Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

Re: Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    WRONG!! Read the write up on the current generation ninja 250. They outline what they have done to the carbureator.
    ...and what was that? I checked a few reviews and they don't say anything, except that low-end torque is better.

I bet it still has slides, needles, jets, and relies on air pressure and vacuums to mix fuel and air at imperfect ratios

I think effective, powerful computers and sensors have helped bring FI to bikes. An old acquaintance had a GPz1100R (with early, primitive fuel injection) and apparently the driveability was terrible. A lot of the ones I see for sale have had carb conversions done.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    That makes sense.

I often find it surprising when people talk about some "new" technology (like FI) and don't realize its been around since before the dawn of time (by which I mean television )..
    I don't remember ever saying that FI was a new technology, maybe you can quote where I said that, and if I gave you that perception then I stand corrected on thinking people can understand a simple post
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

WRONG!! Read the write up on the current generation ninja 250. They outline what they have done to the carbureator.
    took a look at the internals, read about it and it seems to be the same old thangg... Can you offer a link to your source, we all want to be amazed

I have an 09 Ninja 250 and after shimming it, its a completely different bike. I start up no problem every time and only choke it at 2.5-3k rpm for about 5-10 seconds even in sub-zero temperatures. Before I literally could not ride off without choking it at 5k rpm for at least 45 seconds to a minute, even then it would be hesitant riding off especially if it was colder.

After shimming I really see no problems with carbs for everyday practicality especially on a non performance bike. I just wonder why they don't set them up proper from the start...
    Last edited by LoneRonin; 11-30-2011 at 10:40 PM.

It's no wonder you can't remember, you post like this guy.
    At some peoples posts all you can do.
    Where's this write up on the new state-of-the-art 250R carbs? I'd really like to know what cutting edge technology Kawi put into those carbs.

Is there a difference between the "new" Keihin CVK30 carbs on the 2008+ 250 and the "old" Keihin CVK30 carbs on the 1988-2007 250?
    Last edited by caboose483; 12-01-2011 at 07:00 AM.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/

"Driving is a privilege - not a right"

Closing this thread? If anything this thread should become a sticky.

Not everyone who rides a motorcyle is out to pose at timmies. Some use their motorcycle for transportation in all weather conditions. If riding a motorcycle in the winter is troublesome for some, then call your mp and tell them to pass a law like Germany did, mandating snow tires on motorcycles. If a law exists and a motorcycle is caught on the road without snow tires they can face a fine. At the moment no such law exist.

What does exist is harassment. If you don't agree with something, lobby the mp's to get a law enacted to what you think should be.

Good lord it's going to be a long winter...
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
    Man, that's like two bucks worth of 50 cent words. I guess that Readers Digest subscription really paid off.
    '92 gixxer 750 - Jupiter

I can't stop laughing. For the love of god, someone please kill a kitten.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    So it's ok for hooligan riders and drivers to endanger the lives of impaired drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodish View Post
    Unfortunately, since we seldom put people in jail for traffic offences

I implore the OP to use his 'right' (or was that 'licence') this winter and keep riding!

And for someone else to record his low-sides, crashes and accidents on Youtube for us to enjoy. I bet there would be some America's Funniest Home Video, Bob Saget Voice-over quality stuff right there.

Quote Originally Posted by FullMotoJacket View Post
    I can't stop laughing.
    I have a feeling he's laughing pretty hard himself.

I'm willing to drop $20 to help pay for a Go-Pro to attach to ItIsWhatItIs's helmet during winter, with the condition that he rides every single day, and uploads the videos with a Rodney-style running commentary

Agreed, I hate to say it but it's not you that you need to worry about but others. Actually maybe you do need to worry about yourself snow is scary...

Closing this thread? If anything this thread should become a sticky.

Not everyone who rides a motorcyle is out to pose at timmies. Some use their motorcycle for transportation in all weather conditions. If riding a motorcycle in the winter is troublesome for some, then call your mp and tell them to pass a law like Germany did, mandating snow tires on motorcycles. If a law exists and a motorcycle is caught on the road without snow tires they can face a fine. At the moment no such law exist.

