City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today - Page 11

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

Quote Originally Posted by icecube172 View Post
    letter sent to councillor Chin Lee in my ward.
    Please also email the city clerk at clerk@toronto.ca !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Paul, should you reply to his last message I would also add that the solutions to the issue of lost parking vouchers would likely cost more than the revenue obtained through them, making it a pointless and counter-productive enterprise.
    Exactly and then if the city wants to do that cellphone thing, they are discriminating against riders who do not own cell phones.

If I find my councilor votes for this, I am going to be asking him the reasoning behind it.

Re: City council voting on getting rid of free parking for motorcycles today

If it passes then a mass protest should be organized. Get a big group to park downtown and wait for the tickets. Then everyone goes in to contest and say the parking vouchers were lost. Bet the city would love the cost and headaches that would create.
    2004 R1150RTP
    1998 Ducati 944

Just read your post Rob.
    I guess we tried . :-/

Re: We might lose free parking in Toronto

It means that the motion originally read:

"City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report to the February, 2012 meeting of City Council, through the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee on options for the implementation and enforcement of parking charges and fees regarding motorcycles and motor scooters to harmonize them with parking for other motorized vehicles."

They just removed that last bit, otherwise people could argue that using a different method of recording payment failed to "harmonize" them. Ploitics.

This is the important part, that pretty much says it's a done deal:

"City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report to the February, 2012 meeting of City Council, through the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee on options for the implementation and enforcement of parking charges and fees regarding motorcycles and motor scooters."
    It'll be interesting to see what kind of options are presented. Like I said before, trying to implement something to enforce this may actually end up costing the city money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what kind of options are presented. Like I said before, trying to implement something to enforce this may actually end up costing the city money.
    They'd collect back a few million in just one season tho...

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    They'd collect back a few million in just one season tho...
    How do you figure? It depends on what they implement, I'd say. Whatever changes they make to the system to allow motorcycles and scooters to register payment would have to be system wide, and that kinda stuff isn't cheap.

I'm not sure if they're considering some kind of sliding scale payment scheme for this either.
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

It means that the motion originally read:

"City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report to the February, 2012 meeting of City Council, through the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee on options for the implementation and enforcement of parking charges and fees regarding motorcycles and motor scooters to harmonize them with parking for other motorized vehicles."

They just removed that last bit, otherwise people could argue that using a different method of recording payment failed to "harmonize" them. Ploitics.

This is the important part, that pretty much says it's a done deal:

"City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services to report to the February, 2012 meeting of City Council, through the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee on options for the implementation and enforcement of parking charges and fees regarding motorcycles and motor scooters."
    Here's the link to the Council website with the specifics of this issue. Click on it to see how your Councillor voted.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgen...m=2011.MM14.19

I'm very disappointed that they didn't give any more time for consultation, but I read the removal of "to harmonize them with parking for other motorized vehicles" by Councillor De Baeremaeker as an attempt to not pre-suppose staffs' conclusions. There's no question that we are facing an uphill battle, but it aint over till it's over.

If the recommendations are followed, this will be at the Public Works & Infrastructure Committee on January 4, 2012 starting at 9:30 in Committee Room 1 on the 2nd floor of City Hall. If you are able to attend and wish to speak to this, contact the Committee Secretariat at the following and tell her you wish to be a deputation to this item. Tell her that you want to be on the notification list, that way you should get the staff report when it comes out, the decision, or any notice to defer the matter. You can also send e-mails or snale mail to get your views on record, but being there in person is better if you can. Councillors actually do respond to a room full of voters!

Candy Davidovits
    10th floor, West Tower, City Hall
    100 Queen Street West
    Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

email: pwic@toronto.ca
    phone: 416-392-8032
    fax: 416-392-1879

I'm going to see if I can set up a meeting with the Transportation Services staff who will be reporting on this. It would be good if a few more people could come along to represent different perspectives, i.e. legal issue with regard to enforcement, someone from the industry who may be able to speak to the economic benefits of the current free parking, etc. Please PM me if you are interested.

Please keep those e-mails to your Councillors coming, especially Councillors Mark Grimes, Mike Layton, Denzil Minnan-Wong, John Parker, Gord Perks & David Shiner who sit on the Public Works & Infrastructure Committe. You can get their contact info at the following link:

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

In the mean time, I'll poke around and see if I can find out what's behind this. It always helps to know the inside agenda.
    Last edited by Face; 12-01-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    When in doubt ... accelerate!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
    How do you figure? It depends on what they implement, I'd say. Whatever changes they make to the system to allow motorcycles and scooters to register payment would have to be system wide, and that kinda stuff isn't cheap.

I'm not sure if they're considering some kind of sliding scale payment scheme for this either.
    I wasn't talking about the revenue.

Revenue tho, will most likely come in the equation in a number of years, if it is a sophisticated implementation.

My bet is that they will go with monthly stickers or something.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    I wasn't talking about the revenue.

Revenue tho, will most likely come in the equation in a number of years, if it is a sophisticated implementation.

My bet is that they will go with monthly stickers or something.
    True. Depending on how complicated they go they may be in the hole the first year or two on this implementation. It's definitely a long term source of income.

Some kind of monthly or weekly sticker system wouldn't be bad. I'm not sure how they would deal with the hourly parkers, though.

Well...I guess this would be one way to justify a revamping of the entire system.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Just read your post Rob.
    I guess we tried . :-/
    Don't give up yet. It wouldn't be the first time that a rational argument, backed by irrational pressure from voters, changed a decision
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard
    Then my job here is done

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Then my job here is done
    talkin about getting rid of parking dwntwn
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    talkin about getting rid of parking dwntwn
    Damn. Guess I have to keep working on it then.

I would love to know the recommendations to enforce this that will be presented, I am not big in protesting but (specially in January) but I think a bunch of us need to show up at this meeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    I would love to know the recommendations to enforce this that will be presented, I am not big in protesting but (specially in January) but I think a bunch of us need to show up at this meeting.
    I'm totally in for showing up at the meet, perhaps admin should start a Sticky with this meeting and motion in the title to start putting names down and a countdown.
    Veej....
    your birth certificate is an official apology from Trojan
    www.enVogueiMages.com

Got a response from Councillor Wong-Tam:
    Thank you for your email on street parking for motorcycles and scooters.

I have seconded a motion with Councillor Mike Del Grande to request a staff report with respect to parking charges. This report will be presented to the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee in February, 2012.

I am advocating for the creation of dedicated motorcycle and scooter parking to ensure the availability of parking for all motorized vehicles on our city streets, as well as to help reduce the frequency of moving vehicles being driven into pedestrian zones for parking.

There will be no changes to present parking rules until any future report has been written, explored, then voted upon. My hope is that any new rules to be proposed will be inclusive, comprehensive, and account for the historic issues Toronto has faced with past by-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    Between Ford and Jerry Agar it seems this city is destined to become the desolate wasteland that many American cities are rather than the active live world class city like we see over seas.

I can't get over the fact that they are complaining about vehicles being treated different based on size. It happens already and is the norm. Transports are restricted on speed and lane options because of size.

Rob Ford will take us backwards. Making motorcycle transportation less attractive will only increase single occupant car commuters and gridlock. Yeehaw.
    Why are you blaming Ford, he didn't propose this motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Veej View Post
    I'm totally in for showing up at the meet, perhaps admin should start a Sticky with this meeting and motion in the title to start putting names down and a countdown.
    I'd be interested in showing up as well. Is there a motorcycle/scooter lobby for Toronto one can join?