More gravy will be spilt as they wast time debating the tiny issues of the city (like stripping bikes of free parking)

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Just an fyi, it may end up being only 3 minutes to speak depending on how many speakers show. Also, be prep'd to get asked dumb *** questions by some of the councillors. Seen them try to belittle people too. Very proffesional people you know
    Thanks girly!

BTW got the same automated response from Sandra. Waiting for Candy to respond.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

I was thinking of buying a MC this summer to commute to DT for work, but if we can't park for free in DT than no point of buying the bike just for pleasure riding because of high insurance.

now I know I should read the full thread, but if anyone has gone through the full thread.
    what is the outcome of this situation.
    To Achive The Possible, We Must Attempt The Impossible.
    -----------
    02 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by hindustani420 View Post
    I was thinking of buying a MC this summer to commute to DT for work, but if we can't park for free in DT than no point of buying the bike just for pleasure riding because of high insurance.

now I know I should read the full thread, but if anyone has gone through the full thread.
    what is the outcome of this situation.
    No outcome, as of yet. That's why people are trying to get people to contact their councilors.

Thanks Rob. I will do my part contacting my Councilors.

Thank you,
    To Achive The Possible, We Must Attempt The Impossible.
    -----------
    02 Suzuki GSX-R600 - Sold

Spoke to my Counsilors assistant today and he said he would speak to him and get back to me. He also stated that he does not see this topic going anywhere as there is no way for it to be really implimented with out spending a lot of money to put in a system like Montreals. I'll post the response when I get it.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Spoke to my Counsilors assistant today and he said he would speak to him and get back to me. He also stated that he does not see this topic going anywhere as there is no way for it to be really implimented with out spending a lot of money to put in a system like Montreals. I'll post the response when I get it.
    The fact that there now seems to be (as John Moore of NewsTalk1010 put it yesterday) a 'shadow government' actually running City Hall, rather than the dictates of Ford's immediate cronies holding sway, bodes well for this being kicked rather than passed. Contacting your councilors is key.

Thank you girly!

The fact that there now seems to be (as John Moore of NewsTalk1010 put it yesterday) a 'shadow government' actually running City Hall, rather than the dictates of Ford's immediate cronies holding sway, bodes well for this being kicked rather than passed. Contacting your councilors is key.
    I've contacted councilors and Rob Ford. I keep getting an automated response or links to empty agendas.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Let me find you a number to your counsilors assistant. You'd think email would be the better way with these guys.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Looks like this is such a relatively minor issue that no one in city hall is bothering with it now. I say we have at least another season of free parking.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Not worth taking the chance.

Unless someone who really gonna get money out of that and has any personal relation with someone from councilors - and he/she/it started lobby for it.
    just a thought...

Very true, almost everything done has some sort of hidden adgenda or benifit to relatives of some sort...
    Quote Originally Posted by slogan View Post
    Unless someone who really gonna get money out of that and has any personal relation with someone from councilors - and he/she/it started lobby for it.
    just a thought...
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

This is pretty much what I expected. Toronto doesn't have the infastructure in place to handle this kind of thing at the moment. They need to think bigger picture and will probably have to squeeze this in when they implement a larger project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Update – Last minute release of staff recommendations, No meaningful public consultation!

The staff person assigned as lead on this report is Sandra Burk, Transportation Services Supervisor. I e-mailed her today to follow up on the status of their report. She e-mailed back the following:

“Hi,

The report on motorcycle parking is not yet ready. It will not go forward to Committee/Council until April at the earliest, or possibly May/June. I will let you know when it is on the agenda.

Regards,
    Sandra”
    The first Public Works & Infrastructure Committee Meeting in April is on April 3rd. I just checked, and motorcycle parking fees is not on the the agenda. The next Committee meeting is April 18th. I'll keep watching and post here if anything comes up. Everybody who asked, should also get notification.

In the mean time, keep the pressure on your Councillors.
    When in doubt ... accelerate!