What does exist is harassment. If you don't agree with something, lobby the mp's to get a law enacted to what you think should be.
    WHy do you continue to jump around questions, you mentioned that there were some advancements on the carb of the 250r, can you provide the facts to your arguments so you can stop been the village clown and people can start respecting your post...a little

So Coles notes for this thread... OP saw something in a movie so he's convinced it's something he/everyone should do - but he/everyone isn't doing it - but he/everyone should be?
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

I love when I can rely on my personal experience and not opinions in left field. If you are concerned about your braking, don't tailgate, drive slower, and don't speed up when someone goes to pass. That's just being rude.
    Hey "ItIsWhatItIs" don't bother with this forum, in terms of trying to talk about something new and different. Like most car forums and bike forums, there is always that hand full of people who think they own the forum, and talk trash to new people or people who have a different opinion, simply because they cannot handle someone else being better or getting more attention then them or knowing something they don't, since they have been on that forum for such a long time.

listening to "caboose483" just by the way he talks, you'll see a sign of arrogance, so are a few that always seem to back him up, they will be productive as long as its their thread or something they like, then talk nonsense the other half of the time, and come back with useless talk that will lead the conversation to hell most certainly.I think, they don't realise but they base all their conversation based on SS track experience.

But credit to "soto" the only one who "eventually posts in these types of posts to get them on point again" & actually takes the time to understand what the F the op is on about and comes back with very ligitimate opinions or discussion...credit is due where its due! he is a smart person from what little replies i've seen of his.

imo guys like caboose might be good at what they claim, but i don't think they even own any other bike other then a SS, SS bikes are "to me" only for hot summer weather & "limited experience" they are talking from the point of a corvette to something like what you are talking about, a small cc dual sport bike which in terms of abilities is like a small Suv vs sports car,"& i concure a 125 like the one you states WILL stop faster then any car, heck so does my 250 even in wet"... they will never understand what you are trying to say, because they are basing their opinion not on physics but on summer SS bikes. They don't even understand that with different bikes, the physics change, depending on what purpose the bike was built to overcome "phyzically", no sane person rides a SS all year round, most people who do ride have winter purose bikes like dualies & other off road style bikes, & are not idiots to ride in stormy weather nor in bad icy conditions, as a biker in summer is concerned with good weather, winter riders are even more cautious about the weather in winter.

In winter riding becomes more to do with small distance transportation then going out and riding around for pleasure like in summer, offcourse riding a 250 or 125 in fresh snow in a parking lot is fun too. There are many kinds of bikers, there are those who just buy brand new bikes to pose at timmies, then those who buy it for adrenalin and track use, stunting etc, and then there are those who just love riding so much that they would do anything to ride all year and any type of riding as mentioned, as long as they are riding, be it for fun or to save money or to get somewhere.

As for bike VS car in stopping, anyone claiming phyzics saying a car stops faster then a bike is a complete MORON! first of all its not that basic or easy to claim, no one mentioned in what condition, what situation and what size of bike and what type of surface.

Obviously if a SS bike is ripping down the street at 160kmh or 200kmh its going to take longer then a car to stop! but it will stop faster with more G forces then a car on normal dry roads in summer, as on an average a car is not going to be traveling that fast anywhere on the roads nor has the stopping ability to do so.

On the otherhand try stopping a SS 600cc from 260kmh to 0kmh vs an average car with the same speed on the hwy, the bike will destroy the average car in such performance. But in winter most people drive ride slow, obviously going that fast in winter is moronic, but even then slower @ 70kmh or less an average car vs a bike @ the same speed bike will stop faster even in wet "if you know how to and practice alot", if cars stopped faster then bikes, no biker would be able to out run cops buy doing a double back.

If a car was going fast it would crash too regardless - icy, wet or snowy conditions, if for any reason it lost control on such surfaces. Also, it's not that simple, at high speeds over 120kmh, SS bikes stop faster then any other type of bike, because of downforce, there is a reason why SS bikes have an up swing tail & other fairing work, and so many newer bikes have a wider flatter tail, its to increase down force, so at higher speeds to increase stopping performance downforce bodyworks helps the bike stop faster, which increases the weight of the bike the faster it is moving from a 400lbs bike to 1000lbs, a normal car has no such feature, only sports cars have that, if at all or F1 cars.
    Last edited by ETR; 12-05-2011 at 06:03 AM.

