Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

Just watched a movie: unknown with Liam neeson. There is a scene of motorcyles being riden while snow was on the ground and the roads had patches of ice. Try doing that in Ontario and I guarantee there will be some comments coming your way. With the right clothing riding in double digit minuses is possible. With the right motorcycle you can say goodbye to four wheels. By the looks of the bikes they were probably BMWs.

Re: Winter Riding Motorcycle harassment

it's a movie. in real life what do you think is gonna happen when you brake over ice?

I know several people that will ride year round as long as the roads are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyRider View Post
    it's a movie. in real life what do you think is gonna happen when you brake over ice?
    There a alot of movies, especially the world war movies with motorcyles being riden through snow and winter conditions. Most bikes will out brake a car any day of the week in snow and ice conditions perhaps you will be even. It's all in how you ride. Extra care at intersections when making lefts.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I know several people that will ride year round as long as the roads are dry.
    The new frontier are going to be riders who go to the next step of riding through snow and freezing rain. That day is coming.

The sad fact with insurance in Ontario there is token discounts to insuring multiple types of vehicles. Owning a car and a bike you are paying in full on both. With the way the gas prices and consumption to a motorcycle, maintenance costs, and the insurance cost of a car there is huge savings on the table. If I got rid of the car all together, that would be $1900 dollars in savings (extra Gas consumption over my bike, insurance costs, plates and drive clean). Sadly, auto insurance and carrying costs will only continue to be pushed up by the greedy. For the well to do who are keeping pace with the average Canadian wage of 872 a week, do the math, at least 3 weeks of take home pay.

Money better in my pocket. Also if you are not keeping pace with the average Canadian wage you can't save what you don't make. Wages are being repressed and costs are being escalated. You have do what has to be done in this current economy.

Many years ago, not having a cage, I rode all winter. One day I almost ran over a pedestrian when the guy stepped off the curb in front of me. There was so much snow that cars weren't moving and he thought he had the world to himself.
    I got the "You must be crazy" from the people at work. Then I would pass them on the bike as they waited shivering for a bus and I was thinking "They must be crazy". The bike was a 125cc Yammy and looked like crap at the end of the year. I wouldn't try it with a heavy bike or a decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    There a alot of movies, especially the world war movies with motorcyles being riden through snow and winter conditions. Most bikes will out brake a car any day of the week in snow and ice conditions perhaps you will be even. It's all in how you ride. Extra care at intersections when making lefts.

The new frontier are going to be riders who go to the next step of riding through snow and freezing rain. That day is coming.

The sad fact with insurance in Ontario there is token discounts to insuring multiple types of vehicles. Owning a car and a bike you are paying in full on both. With the way the gas prices and consumption to a motorcycle, maintenance costs, and the insurance cost of a car there is huge savings on the table. If I got rid of the car all together, that would be $1900 dollars in savings (extra Gas consumption over my bike, insurance costs, plates and drive clean). Sadly, auto insurance and carrying costs will only continue to be pushed up by the greedy. For the well to do who are keeping pace with the average Canadian wage of 872 a week, do the math, at least 3 weeks of take home pay.

Money better in my pocket. Also if you are not keeping pace with the average Canadian wage you can't save what you don't make. Wages are being repressed and costs are being escalated. You have do what has to be done in this current economy.
    If all the costs were fully weighted a very small car will financially outperform a bike any day. A few people might be able to play the system due to lifestyle arrangements but it's hard to beat the efficiency of a cage based on 24/365 usage.

Most bikes will out brake a car any day of the week in snow and ice conditions perhaps you will be even.
    LOL, go ahead try it out this winter braking on ice and let us know the outcome. this video will give you an idea though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et12ARJt_CY

i an not discouraging you from riding on snow and ice though. so please go ride through this winter. local bike mechanics won't mind extra income this winter.
    Last edited by SkyRider; 11-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.

If the convenience/utility/safety of a car is worth less than 2K for you then for sure sell it.

A small light dual sport is easiest to manage in the slush and easiest/cheapest to manage when it gets dropped.

Just remember that there is a MUCH higher chance in winter of a car sliding/not stopping on time and taking you out. Many drivers are already pretty incompetent - winter conditions make them even worse.

Btw my av is me riding through slush last winter at -10. It's fun if there is no traffic, but I wouldn't commute in those conditions.

BS.

First off cars are generally better than bikes on the brakes. Look up some stats, you may be surprised that most boring 4-door sedans can out-brake a modern sport bike. Some bikes would be somewhat ok to ride in the winter, others are very ill suited to winter riding.

Secondly, if you genuinely wanted to save money you'd be driving a boring little car like a 1995 Civic Hatchback and you wouldn't be riding at all. Bikes are higher maintenance than cars and a lot of bikes cost more to insure than cars. The argument that a bike is cheaper than a little puddle-jumper car like that is specious at best.

Why would anyone in their right mind ride a motorcycle in Canada, in winter? That's just idiotic.

New frontier? I was riding all year, every yr, in blizzards etc on my 89 CBR 600, almost 20 yrs ago.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind ride a motorcycle in Canada, in winter? That's just idiotic.
    It may be idiotic to you but don't push your opinion on people that do ride in winter. It may be idiotic for you to leave your house.

I would never ride with snow on the ground, I would love too with the right bike and gear,it would be fun, but you are forgetting about the other drivers around you.

I got hit from behind without snow just because it was raining a little, I don't think i would make it alive even one season.

To many bad drivers out there, and its getting worse
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

it would save me 200 dollars a month in parking at work, I don't see anything idiotic about that.

also I know some people that dont have a car, and ride through the winter so they don't have to take the bus, ask Adri in this board.

not everyone just uses their bikes to pose at timmies like most in here, riding is not just a thing they do.

I wouldn't do it because of bad drivers but I would understand why others would.
    Last edited by ZX600; 11-27-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Pot, meet kettle.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

How long have you been riding for?
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

LOL at bikes outbraking cars

Winter riding sucks. So boring.
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

New frontier ?? pardon my laughter.

I rode home from St. Catherines to Fort Erie in weather bad enough to close the QEW and this was 30+ years ago.

Its like any other skill - you learn it and use judgement over conditions.

I'd not take the Burgman in snow tho others have, I'd ride the KLR650 without a thought tho.
    Ideal ride is something like a 250 dual sport with narrow tires and easy to kick upright.

Maybe "scooter" riders are a bit more intrepid

and yes it's fun.

••••

Rain is clearing out - time for a Shed run....inside in November is boring.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here