Specific Details on M1x Test

Thread: Specific Details on M1x Test

Specific Details on M1x Test

I'd been riding for three years in Korea before coming back to Canada. I got my M1 in late August and now it's late November so I'm ready to do the M1x test.

I'm not going to bother with taking the basic training + test because I've already got my basic skills down. (Going to spend the money on an advanced riding course in the spring instead.)

However, I can't find any specific details on what the test entails. Is it all low-speed in a parking lot around pylons or street riding or both? Is there a test track layout that I could download a PDF of? Or is there a guide that I can look at somewhere?

Much thanks for the info!

Re: Specific Details on M1x Test

I believe there is a sticky somewhere that goes over exactly what it entails. It's all parking lot stuff, no street riding. If I recall correctly there's about 8 different trials.. taking a corner, slow speed stuff, an emergency stop, swerving etc.

Good luck!

Its mostly parking lot stuff, there is a short road test, Mine was to turn left at a set of lights 3 times in different directions to show lane position
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Thanks for the info. I'll just show up and see how it goes then, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Its mostly parking lot stuff, there is a short road test, Mine was to turn left at a set of lights 3 times in different directions to show lane position
    Are you thinking M2x??? M1x you are in a parking lot...

So the test componets are
    Acellerating on a curve
    Stopping on a curve
    Apexing
    Emergency stop
    Emergency Swerve

Thats pretty much it. Btw you are tested on those exercises by going the right speed (there will be cones you are timed between) and not hiting the line. Drop the bike and automatic fail. Stall the bike and you get more and more points. Its accumulative. 1 stall is 1 point 2 stalls is 3 etc etc.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

M1x from at a ministry/drivetest center is outlined in the motorcycle handbook. It's a pretty short test. You will need to push your bike through a slalom and then ride it without stopping around a slalom as well as couple of other maneuvers. Then you will move out to a public road and the tester will tell you what to do. It will be a pretty short road test as the tester stands on the corner and you make a couple of passes through the intersection.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

It looks like I'll have to wait until the Spring anyway; none of the testing centers are doing motorcycles now (and haven't been since October, apparently).

(Not too concerned, I've already bent a few of the M1 restrictions. Unintentionally, of course. I'm just worried about having to wait an extra four months for my M2x and losing out on potential insurance discounts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Are you thinking M2x??? M1x you are in a parking lot...
    No, The M1x test from the ministry is exactly as described below.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    M1x from at a ministry/drivetest center is outlined in the motorcycle handbook. It's a pretty short test. You will need to push your bike through a slalom and then ride it without stopping around a slalom as well as couple of other maneuvers. Then you will move out to a public road and the tester will tell you what to do. It will be a pretty short road test as the tester stands on the corner and you make a couple of passes through the intersection.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    It looks like I'll have to wait until the Spring anyway; none of the testing centers are doing motorcycles now (and haven't been since October, apparently).

(Not too concerned, I've already bent a few of the M1 restrictions. Unintentionally, of course. I'm just worried about having to wait an extra four months for my M2x and losing out on potential insurance discounts.)
    Make sure your M1 doesn't expire over the winter or you will have to redo the written test again.
    I believe you can book your test now for next year and get an extension on your M1 till then.
    2001 CBR F4i