For winter riding it's all about slow and safe riding on lower cc bikes if possible, a 250 supermoto with the right tires/spike tires/training wheels and safety precautions, will be a very fast form of city travel. At the end of the day, all the talk about how dangerous it is to ride in winter, yet still more people die and crash in the summer.

This kind of stuff, is induvidual based/preferance, all depends how good the driver or rider is, how prepared and how much willing to take risks. No one will ever agree 100% on anthing, specially these days. But the fact is, its possible to ride safely in winter if you know wtf you're doing. The amount of crashes that happen in winter in cars, i can't belive people are concerned about the ratio of people that might crash on a bike in winter.lol

I only ride now in winter for fun when its good out, simply because i hate the cold, i don't like winter and i've got a car that i never use, i only use it from december to first week of march/ 3 months, and its becoming a waste of money, so i use it more now, i have dirt bike, dual sport, supermoto and SS bikes i use them all for what they were built for ranginge from 1000cc to all the way down to 250cc.

The truth is, if we consider there are so many bad drivers out there, then "logic" would state, then there are definately "some" exceptional riders & drivers out there, that are beyond better then average to balance out the bad drivers. That is a law of phyzics, if you really want to jump on the phyzics wagon that is, which if you truely study is a form of limitations, people who think and do things having the concept that this or that is not possible "is phyzically limited", usually attain that result, those who have the mental position that anything is possible, eventually discover a new height in "phyzicality". None of the pioneers of great inventions or technology even gave a S.hit about phyzics, like the wright brothers who invented flight, everyone told them its impossible, and that they are stupid, crazy, and guys like "caboose" talking BS to them, not knowing the same guys you are telling all this to are the same people who make life more comfortable and better for you, these are the same guys who invented the plane for you, and the same engineers who invented the motorcycle you ride, while eveyone talked down on them.

What you know now and think is impossible, will be a joke in the future, when someone proves it wrong, thats how the world works, thats how science and technology has proven to work, so for someone to say that a bike can't stop faster then a car, needs to go back to the 15th century. I'd hate to see what would happen if someone said they know how anti gravity works on here.lol

Also on an ice patch a car will go out of control much worse then a bike, a bike will simply slide and so will the rider and it's not even that bad you just slide and thats it, summer road rash is much much worse, but a car will most likely go in a ditch and cause the driver some serious injuries going out of control on icy or snowy surface and is uncontrolable once it does, simply because of its weight "personally i rather fall on black ice, laugh and just enjoy the slide on a bike, then be in a death cage out of control just waiting to see where i go and not be able to escape, also a car driver is more likely to drive much faster then a biker in winter simply because they can for example on hwys in speeds over 100kmh, no sane biker does that in winter. Most just use the bike as city transportation under 80kms.

And dual sport bikes 250cc and under are ideal for all year and winter, because if you are experienced, you know you are not going to ride 100kmh plus in winter, the point of winter riding is, that you can still safely ride in winter if you have the right bike, tires - equipment and brain to do so, which is true, i've seen "girls" with scooters on campus riding from their residence to classes with snow all over the place, it's all about getting used to and having enough experience to be confident in a certain situation and a brain to go along with it, i used to winter ride, i never went on roads faster than 80kmh, had winter dual sport tires in the back with spikes and slide bars/training wheels, like that on cycles, i never crashed once, because i was smart about it, and i did hit black ice once or swice, but it was not difficult to manage because unlike an idiot i would only need to go so fast.

So if the guys who ride in winter, are stupid, crazy or dumb, because its dangerous, then you must remember that you also ride a bike, which alone seems dumb, dangerous and stupid to most of the population that dosent even ride motorcycles, yet your experience is superior to the average car driver because you ride motorcycles as well, the same way the people who ride in winter pushing the limits are much more experienced then just seasonal summer riders...at the end of the day, what one accepts as maximum risk their willing to take is what one gets to experience as possible, and those whose passion is greater then risks, get to experience a new dimention of "phyzicality", just like a cager would when he/she first rides a motorcycle in his/her life and then realises there is always more to know then the current phyzics they were accustomed too.
    Last edited by ETR; 12-05-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Since this seems to have turned the corner to being nothing but an insult fest, it's done.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde